Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Metal albums with incorrect genre labels on PA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2023 at 03:52
Originally posted by cold103 cold103 wrote:

Hi. Smile Could you guys list for me the metal albums that have been mislabeled with an incorrect genre on Prog Archives? When I listen to King Crimson's album "Red", it sounds like metal to me. But the album is in the "eclectic prog" category on PA. Same goes for their album "The Power To Believe". Also, Opeth's album "Damnation" as well as some of their other albums are incorrectly in the "Tech/Extreme Prog Metal" category. Those particular albums, while still being heavy, don't even have any growled vocals. Personally, I'm not into growled vocals, and I try to find great metal that doesn't have much growled vocals. I'm just trying to discover some great heavy albums that are excluded from the all time best progressive metal albums chart. Thanks in advance for your help! Smile 

Edit: IQ's albums "Dark Matter" and "The Seventh House" have a pretty heavy sound despite being labeled "Neo-Prog".

Does it really matter? It's music. Enjoy it for what it is.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2023 at 03:55
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

And the man has just asked for suggestions of "heavy albums" which are not classified as Prog Metal? Ermm

NeBeLNeST NoVa eXPReSS album cover

NoVa eXPReSS

Edited by Atavachron - January 03 2023 at 03:56
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2023 at 06:32

Not that I don't see the good point of discussing Metal definition here. Smile
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2023 at 07:13

Hi. Smile Could you guys list for me the metal albums that have been mislabeled with an incorrect genre on Prog Archives? When I listen to King Crimson's album "Red", it sounds like metal to me. But the album is in the "eclectic prog" category on PA. Same goes for their album "The Power To Believe". Also, Opeth's album "Damnation" as well as some of their other albums are incorrectly in the "Tech/Extreme Prog Metal" category. Those particular albums, while still being heavy, don't even have any growled vocals. Personally, I'm not into growled vocals, and I try to find great metal that doesn't have much growled vocals. I'm just trying to discover some great heavy albums that are excluded from the all time best progressive metal albums chart. Thanks in advance for your help! Smile 

“I don’t like country music, but I don’t mean to denigrate those who do. And for those who like country music, denigrate means to ‘put down.'” – Bob Newhart
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2023 at 07:47
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Edit: IQ's albums "Dark Matter" and "The Seventh House" have a pretty heavy sound despite being labeled "Neo-Prog".

Hallelujah!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2023 at 11:34

It does indeed matter when asking for recommendations of "heavy albums" which are not Prog Metal. Wink

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
cold103 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cold103 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2023 at 15:08
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Hallelujah!
Maybe I should've phrased what I said a bit differently. Tongue In other words, I'm looking for great heavy albums that are not on the all time best progressive metal albums chart. Smile I love Pain of Salvation, Ayreon, Riverside, and Symphony X, which are on the chart. Even Tool is not on the chart for some reason, but I love them. The following are also not on the chart but I also love them: Rush, Porcupine Tree, and Pink Floyd.

Edit: A Perfect Circle are not on Prog Archives, but I love them.

Edited by cold103 - January 03 2023 at 15:31
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2023 at 16:04
^Mentioned a few bands before, so have you listened to ni, Anekdoten or Body Hound? And what are your thoughts about them being similar to "Red"?
cold103 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cold103 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2023 at 00:50
Thanks for the recommendations! Smile I just listened to Anekdoten's album "Until All the Ghosts Are Gone" since it's their highest rated album. I thought it was decent. Maybe it will grow on me the more I listen to it. Smile The song "Shooting Star" reminded me a lot of Opeth's song "The Devil's Orchard". While listening to the album, one of my thoughts was "This singer is not as outstanding as Maynard James Keenan, Daniel Gildenlow, or James Labrie" Tongue About it being similar to "Red"- Hmm. I'm not sure how to answer that, haha. Hopefully that doesn't make me sound too dumb. Tongue I just checked Ni's and Body Hound's pages on PA. It appears that very few people have rated their albums. Shocked

Edited by cold103 - January 04 2023 at 01:18
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2023 at 01:23
^I would never choose the latest album for a first listen from a band who's been going for decades (Motorpsycho who seemingly just keeps betting better at what they do, being an exception). While Until All the Ghosts Are Gone sound like they always done - I'd say their earlier albums feature more memorable, stronger tunes. This one probably satisfies if you're already a fan longing more, but not so much for the newbie. Outside of PA, their first trio of albums are considered their best. Nucleus being their heaviest. That said, I've never been their biggest fan + I'm not really much of a prog metal fan.
cold103 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cold103 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2023 at 12:39
"Nucleus" is an awesome album! I just listened to it! I like it a lot more than the other album of theirs that I listened to! Thanks for the recommendation! Big smile

@Grumpyprogfan: To your question, I hear more similarity to "Red" with this album Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2023 at 13:09
Here is some ni.

cold103 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cold103 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2023 at 16:31
It's cool Smile My main complaint about it is the screamed vocals. This is pretty much my only complaint about Opeth as well, the growled vocals. I'm not into extreme vocals, but bands that sprinkle tiny bits of it, I try to tolerate, like Riverside for example, the singer screams in tiny bits. I love Riverside's 1st and 2nd albums. Smile

Edited by cold103 - January 04 2023 at 16:33
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2023 at 17:08
Not claiming Message should be elsewhere, but From book and Dreams is what I would deem a kind of Heavy Prog album of a sort of classic riff-based heavy metal idiom.

