Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cruise to the Edge 2024

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TheCaptain View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cruise to the Edge 2024
    Posted: November 20 2022 at 10:29
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

Originally posted by TheCaptain TheCaptain wrote:

I've been trying to go for years, and this will finally be the first time I'll go. Is there ever an issue of not being able to get into a concert because the venue is too packed?

Yes, for some venues.

For the main headline shows in the auditoriums, they admit you based on the badge you're given. Those with the proper badge are guaranteed seating. Only after the show starts, they let other people in if there are still seats available.

For the smaller venues (the bars and nightclubs), they fill up fast. For popular artists, I've gotten there 15 minutes before the show, and it was already full, with no seating anywhere. For some of the lesser known artists, it's not so much of a problem.

The seating at the outdoor pool venue usually fills up fast, but I've still been able to find seating. When I couldn't, there is plenty of standing room on the outskirts and the surrounding balconies.

I advise making a plan of which shows you absolutely want to see, and get there in plenty of time to get seating. You may have to leave your current show early, or be prepared to stand. Shows overlap, so it takes some careful planning on how to jump from venue to venue, and when to do it.

Many bands perform two or three times, so if you miss them on one occasion, you still have a shot at another. Plan to see your "must see" bands on their first performance, so if you miss it, you still have other opportunities.

All that said, I think I only missed one or two shows because of lack of seating. But I enjoyed dozens of others, so my disappointment was minor. You'll have a great time!

Also, the ports-of-call are usually nothing to write home about. Stay on board and catch the bands. They don't stop playing just because you're in port, and they are the real reason you are on board!

Thanks. I was debating whether the silver VIP would be worth it. Seems like I'll be fine without it.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2022 at 07:59
Originally posted by TheCaptain TheCaptain wrote:

I've been trying to go for years, and this will finally be the first time I'll go. Is there ever an issue of not being able to get into a concert because the venue is too packed?

Yes, for some venues.

For the main headline shows in the auditoriums, they admit you based on the badge you're given. Those with the proper badge are guaranteed seating. Only after the show starts, they let other people in if there are still seats available.

For the smaller venues (the bars and nightclubs), they fill up fast. For popular artists, I've gotten there 15 minutes before the show, and it was already full, with no seating anywhere. For some of the lesser known artists, it's not so much of a problem.

The seating at the outdoor pool venue usually fills up fast, but I've still been able to find seating. When I couldn't, there is plenty of standing room on the outskirts and the surrounding balconies.

I advise making a plan of which shows you absolutely want to see, and get there in plenty of time to get seating. You may have to leave your current show early, or be prepared to stand. Shows overlap, so it takes some careful planning on how to jump from venue to venue, and when to do it.

Many bands perform two or three times, so if you miss them on one occasion, you still have a shot at another. Plan to see your "must see" bands on their first performance, so if you miss it, you still have other opportunities.

All that said, I think I only missed one or two shows because of lack of seating. But I enjoyed dozens of others, so my disappointment was minor. You'll have a great time!

Also, the ports-of-call are usually nothing to write home about. Stay on board and catch the bands. They don't stop playing just because you're in port, and they are the real reason you are on board!

“I don’t like country music, but I don’t mean to denigrate those who do. And for those who like country music, denigrate means to ‘put down.'” – Bob Newhart
TheCaptain View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2022 at 14:00
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2022 at 19:14
My friend went and got sick with covid on the ship (perhaps thats, at least in part, why it was cancelled in 2023 (?)).  Maybe covid will not be so much of a problem anymore by 2024.

Anyway, it seems to just get more and more expensive every year.  It'd be nice if there was a land-based American Prog festival at which the listed lineup could play, kind of like what Baja prog used to be (which I miss).  Maybe someplace fairly central (like Denver or Houston).  I know there are some proggy festivals on the E coast, but not sure they attract the likes of Steve Hackett and PFM.

Z
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2022 at 18:21
If I could afford it, I would go.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2022 at 07:39
Originally posted by TerLJack TerLJack wrote:

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Hey, nobody answered my question. What happened to 2023?
2023 was cancelled.
What other major North American festivals can we look forward to in 2023? It doesn't seem that ROSfest has any info on 2023 either.  
The year I can finally work my work schedule around anything, I was looking forward to it!

Big Ears in Knoxville in March is a very eclectic mix of all styles of music. I go every year and it's excellent. It's not a prog festival but if you have broad tastes its the best one out there.

Also

ProgDay - NC Labor Day weekend
SeaProg - Seattle in August
ProgStock - NJ in October
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2022 at 07:00

2023 was cancelled.
What other major North American festivals can we look forward to in 2023? It doesn't seem that ROSfest has any info on 2023 either.  
The year I can finally work my work schedule around anything, I was looking forward to it!

ProgDay. Labor day weekend.
“I don’t like country music, but I don’t mean to denigrate those who do. And for those who like country music, denigrate means to ‘put down.'” – Bob Newhart
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2022 at 06:52
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Looked at it the other day. My wife and I prefer balcony rooms, too spendy at about $5K for just the room. Plus I gotta fly to Miami from Seattle, there's another $800 minimum. Once I add up all the fees and food, drink and band shirts LOL....probably a $7K trip, for a Bahamas cruise?? Total pass.....Enjoy for those that do go. 

Hi,

Same issue ... from Portland, Oregon!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 16:57

2023 was cancelled.

Do you know why?
...because prog suxs, it's stoooopid....Clap

Well, we all know that! That's why us dopes listen to it. Tongue

...word mi bro!!...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2022 at 19:01

2023 was cancelled.

Do you know why?

Well, we all know that! That's why us dopes listen to it. Tongue
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2022 at 16:26

2023 was cancelled.

Do you know why?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2022 at 13:52

2023 was cancelled.

That's probably because it's still a bit early. I'm sure something will pop up for next year. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2022 at 13:51

2023 was cancelled.

Do you know why?
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2022 at 08:49

2023 was cancelled.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2022 at 01:48

2023 was cancelled.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2022 at 16:46

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 13 2022 at 16:46
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2022 at 14:58
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Looked at it the other day. My wife and I prefer balcony rooms, too spendy at about $5K for just the room. Plus I gotta fly to Miami from Seattle, there's another $800 minimum. Once I add up all the fees and food, drink and band shirts LOL....probably a $7K trip, for a Bahamas cruise?? Total pass.....Enjoy for those that do go. 

Yeah... It is a lot for even a single male like me.... It is a lot more than the progressive rock festivals of the past...ConfusedOuch

Yup.....US Festival '83, Heavy Metal Sunday cost me $20 Shocked
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2022 at 13:46

Yeah... It is a lot for even a single male like me.... It is a lot more than the progressive rock festivals of the past...ConfusedOuch
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2022 at 12:45
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2022 at 10:30
My main problem is that I don't have a cabinmate for it yet...Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>