Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oh Roger, Roger, Roger. When will you learn?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oh Roger, Roger, Roger. When will you learn?
    Posted: November 21 2022 at 07:58
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2022 at 02:31
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2022 at 05:15
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2022 at 13:54
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

^ So apparently Roger Waters has decided to live in what he calls the most evil country in the world. Nice to back up your words with actions.

It is strange, really strange. Waters also ought to consider that his freedom to utter such tripe would be severely curtailed in the paradise that is Putin’s Russia, where if you speak out you are more likely to be thrown out of a tenth floor window - oh, sorry, become the victim of an “unexplained incident”.

I used to worship Waters as a youngster. Now he simply comes across as a daft old git.

Love that descriptor...."daft old git" Clap. Clearly not sure what it means but I like how it rolls off the lips nice and easy LOL
I've never worshiped his heiness Waters, talented for sure....
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2022 at 00:41
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

^ So apparently Roger Waters has decided to live in what he calls the most evil country in the world. Nice to back up your words with actions.

It is strange, really strange. Waters also ought to consider that his freedom to utter such tripe would be severely curtailed in the paradise that is Putin’s Russia, where if you speak out you are more likely to be thrown out of a tenth floor window - oh, sorry, become the victim of an “unexplained incident”.

I used to worship Waters as a youngster. Now he simply comes across as a daft old git.

He’s definitely losing is credible with me over the trivial amount of utter nonsense he spouts out. For myself it started with the sacking of RW. During the recording of the Wall album. I totally agree with you on Purim’s Russia
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2022 at 00:26

Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2022 at 21:31
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2022 at 18:56
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2022 at 12:30
You might find this story interesting:

You'll see the PF connection toward the end; it's obvious that Dave & Rog have different ways of going about things...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2022 at 08:01
Hi,

I hope they lock this thread, and the other about Roger Waters. 

The whole thing is getting worse, and it is not something that helps "progressive music" or its artistry, when people are discussing politics and all the crap around it!

Sorry ... this thread is out of line, and has been from the start, and I wish that it had been locked sooner to prevent some of the stuff posted! 

I'm not into "politics" ... I'm into the music! Even though those come together often, in general, I tend to separate myself from those things. I have no issues with Roger doing Radio Kaos (I was there and saw the crap and he was right on the mark) ... but I got tired when he tried to milk THE WALL for his own stuff with a new album and later I enjoyed another album or two, but his ability to keep his mouth shut, or simply stick to the music has gone out of control in the last 25 years, and needed to stop, not to mention his arguments with DG and the band's management especially when he is taking home millions each and every year as it is!

Sorry Roger, you meant something a while back ... you are now a fat goon with nothing to do or write about except anything you want to complaint about.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2022 at 06:58
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

...The real reasons for this choice is clear: 2 million Budapesters voting against Fidesz and 8 million in the rest of the country voting for continuity. Had the well-funded by Soros opposition as well as Western leftist organizations (NGOs)  put more emphasis on the rural vote , the opposition would have won the election. 

Lots of remarkably awful takes on this thread attacking Roger from the right, and I simply don't have the time and energy to refute them, but Mr. Szirmay's comment right here is a bona fide anti-Semitic trope, as the far-right loves to use the 92-year-old Holocaust survivor as their avatar for all their various imagined nefarious global Jewish schemes. 

Really, I am a Far Rightwing now? Maybe a Nazi ? Funny, I did do my thesis on the NSDAP but not out of admiration but loathing, as well as attacking the Stalinist left, making me a direct-democracy centrist since 1972 when I witnessed it in Switzerland . Roger has called Netanyahu a Nazi, fascist ultranationalist etc...does that make Waters anti-semitic? Do answer that, please ! 
 1- Soros is persona non grata in Israel, he is not a zionist and quite reviled for his dubious role during WW2.
 2- I cannot be anti-semitic as I was married to Jewish woman for 37 years, converting to Judaism in Israel where I got married and my 5 children /9 grand children are devout Jews. Soros has been funding the leftist political parties in Europe since time immemorial. His wealth comes from chaos (by his own admittance, see 60 minutes interview on line). 

Quick question for you: Only the right media lies, the left is squeaky clean? Really? Same BS from two sides of the same coin. I promised not to reply but your jumping to easy , convenient conclusions about my character, well, that is unacceptable. You should have asked me for a proper explanation of my comment, that is what civilized debate-oriented DEMOCRATS do.   

In polarized America, you have only 2 political options, so it's EITHER OR. Well there is a third and many many more options. Your stand reflects that in your world ,there are only 2 colours in the universe, how sad....

On the subject of anti-Semitism, real or alleged (almost always alleged, in my experience), there is much to be said.