My two favourite tracks from the album in one video.

High Tide is another... various Coven...

I really dig a lot of kind of classic heavy metal sounds (which I've been told is not truly metal and should be called hard rock). I alos love the heavy wicked riffage on Gentle Giant's The House, the Street, The Room, and VdGG's Darkness, which I have compared to Red.

I'm much more into classic riff based hard rock kinds of classic heavy metal than modern metal generally.

Edited by Logan - January 04 2023 at 17:09
cold103 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cold103 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2023 at 16:30
Thanks for the recommendations so far, guys! I haven't mentioned the following yet, but I probably should so that you guys have a better understanding of what I like. I like heavy music, but at the same time, I don't like it to be too fast paced, nor chaotic, nor too aggressive. I love Tool's album "Fear Inoculum". It has a rating of 3.70 on PA, but I give that album a 5. Smile People probably don't like that it's not as aggressive as the music the band made in the 90's. But I like the album more than the music they made in the 90's. The only song on Riverside's album "Anno Domini High Definition" that I like is "Left Out". The rest of the songs on that album go too hard for me. Other Riverside songs I love from other albums are "The Curtain Falls", "Conceiving You", and "I turned you down". I love Tool's song "Disposition/Reflection" from their album "Lateralus". It's probably the softest song on the album. I don't listen to much Opeth because of the harsh vocals, but I do love their album "Damnation". If only they kept the harsh vocals out of their music, I would listen to Opeth more. I love Rush. Obviously they're not an aggressive band. They're kinda the opposite. Rush is, like, the most wholesome hard rock / metal band that I listen to. Tongue And I like that. All of the heavy progressive bands that came after Rush seem to be darker. Pink Floyd is great. They have a heavy sound while at the same time having a slow tempo. They sound heavy and soft at the same time if that makes sense, and I like that. Check those songs/albums out if you guys aren't familiar with them. Smile

Edited by cold103 - January 05 2023 at 16:33
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2023 at 16:53
Your taste is very specific.  Good luck with that.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2023 at 17:26
Uh, isn't that what search engines are for? Type in "bands like Tool" and results gush in.

If you're that limited in taste i pity you.

You are missing the spectrum of emotions from a wide swath of musical experience.

Good luck

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
cold103 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cold103 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2023 at 03:25
Cry

I'm hoping those remarks weren't meant to be insults. I love the following albums:
-"The Human Equation" by Ayreon
-"The Perfect Element, pt. 1" by Pain of Salvation
-"Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" by Dream Theater
-"Out of Myself" by Riverside
-"V - The New Mythology Suite" by Symphony X
-"In Absentia" by Porcupine Tree
-"Dark Matter" by IQ
-"Mirage" by Camel
-"Lateralus" by Tool
-"The Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd
-"Moving Pictures" by Rush

Even Arjen Lucassen (from Ayreon) himself has said that he prefers slower tempo songs over fast tempo songs.

I've tried The Mars Volta, but they're too chaotic / fast for me. Obviously great musicians though.

You can't blame someone (especially if they're older) whom just wants to relax and de-stress for not wanting fast-paced or chaotic music or growled vocals. Look to the left and you'll see that I joined the forum in 2005, which is earlier than all the rest of you guys, so have a little respect. Smile
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2023 at 03:31
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Uh, isn't that what search engines are for? Type in "bands like Tool" and results gush in.

If you're that limited in taste i pity you.

You are missing the spectrum of emotions from a wide swath of musical experience.

Good luck

Is this negativity really necessary? The user didn't say they don't listen to anything else. Also people focus on the "accusation" of calling genre labels "incorrect" (OK the user brought that on themselves) whereas the user probably just wants recommendations of some stuff that cannot be found where they looked for it initially.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2023 at 05:12
The PA folks are just trying to help you find music similar to "Red" as you requested in your OP. It's difficult to help if you don't provide feedback on suggestions offered. Some of the albums you mentioned are fast paced and chaotic - DT, PoS, Symphony X, and Rush. "Red" is very chaotic in spots.

Check out All Traps On Earth, Freak Kitchen, Haken, Anti-Depressive Delivery, or Them Moose Rush. BTW the latest Mars Volta release is far from chaotic. Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>