Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 7 Swans Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 7 Swans Albums
    Posted: November 08 2022 at 09:40
Stealing Psychedelic Paul's concept for a band he can't stand:) But I've loved Swans since my late teens. I've yet to check out erevy album of theirs. Maybe I never will as I suspect I won't be into their early stuff. Included three  essential live albums.

1st album - 12 points
2nd album - 8 points
3rd album - 6 points
4th album - 4 points
5th album - 3 points
6th album - 2 points
7th album - 1 point

Swans Discography

1983: Filth
                1984: Cop
                1986: Greed
                1986: Holy Money
                1986: Public Castration is a Good Idea (live)
5 stars1987: Children of God
3 stars1989: The Burning World
5 stars1991: White Light From The Mouth Of Infinity
                1992: Omniscience
3 stars1992: Love of Life
                1991: Body to Body Job to Job
4 stars1995: The Great Annihilator
4 stars1996: Soundtracks for the Blind
                1998: Swans are Dead (live)
4 stars2010: My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky
4 stars2012: The Seer
5 stars2014: To Be Kind
5 stars2016: The Glowing Man
3 stars2017: Deliquescence (live)
3 stars2019: Leaving Meaning

I'll start:

1 Children of God (12 points)
2 The Glowing Man( 8 points)
3 White Light From The Mouth Of Infinity (6 points)
4 To Be Kind (4 points)
5 Soundtracks for the Blind (3 points)
6 My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky (2 points) (underrated album imo)
7 The Great Annihilator (1 point)

-honorable mention to the spectacular: The Seer which feels wrong to leave out.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - November 08 2022 at 10:48
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2022 at 09:58
For one moment there, I thought I'd stumbled across one of my Top 7 lists by mistake. Tongue
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2022 at 10:41
Ooh, I love Swans. Add an Art Zoyd one and I will be one super happy camper. I could blabber on about both of those for ages, and in fact I have. :) ;)

And to think I got really heavily into Swans attempting to change Paul's mind on the band. Even if one doesn't like something, there can be value in knowing one's enemy or more exactly having an informed view of that which one dismisses/ dislikes/ disdains.

1 Soundtracks for the Blind (12 points)
2 Children of God (8 points)
3 Omniscience (6 points)
4 The Glowing Man (4 points)
5 To Be Kind (3 points)
6 The Great Annihilator (2 points)
7 White Light From the Mouth of Infinity (one point)

I do dislike leaving out The Seer, really warmed up to it, and "A Piece of the Sky" ranks amongst my very favourite Swans tracks. My order could change as those including the Seer I love,

* Omniscience is my favourite live Swans album and it is up there with the best for me. I would hope it could be included in the ranking despite it not making your discography list. It's one of my very favourite live albums. I adore it.

As for Deliquescnece, I haven't managed to hear it. Of course it was very limited release sale and now not available and the youtube stream doesn't work for my region (I don't use VPNs/ proxy services and such).

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2022 at 10:48
The older material is hit and miss for me but they get to 7 really great ones in the end. I admit I haven't checked out their live albums, which is strange as Swans are a big name in my world... but too much music, too little time... At least I managed to see them live on the Glowing Man tour. 

1 The Seer
2 To Be Kind
3 The Glowing Man
4 leaving meaning
5 Soundtracks for the Blind
6 Children of God
7 Filth

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2022 at 10:54
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

* Omniscience is my favourite live Swans album and it is up there with the best for me. I would hope it could be included in the ranking despite it not making your discography list. It's one of my very favourite live albums. I adore it.

Of course. It's included now. I'm not an expert or an completist and include any missing album that a you - or anyone else think should be here.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2022 at 11:12
Cool. So we got ourselves a temporary list:

1 Children of God (22 points)
2 The Glowing Man( 18 points)
2 Soundtracks for the Blind (18 points)
4 To Be Kind (15 points)
5 The Seer (12 points)
6 White Light From The Mouth Of Infinity (7 points)
7 Omniscience (6 points)

......bubbling under........

8 leaving meaning (4 points)
9 The Great Annihilator (3 point)
10 My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky (2 points)
11 Filth  (1 point)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2022 at 23:08
It seems we three settled the score once and for all:). It turned out a wonderful top 7 with all my truly essential favorites represented. Good job.

Btw: with only five stars, it appears that I think The Burning World and Leaving Meaning are equally mediocre. But if I had ten, the former would get five and the latter seven stars (same goes for Love of Life). Besides that seven might be underrating it, as I may not have been equally open for what Swans had to offer well into their ninth hour of new comeback-material (including The Knot*, Deliquescing, The Man Who Refused to Be Unhappy).