You ask whether we can consider Roger Waters an anti-Semite since he speaks of Netanyau as a fascist. Your question is rhetorical. But actually, the answer for many Israeli Jews and also for many European (and perhaps American) Diaspora Jews is yes. Add to that the fact that Roger Waters advocates a music boycott of Israel and the BDS campaign: Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions, and the accusations of anti-Semitism multiply.

In Italy, if you speak out openly in favor of BDS many people, Jewish and otherwise, call you an anti-Semite and cite Jewish stores closed by fascism if you propose to boycott them (actually it would be boycotting products from Israeli colonies, not Jewish stores, but no one pays attention to these essential distinctions). In other words, you are accused of wanting to discriminate against Jews, and you are compared to fascists. Thus, those who support Waters' battles are considered anti-Semites, and the Jewish community suggests to the Anti-Semitism Oversight Committee each year a list (a kind of proscription list) of people suspected of anti-Semitism or anti-Zionism, deliberately making the two terms equivalent.

In England, Corbyn's Labour lost many votes in the election because the chief rabbi accused all of Labour and Corbyn himself of being anti-Semitic, and this only because Corbyn has always denounced Israeli repression of the fundamental rights of Palestinians. 

In short, it is' obvious to any right-thinking person that Waters and Corbyn are not anti-Semites. Yet the campaign to pass off every person critical of Israel as anti-Semitic is very strong and runs from right to left (it is done by Jews and non-Jews alike) in Europe. Who benefits from this campaign? Of course, Israel. 

Ultimately, the charge of anti-Semitism has completely lost its initial semantic value and is now used, almost invariably, as a political category.

"Happiness is real only when shared"
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2022 at 16:39
Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

...The real reasons for this choice is clear: 2 million Budapesters voting against Fidesz and 8 million in the rest of the country voting for continuity. Had the well-funded by Soros opposition as well as Western leftist organizations (NGOs)  put more emphasis on the rural vote , the opposition would have won the election. 

Lots of remarkably awful takes on this thread attacking Roger from the right, and I simply don't have the time and energy to refute them, but Mr. Szirmay's comment right here is a bona fide anti-Semitic trope, as the far-right loves to use the 92-year-old Holocaust survivor as their avatar for all their various imagined nefarious global Jewish schemes. 

Really, I am a Far Rightwing now? Maybe a Nazi ? Funny, I did do my thesis on the NSDAP but not out of admiration but loathing, as well as attacking the Stalinist left, making me a direct-democracy centrist since 1972 when I witnessed it in Switzerland . Roger has called Netanyahu a Nazi, fascist ultranationalist etc...does that make Waters anti-semitic? Do answer that, please ! 
 1- Soros is persona non grata in Israel, he is not a zionist and quite reviled for his dubious role during WW2.
 2- I cannot be anti-semitic as I was married to Jewish woman for 37 years, converting to Judaism in Israel where I got married and my 5 children /9 grand children are devout Jews. Soros has been funding the leftist political parties in Europe since time immemorial. His wealth comes from chaos (by his own admittance, see 60 minutes interview on line). 

Quick question for you: Only the right media lies, the left is squeaky clean? Really? Same BS from two sides of the same coin. I promised not to reply but your jumping to easy , convenient conclusions about my character, well, that is unacceptable. You should have asked me for a proper explanation of my comment, that is what civilized debate-oriented DEMOCRATS do.   

In polarized America, you have only 2 political options, so it's EITHER OR. Well there is a third and many many more options. Your stand reflects that in your world ,there are only 2 colours in the universe, how sad....

Edited by tszirmay - September 28 2022 at 18:06
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2022 at 12:55

Edited by Gordy - September 28 2022 at 12:56
gents View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote gents Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 15:34
I'm not for Putin and agree what Sean says. Someone who is saying for 15 years not to put nato near him should be considered seriously. Come on it's Russia. Someone said that Russia is too big and needs to be smaller. WTF? What do you care. What kind of a statement is that. What would you do if your neighbour is putting rockets in his backyard and you telling him not to for 15 years. Could Putin made different choice? Maybe yes maybe no. The things went too far and thats what exactly they wanted. That Zelensky is a klown who is just doing his job. Unfortunatelly it's always the poor people who pay the price. The world is going in wrong way for very long time now and it's time for that to change. Unfortunatelly and probably with big, big and big casualties.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 14:13
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

@Tszirmay: Some Adolf Hitler actually became Chancellor after being elected to the German parliament for the second time. Being appointed chairman after democratic elections doesn't make you a democrat. Orban is nothing but a fascist, elected or not. 

