Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Benoit David vs John Davidson vs Trevor Horn.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Who is your favorite Yes vocalist post-Anderson?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [28.13%]
4 [12.50%]
19 [59.38%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 09:46
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Benoit David has the best voice out of the 3 (imo). I saw Yes with Horn and he really struggled with the Anderson songs, I thought he was going to burst a blood vessel.

100% ----David had a nice round sound similar and good tone similar o Anderson--Davidson is really bad IMO.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 12:54
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Benoit David has the best voice out of the 3 (imo). I saw Yes with Horn and he really struggled with the Anderson songs, I thought he was going to burst a blood vessel.
Thanks for reaffirming my decision to skip the Drama tour.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 14:47
Horn. I liked Davison better when he was with Glass Hammer. 
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
EduTatsumi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EduTatsumi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 17:15
Benoit David. His work on Fly From Here and the 3 albums he recorded with Mystery is amazing!

"Return to Trip" is an atrocity and far inferior to the 2011 version. As well as being a ridiculous and offensive attempt to erase Benoit's work in Yes.

--------

Also, does anyone know what happened to Benoit David? I think he abandoned music :(

Edited by EduTatsumi - September 26 2022 at 17:18
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2022 at 06:52
Also, does anyone know what happened to Benoit David? I think he abandoned music :(

I'm a Facebook friend of his and believe he's no longer in music. 
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2022 at 13:02
And now we meet in an abandoned studio
We hear the playback and it seems so long ago
And you remember the jingles used to go
Cinema View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2022 at 17:18
Jon Davison sounds terrible, like fingernails down a chalkboard. His voice is nothing but tribute band knock-off dribble.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2022 at 21:04
Benoit easily. I was pleasantly surprised when I heard him on Fly from Here, specially since I did think he struggled a bit with Andersons songs live.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2022 at 21:42
Horn by default
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2022 at 22:01
Hi,

Honestly, I would say ... none of the three.

In hearing various other folks do music by Bob Dylan, Beatles, Rolling Stones and so many others, the most obvious thing is how the interpretations help the music live. And in my estimation, what I saw here in Oregon on one of the last tours that Chris was a part of, was ridiculous, poor and above all ... sophomoric at best. Hand gestures hundreds of years old added for emphasis in the wrong place and wrong reasons, and all in all a clear lack of understanding or realization of the way the lyrics were sung and understood. 

Too many of those three tried to "copy" the original, and in the end, I think that it was ridiculous. I have not enjoyed any of them whatsoever, up to and including the original material they helped create, and in my book, they brought down the quality and value of the band we used to love called YES.

Edited by moshkito - September 27 2022 at 22:02
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2022 at 00:44
^ Trevor Horn in no way attempted to emulate Jon Anderson. He simply sounded like, well, Trevor Horn. Drama is one of my favourite Yes albums, definitely top five and possibly even top three, even though it sounds not much like what Yes had sounded like prior to this. Much of Drama came from material originally intended for Buggles, and if you listen to Adventures in Modern Recording, it’s almost like a companion album to Drama. If you get the re-release, there is even more Yes crossover, as the first song presented to the band for Drama by Horn and Downes is included - a two parter called We Can Fly From Here. Although Yes turned that down for Drama, it obviously still had some attraction since it became the basis for the Fly From Here album.

I can understand why a lot of Yes fans don’t have as great an affection for Drama, as it does sound like Buggles as played by Yes, but I do wish this iteration of Yes had not made only the one album. The world might at least have been spared from Owner of a Lonely Heart, had they continued, and that alone would have been worth it. 😜

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12