Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oh Roger, Roger, Roger. When will you learn?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oh Roger, Roger, Roger. When will you learn?
    Posted: September 25 2022 at 06:19
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 07:03
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 07:46
I lost all respect for Roger Waters when he couldn't refrain from allowing his acerbic political and social viewpoints infiltrate his music. It destroyed Pink Floyd, at least for me, beginning with Animals.
“I don’t like country music, but I don’t mean to denigrate those who do. And for those who like country music, denigrate means to ‘put down.'” – Bob Newhart
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 08:31
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Roger Waters gigs in Poland cancelled amid Ukraine backlash - BBC News

Interesting. I am not a fan of censorship. No matter what we think of Waters, he has a right to his opinion and there is far too much cancelling of people because the establishment don't agree with certain views.

Having said all of that, my opinion on the matter is one of great shame. As a young man, Animals, The Wall, and The Final Cut were a huge influence on me, the former especially setting my personal political journey agenda for many years. Regrettably, I just feel that he has grown into an old tit, and this is regrettable.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 08:43
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

I lost all respect for Roger Waters when he couldn't refrain from allowing his acerbic political and social viewpoints infiltrate his music. It destroyed Pink Floyd, at least for me, beginning with Animals.

Hi,

Roger has the right to say it ... but he has become totally senseless when it comes to making sense and knowing what to say and where. His bit about Ukraine, is in a lot of ways not cool at all, and simply shows someone who is no longer in tune with the pulse of the world out there ... that his own politics are now somewhat sided with those of commercial dictators in search for mor money and loot ... and for this, I have not bought much of anything of his and the last was the disappointing CA IRA, which badly needed a guitar, and some better instrumentation, instead of the fake classical style and totally ... off the mark lyrics ... !

He fights for "freedom in one piece and then turns around in another! It just seems hypocritical to me, and completely out of touch!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 09:00
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

Yeah, I've always preferred early Floyd, right up to Dark Side. The music is too stadium rock and dreary after that.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 12:02
I love the ethics that Roger Waters has put into his craft as a musician - the fact that his musical inspiration has waned does not depend on his political views but on the fact that it is physiological as he ages.

I especially appreciate Waters' (and Brian Eno's) commitment to the BDS campaign against Israeli settlements. About Syria, Waters has, as always, quite right the criticisms to be made of the West, but probably, according to my information, he has underrated the Syrian and Russian crimes. And even in the case of this war against Ukraine, Waters, unsurprisingly, tends to focus on criticism of the West rather than criticism of Russia.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - September 25 2022 at 12:05
"Happiness is real only when shared"
gents View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote gents Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 13:30
Reading all that I like more and more Waters and I think we need more people like that specially if someone is right. And I must tell you people that Waters is very right. And who doesn't see that as well, there is no hope for him. That's why he is not playing in Poland. Because of truth.....and thats what people are afraid of.....truth
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 14:23
^ Someone who uses the word "truth" to vent an opinion can never be trusted.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 14:24
Originally posted by gents gents wrote:

Reading all that I like more and more Waters and I think we need more people like that specially if someone is right. And I must tell you people that Waters is very right. And who doesn't see that as well, there is no hope for him. That's why he is not playing in Poland. Because of truth.....and thats what people are afraid of.....truth

"And I must tell you people that Waters is very right".

Really?? If you can tell me HOW he's right, I'd be very interested to know.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 14:34
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

^ Someone who uses the word "truth" to vent an opinion can never be trusted.
The former USSR's main and only daily, PRAVDA seemingly still has an audience. FYI Pravda means Truth LOLEmbarrassed
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 14:35

He is not right, he is definitely left....and wealthy to boot. Wink “Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius)" .

Edited by tszirmay - September 25 2022 at 14:37
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 15:55
And who knows which is which and who is who?

Rather appropriate in this context, methinks. Taken from Us and Them.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 16:25

The only time I have disagree with Ol'Rog in the XXIst C, is when he backed up the English fox hunts
(Hanging on quiet desperation is the english way)

He's absolutely right about NATO being a toxic affair

But Putin is an idiot for having dived in head first in this blatant provocation.

Boycotting Poland and Hungary is about as sane and safe there is, despite the latter being +/- less on Russia's side (Orban is about as idiotic as Erdogan). Wish that a Polexit and Hungarexit be organized ASAP.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 17:10
It always hurts me to see fellow left wingers siding with somebody like Putin. WTF? There are good reasons to criticise NATO and the Americans, but it should be obvious that Putin is far worse according to what should be left values (and he's admired by fascists and authoritarians all over the world). Nothing of what the man stands for and what his country does should appeal to us. It seems quite clear to me that anti-American/NATO preconceptions lead to a one-sided view that isn't really interested in what goes on in Russia or what the Russians do elsewhere but focuses only on what seems to be wrong on the Western side, and whatever is done against NATO then seems to be justified, regardless of who does it and why, and what the consequences are. Sad!

I do think by the way that Roger honestly stands for what he believes in, and this is his right. He should better analyse what is going on though.

Edited by Lewian - September 25 2022 at 17:12
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 19:35
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

The only time I have disagree with Ol'Rog in the XXIst C, is when he backed up the English fox hunts

But Putin is an idiot for having dived in head first in this blatant provocation.

Boycotting Poland and Hungary is about as sane and safe there is, despite the latter being +/- less on Russia's side (Orban is about as idiotic as Erdogan). Wish that a Polexit and Hungarexit be organized ASAP.