Hitler only had a (thin) majority for a government after the March 1933 elections after a widespread campaign of violence of his SA against political opponents, and had pretty much all leaders and candidates of the communist party arrested, following the fire in the Reichstag. This election was about as democratic as Putin's referenda in Donbass, Kherson, and Zaporizhzhia.
Correct, Hindenburg offered him (most reluctantly and perhaps via blackmail through his son) the Chancellorship , with the hope that von Papen and Hugenberg would be able to rein him in. Not quite. Then later Hindenburg died. 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 14:04
Every time I fall into the trap. the PA political forums are one sided against everybody (i doubt the few fascists left listen to prog). Uselessly contrarian and endlessly obstinate, the main culprits don't even bother responding to any fact that challenges their opinions. Last bell for me. 
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 13:26
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

What I find distressing is that the PLANET is in a serious danger, a worsening global threat of nuclear annihilation, emanating from a real dictator and all you activists are still busy bullying a small country that has voted 5 times for a government of their choice. The real reasons for this choice is clear: 2 million Budapesters voting against Fidesz and 8 million in the rest of the country voting for continuity. Had the well-funded by Soros opposition as well as Western leftist organizations (NGOs)  put more emphasis on the rural vote , the opposition would have won the election. 

There is nothing inherently wrong with a Conservative party. Saying that Hungary is a dictatorship is plainly false and slanderous. But because he has won so often, the onus is that it’s authoritarian . Merkel wasn’t authoritarian! All EU /Nato countries are constitutional governments , left or right. Comparing Hungary to Belarus or Russia is plain false. Except Orban has been successful in getting the votes. A day before the April 3 elections , external and internal polls showed a possible opposition victory. There is the proof of it being fair. Whether one likes the result or not ……

Wow, Thomas,

I can't help you much other than pointing out a few things, but I'm probably tickling your magyarism (though I thought you were polish) too far. If you don't see it, I can't help you further.

Just about three weeks ago, Orban announced that he was closing his borders (once more >>> he was the first to rebuild a wall in Europe in 2015) and refusing any newcomers, because he wanted to "preserve the magyar culture and its uniqueness". Dead
Doesn't that sound very nauseating (like reich-ish ot aryanist)?Question
Sure, he's not professing (yet) the superiority of magyar people, but isn't that +/- fascist (at least uber-conservatism).
How long before he claims Transylvania as a hungarian territory? Ditto for some parts of Vojvodina in the north of Serbia? Ermm

Sooooo, yeah, Orban has won elections  (most of them stained with irregularities), but does that make it right in a democracy? Tickling your people in their nationalism was done in 33 in a city called Berlin, with the results we all know.

The only intelligent (sort of, anyways) thing Orban has done is not to boycott russian gaz & oil. Maybe the magyars will have an easier winter than most other countries on the continent.

========================

How times have changed... Shocked
When I think that Hungary got in trouble in 2004 (just after joining the EC) for wanting to call all tzigans/roms as hungarians.  Of course they (Hungary) got into trouble because that would've made hundreds of roms tribes as far as i India "europeans". That was generous... today, pettiness rules (all over europe). Stern Smile

==================

whether one likes it or not, but the old feuds in eastern europe are picking up where they left off once the soviets liberated/invaded these regions. It's almost regrettable that the Warsaw pact disappeared, outside a few internal invasions (56 & 68) OuchCry, because of the cold-war Europe has had 80 years (well, let's not count ex-yugoslavia in the 90's) of peace for the first time in thousands of years.

Not that the western side is doing it better, but far-right almost making it in France, Sweden, ItalyCry) - not mentionning secessionsit movements DeadOuch ala Catalunia or Corsica (or Scotland)... The whole continent is unfortunately going into intestinal wars area within the next decades.

Ukraine wanting to get rid of the russian past and minorities, Serbs attacking other ex-yugo republics because they escape Belgrade's authority,  etc...

BTW , I don't need your HELP. I never liked you from day one ,16 years ago....You are too pushy, way too opinionated and often rude, to my liking. I do love the Red Devils though

Edited by tszirmay - September 26 2022 at 13:28
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 13:25
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

What I find distressing is that the PLANET is in a serious danger, a worsening global threat of nuclear annihilation, emanating from a real dictator and all you activists are still busy bullying a small country that has voted 5 times for a government of their choice. The real reasons for this choice is clear: 2 million Budapesters voting against Fidesz and 8 million in the rest of the country voting for continuity. Had the well-funded by Soros opposition as well as Western leftist organizations (NGOs)  put more emphasis on the rural vote , the opposition would have won the election. 

