Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Nik Turner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 11:55
Hi,

I wish I had something to say about this ... it feels like a friend left us ... and no more music from him!

I've always liked the odd ball players in many bands because they added something that made it come alive and enjoyable and different than the commercial crap out there. Nik deserves some credit here, even though he ended up having a very sad relationship with Dave Brock ... and in the end, the material that everyone remembers and loves is the one that had Nik in it. I imagine that Dave might feel that is bad for him, since Nik will seem to be "bigger" than Hawkwind, but I think that's peaches and oranges stuff and not necessary. I would have liked Dave to say some nice things about all this ... even in the end, their work together has been massive and something that many of us love.

And some of the solo albums Nik did ... oh my ... they were outstanding!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 13:59
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Nik deserves some credit here, even though he ended up having a very sad relationship with Dave Brock ... and in the end, the material that everyone remembers and loves is the one that had Nik in it. I imagine that Dave might feel that is bad for him, since Nik will seem to be "bigger" than Hawkwind, but I think that's peaches and oranges stuff and not necessary. I would have liked Dave to say some nice things about all this ... even in the end, their work together has been massive and something that many of us love.

Thats the 'elephant in the room' with any discussion about Nik Turner and Hawkwind. I personally think its really really sad that the exceedingly bad blood was not resolved, both made poor decisions and mistakes and in Nik's case, took bad advice and as old men could not have buried the hatchet. But that ship sailed long, long ago and Dave Brock's views about Nik are well publicized and recorded.. so....

On a happier note, i was recounting with an old friend seeing Nik busking at the Brecon jazz festival in Wales taking requests and chatting to the punters.. playing anything from Brainstorm to Teddy Bear's picnic..Big smile

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 14:03
Nik Turner's Space Ritual 1994

Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 23:44
I remember a time when it seemed most of the members of Hawkwind were immortal.  So many members, in a band with such a reputation as wasters.  For the longest time Bob was the only Space Ritual era member we lost. Now There's only Dave Brock and Del Dettmar, and possibly Simon King - does anyone have any remotely recent news about him?

And Stacia, of course.

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
Fjkpkwek View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fjkpkwek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2022 at 13:43
Man, and here I am listening to this alternative rock-ish track that he's a guest in, so I looked him up and I really can't believe he has passed away. RIP. Time to listen to Space Fusion Odyssey I guess...

Here's the certain track in question:

Edited by Fjkpkwek - November 16 2022 at 13:53
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2022 at 14:09
The last mention i heard of Simon King was that he worked 'in the recycling business' and refused any attempts to be drawn into discussions or interviews on his previous career. I seem to remember also hearing that his health was not so good.

Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2022 at 20:05
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

The last mention i heard of Simon King was that he worked 'in the recycling business' and refused any attempts to be drawn into discussions or interviews on his previous career. I seem to remember also hearing that his health was not so good.

Yes, I'd heard something vague along those lines.  In other words, he could have passed away without it ever being reported. Which is really a sad situation for such a legendary drummer. I wonder if there's some bad blood over not passing that audition for HW in 1982, because as far as I knew, there was never any issues between him and other members.

Don't mean to hijack the Nik Turner thread, but can't help wondering.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2022 at 03:58
Originally posted by Braka1 Braka1 wrote:

Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Yes, I'd heard something vague along those lines.  In other words, he could have passed away without it ever being reported. Which is really a sad situation for such a legendary drummer. I wonder if there's some bad blood over not passing that audition for HW in 1982, because as far as I knew, there was never any issues between him and other members.

Don't mean to hijack the Nik Turner thread, but can't help wondering.

I think he'd just had enough of music; i heard he was offered the drum seat in ICU but turned it down plus a few other projects which never took off. I think the failed 'Choose your masques' audition was the final straw.. but it did say in one of the HW related books that he'd had drug/ drink related health issues which was why his drumming was not up to standard.. knowing that some rather heartless/thoughtless comments like that get tossed out by certain HW members would be enough for anyone to say 'f*** it i'm out'.. bit of the pot calling the kettle black (are we allowed to use that analogy anymore??)

Yeah you're right. no more Hi-jacking Nik's ThreadWinkLOL

Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2022 at 04:04
I'm just going to say one other thing before I leave it be: in 1982 Hawkwind had been using drum machines, and drummers they had used were pretty straightforward thump-thud metronomic, which was nothing like King's style, so I could imagine him playing like he did in 1972, and not meeting Brock's requirements in 1982.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2022 at 06:10
Originally posted by Braka1 Braka1 wrote:

I'm just going to say one other thing before I leave it be: in 1982 Hawkwind had been using drum machines, and drummers they had used were pretty straightforward thump-thud metronomic, which was nothing like King's style, so I could imagine him playing like he did in 1972, and not meeting Brock's requirements in 1982.

Hi,

I imagine that it might be difficult to stay "in tune" when someone is just not there, and of course, the guitarist will be the first to sound completely out of it! Thus, seeing all the bands in the past 30 years tied to the metronomic style ... boring and pathetic, and that includes Hawkwind for the past 20 years!

I don't have an answer. Music, to me, is a HUMAN THING and not meant to be "mechanical", but instead to be HUMAN and sound HUMAN. In this manner, a lot of the modern achievements in recording and musical equipment, have hurt the human ability to not only learn an instrument, but to EVER bother playing it with anyone ... without sounding stupid!

I have never met, or found, a single person complaining about a single cord at the Fillmore West in any band you can count on, including many of them out of time with each other, but adjusting beautifully to still come off excellent all around. Today's bands are too stupid ... their ego would stop the song (or rehearsal) so someone could get mad at soandso! The whole thing just shows the lack of ability to play with people to the point that a metronome or machine is better ... why the fudge do you have a high school drummer, then? Or a bass player that thinks his only job is supporting the drummer to help hide any errors and omissions?

I am not sure that it was the metronome that hurt Hawkwind, and they did have Ginger Baker once, and he left quickly, and the thought was that these folks were not (very simply) better enough musicians to be able to make better music than what they did! And, sadly the past 30 years have been really sad and just redo's and more redo's!

Nik, to his credit, kept doing different things ... and sound very good in them, too!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2022 at 09:21
I was really sad to hear the news. Nik was a genuinely nice bloke. 

We had a long e-mail chat a few years ago - I'd sent him some of my music, which he really liked. There was talk of him playing sax on a few guest tracks on one of my albums which went nowhere. He was just a nice, genuine bloke and really, the soul of Hawkwind. Saw him in the mid 80's playing with Inner City Unit as well. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12