Orban may be an idiot but being voted in 5 times and 4 consecutively means that the majority of the Hungarian electorate want him in power , much to the chagrin of the Belgian-led Verhofstadt crew, who (Guy I mean) is a the real idiot. Unless you suggest to let all non-Hungarian Europeans vote for a Hungarian government and deny all Hungarians the right to vote , European values are thus saved, problem solved ! Or why bother with elections at all , just get rid of all national governments and let Brussels rule everyone? That is true democracy when your side wins. How quaint!
Why not focus now on Italy , soon to have unacceptable government ? Perhaps if there would be only Brussels ruling and no more elections, things would be better? sounds very reich-ish to me .....

Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 22:37
I don't know if Waters is necessarily right wing or left wing. At this stage I think he is just a cantankerous old bugger who is very upset that the world isn't the way he would want it to be, particularly after all the finger wagging he's done over the course of his recording career.

I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 23:53
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

^ I'm with Sean. Unfortunately today my Country has started following the path of Hungary and Poland. I'm undecided about migrating or taking a gun.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 03:07
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

It always hurts me to see fellow left wingers siding with somebody like Putin. WTF? There are good reasons to criticise NATO and the Americans, but it should be obvious that Putin is far worse according to what should be left values (and he's admired by fascists and authoritarians all over the world). Nothing of what the man stands for and what his country does should appeal to us. It seems quite clear to me that anti-American/NATO preconceptions lead to a one-sided view that isn't really interested in what goes on in Russia or what the Russians do elsewhere but focuses only on what seems to be wrong on the Western side, and whatever is done against NATO then seems to be justified, regardless of who does it and why, and what the consequences are. Sad!

I do think by the way that Roger honestly stands for what he believes in, and this is his right. He should better analyse what is going on though.

You may want to do that yourself, instead of listening only to Western Nato-ized propaganda. 
Seriously analyzing what Waters says, rather than dismiss it as old-man-ramblings. 

Who is on Putin's side??ConfusedShocked Not me!! 
The man goon is an arsehole , a psychopath and a murderer 

I'm just against the toxic side of an organization based in Brussels (I cross path with some of them militaries every day - at the supermarket, for ex) that is brewing trouble and creating enemies for the last two decades in order to survive and justify its existence.... It's very unwise to "attack" Russia (or bait it like NATO did), strategy-wise for the next few centuries, because of the permanent troubles that will be brewing from it but also an ecological and economical catastrophe in terms of the planet's survival.

Ukraine is at least guilty of creating the problems in Crimea and Donbass, by doing everything to suppress and repress its Russian minorities since 2009 (look it up if you don't believe me). The worst part is that the same thing is Happening inside NATO and the EC, in Latvia, where the Russian almost-majority is being denied its culture and language. They're becoming second-class citizens in the country where they're born. Yet no-one in the west speaks of these problems, content to look the other way, not seeing these ethnic-cleansing (peacefully-done, though) matters.

Furthermore, we should be very careful about how Russia could/will crumble down.... An Arsehole like Putin is necessary to keep it the way it was, even if we don't like it.  The last thing we all want is for extreme-east Siberia (Kamchatka & Yakutia) to fall between the greedy paws of the Chinese, who are already invading it (immigration +/- 0.5M/year & colonization of the Russian arctic coast). Those mostly un-tapped natural reserves cannot fall into their grubby hands. Indeed, between the two Russian cities of Irkutsk and Vladivostok, there are hundred of "tribes" that would face extinction like the Ouďgours and Tibetans, under the Han regime (just like the Hans are dominating the  Formosa original tribes in Taiwan). Not even mentioning the ores and wildlife of the vastly & mostly empty lands. If you ask a Yakut whether he prefers the Russians or the Hans, no doubt he will say the former. 

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 03:28
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Orban may be an idiot but being voted in 5 times and 4 consecutively means that the majority of the Hungarian electorate want him in power , much to the chagrin of the Belgian-led Verhofstadt crew, who (Guy I mean) is a the real idiot. Unless you suggest to let all non-Hungarian Europeans vote for a Hungarian government and deny all Hungarians the right to vote , European values are thus saved, problem solved ! Or why bother with elections at all , just get rid of all national governments and let Brussels rule everyone? That is true democracy when your side wins. How quaint!
Why not focus now on Italy , soon to have unacceptable government ? Perhaps if there would be only Brussels ruling and no more elections, things would be better? sounds very reich-ish to me .....

are you writing in small print because you know you're saying something relatively (let's stay polite and not say totally)  stooooopid? Tongue

Orban is a near-fascist totalitarian: repressing opposition and sexual minorities and other liberties (like Erdogan in Turkey or like Poland is) and  he's modified the country's constitution so he stays in power (like Putin & Erdogan or the Chinese communist party). Poland's regime is following suit. And so is Italy, since yesterday.Cry

And your stubborn relentlessness attacks on Verhofstad (a liberal-capitalist) is really weirdConfused. Furthermore, he's been mostly out of the public's eye for nearly a decade. You should be attacking his Belgian heir, Charles Michel (the European council president, who is clearly a US/NATONuke puppet - which Verhofstadt wasn't) and Ursula sucking NATO dicks.

The very same USA-dominated toxic NATO that is currently demolishing the European aeronautical industry by forcing onto Germany, Benelux and others the horrible F-35, a piece of crap that is still unable to fly without crashing. Planes that will be grounded by a satellite, if the US don't want them to be used. 

Wake-up dude!!! 

Edited by Sean Trane - September 26 2022 at 03:31
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>