There is nothing inherently wrong with a Conservative party. Saying that Hungary is a dictatorship is plainly false and slanderous. But because he has won so often, the onus is that it’s authoritarian . Merkel wasn’t authoritarian! All EU /Nato countries are constitutional governments , left or right. Comparing Hungary to Belarus or Russia is plain false. Except Orban has been successful in getting the votes. A day before the April 3 elections , external and internal polls showed a possible opposition victory. There is the proof of it being fair. Whether one likes the result or not ……

Wow, Thomas,

I can't help you much other than pointing out a few things, but I'm probably tickling your magyarism (though I thought you were polish) too far. If you don't see it, I can't help you further.

Just about three weeks ago, Orban announced that he was closing his borders (once more >>> he was the first to rebuild a wall in Europe in 2015) and refusing any newcomers, because he wanted to "preserve the magyar culture and its uniqueness". Dead
Sure, he's not professing (yet) the superiority of magyar people, but isn't that +/- fascist (at least uber-conservatism).
How long before he claims Transylvania as a hungarian territory? Ditto for some parts of Vojvodina in the north of Serbia? Ermm

Sooooo, yeah, Orban has won elections  (most of them stained with irregularities), but does that make it right in a democracy? Tickling your people in their nationalism was done in 33 in a city called Berlin, with the results we all know.

The only intelligent (sort of, anyways) thing Orban has done is not to boycott russian gaz & oil. Maybe the magyars will have an easier winter than most other countries on the continent.

========================

When I think that Hungary got in trouble in 2004 (just after joining the EC) for wanting to call all tzigans/roms as hungarians.  Of course they (Hungary) got into trouble because that would've made hundreds of roms tribes as far as i India "europeans". That was generous... today, pettiness rules (all over europe). Stern Smile

==================

whether one likes it or not, but the old feuds in eastern europe are picking up where they left off once the soviets liberated/invaded these regions. It's almost regrettable that the Warsaw pact disappeared, outside a few internal invasions (56 & 68) OuchCry, because of the cold-war Europe has had 80 years (well, let's not count ex-yugoslavia in the 90's) of peace for the first time in thousands of years.

Not that the western side is doing it better, but far-right almost making it in France, Sweden, ItalyCry) - not mentionning secessionsit movements DeadOuch ala Catalunia or Corsica (or Scotland)... The whole continent is unfortunately going into intestinal wars area within the next decades.

Ukraine wanting to get rid of the russian past and minorities, Serbs attacking other ex-yugo republics because they escape Belgrade's authority,  etc...

I am obviously not worthy of your incredible on hand knowledge but I of course thought you were Dutch (A another fine bastion of "democracy" . Anyways, I have been fighting this lost MOR centrist mindset and I get slammed by both sides for being (get this ...ignorant) I have been trained at a young age to be weary of extremist behaviour and rebellious towards blindly obeying any politician or fad slogan , as history has proven over and over that most if not all politicians are slippery by definition: staying in power is more important than achieving power. All are guilty of steering wherever the wind blows. So I question not only their rhetoric but also that of their opponents , distrusting their true intentions comes very naturally. I weigh all arguments, look for numbers and facts , then I apply my own rationale, independent of any Politburo . I will not be subverted, indoctrinated, converted or perverted by distortion, endless criticism, psychological warfare of words and Marxist-Leninist dystopia. On the other side, I will not bend to uncompromising and outdated failures like the fascist/Nazi ideology and NWO megalomania with the new current Global Social Justice Warrior nihilism claiming to be be liberal when in fact they are the culture fascists. If you don"t like a government , that is fine , that is why there are elections.  I will not bother to respond to those who say only one sides lies, distorts and manipulates....Please...
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 13:20
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Ok guys, before this thread is locked by the admins (I suppose they'll do before it takes a bad path) let me add something:

Sean has mentioned Erdogan (I'm used to call him Merdogan from the Italian word for sh*t). I'd like to spend few words about what the US, Nato and their allies have let him do to the Kurds only because of geopolitical opportunity. Let me mention how he uses refugees and migrants to obtain money from the EU. The old Rog is not totally wrong, there are nazis in Donbass and Zel didn't do anything to stop them.
I disagree with Rog on one thing only: the world should give a sever lesson to Putin, otherwise he would think to be allowed to restore the Russian imperialism, so that Georgia, Moldova may be invaded as he did with Ukraine.
One more word about Lukashenko, who is also known for making money with children adoptions from orphanages, and I mention adoptons only, because I don't have clues of worse things.

Apart of that, I support Rog's positions about Palestine (and I have Jew relatives).

@Tszirmay: Some Adolf Hitler actually became Chancellor after being elected to the German parliament for the second time. Being appointed chairman after democratic elections doesn't make you a democrat. Orban is nothing but a fascist, elected or not. 
I did my thesis on the NSDAP, and as an addendum, the similarities between Global Socialism and National Socialism. This was in 1975 . I have researched to the fullest. Your "opinion" is noted. 
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 11:20

Wow, Thomas,

========================

==================

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>