*which btw needs to be experienced at least once, Logan:

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2022 at 03:08
My only problem with leaving meaning is, as I wrote in my review, that they couldn't stop themselves from going too long. I think the first eight tracks are really great, top quality Swans material, but this only got them to 60 minutes or so, so they added four more tracks that should rather only have made a cutting room floor collection. (I have actually no idea how the process went and whether the last four really have a different story from the first eight, maybe it's just me, but...)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2022 at 03:38
^ Without having thought about it like that until now, I guess I feel the same way. I've listened to it less than their previous three studio albums though.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2022 at 10:58
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

It seems we three settled the score once and for all:). It turned out a wonderful top 7 with all my truly essential favorites represented. Good job.

Btw: with only five stars, it appears that I think The Burning World and Leaving Meaning are equally mediocre. But if I had ten, the former would get five and the latter seven stars (same goes for Love of Life).

Besides that seven might be underrating it, as I may not have been
equally open for what Swans had to offer well into their ninth hour of
new comeback-material (including The Knot*, Deliquescing, The Man Who Refused to Be Unhappy).

*which btw needs to be experienced at least once, Logan:

Indeed, and I would love to experience it, and have tried more than once before, but it is not available in my country to watch. If I had a VPN/ proxy.... I've looked for it elsewhere too, That is one that I have very much wanted to hear for considerable time.

Here is Omniscience for anyone not familiar with it that might want to check it out, which was recorded in 1992. It is long out-of-print. It is Swans at its more accessible, and I find it lovely and has great contrast. And speaking of Love of Life, I love the version of the title song in Omniscience.

------------

On leaving meaning, I find most of it excellent, and I actually love the first nine tracks, although The Nub, track eight, is a major highlight. I like all the song on it, but it does start to drag after The Nub. I think it's lack of contrast and energy. I think those final songs would work well if you had some other songs coming in between them. I think it could be longer and some of those shorter ones would work well being developed more. I like The Burning World, Love of Life and Body to Body Job to Job, but I much prefer leaving meaning. For me the three former albums were so good that it was hard to compete with.

Shame there aren't more participants, but other than some of the music of the past decade, it has surprised me how few at PA are into Swans -- particularly of the current batch as I know Swans had more fans at the forum before.

Edited by Logan - November 18 2022 at 10:59
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2022 at 04:38
1. To Be Kind
2. The Seer
3. Leaving Meaning
4. Swans are Dead
5. Filth
6. The Glowing Man
7. Children of God
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2022 at 05:59
^Awesome, that changes the list quite a bit:

1 To Be Kind (27 points)
2 Children of God (23 points)
3 The Glowing Man( 20 points)
3 The Seer (20 points)
5 Soundtracks for the Blind (18 points)
6 leaving meaning (10 points)
7 White Light From The Mouth Of Infinity (7 points)

......the rest.......

8 Omniscience (6 points)
9 Swans are Dead (4 points)
10 The Great Annihilator (3 points)
10 Filth (3 points)
12 My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky (2 points)
Dapper~Blueberries View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dapper~Blueberries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2023 at 15:12
1. To Be Kind
2. Children Of God
3. Filth
4. Soundtracks For The Blind
5. The Glowing Man
6. Cop
7. The Seer
D~B
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2023 at 10:11
Thanks, and sorry I didn't notice your post until just now, Dapper~Blueberries:

1 To Be Kind (39 points)
2 Children of God (31 points)
3 The Glowing Man( 23 points)
5 Soundtracks for the Blind (22 points)
3 The Seer (21 points)
6 leaving meaning (10 points)
7 White Light From The Mouth Of Infinity (7 points)

......the rest.......
8 Filth (6 points)
8 Omniscience (6 points)
10 Swans are Dead (4 points)
11 The Great Annihilator (3 points)
12 Filth (3 points)
13 Cop (2 points)
13 My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky (2 points)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2023 at 01:04
Yesterday, much to my surprise and delight, I actually discovered a Swans album I can listen to. Thumbs Up

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2023 at 01:17
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Yesterday, much to my surprise and delight, I actually discovered a Swans album I can listen to. Thumbs Up

Awesome! It's my least favorite album of the ones I've heard but nevertheless:) - three stars from me as well.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2023 at 05:34

just one:  1. To Be Kind
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2023 at 05:54
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Awesome! It's my least favorite album of the ones I've heard but nevertheless:) - three stars from me as well.
Given that our musical tastes are poles apart, it's no surprise that my favourite Swans album (so far) happens to be your least favourite, but at least we both agree on the 3-star rating.  Tongue
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2023 at 10:56
That is one album that I had thought you might appreciate from the period I thought you should most investigate. And the following two too, as well as some music off the live Omniscience. Hope you get around to White Light From the Mouth of Infinity ere long. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUcXHQ7VorrUQ4VcKSRo598i_8AhQplL_

There's hope for anybody who likes Dead Can Dance.   
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2023 at 11:06
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

That is one album that I had thought you might appreciate from the period I thought you should most investigate. And the following two too, as well as some music off the live Omniscience. Hope you get around to White Light From the Mouth of Infinity ere long. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUcXHQ7VorrUQ4VcKSRo598i_8AhQplL_

There's hope for anybody who likes Dead Can Dance.   

Yes, and I like Jane Weaver and Weyes Blood too. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>