Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Metal albums with incorrect genre labels on PA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2023 at 20:46
Originally posted by cold103 cold103 wrote:

Cry
I'm hoping those remarks weren't meant to be insults.

Not at all, just a little exasperation.  No worries, it's a long journey.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2023 at 23:05
For some heavy instrumental prog, I recommend OVRFWRD.

EDIT:This makes me think that a category of interest is heavy prog. Rush, Porcupine Tree, Anekdoten, and OVRFWRD are all in that subgenre.

Edited by mathman0806 - January 07 2023 at 23:14
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 15:38
Seeing as many artists in the broad genre that is prog explore many different themes and musical avenues over their careers, I do like the way the JMA assigns sub-genres on an album by album basis, whereas on PA once a sub genre has been assigned, an artist is 'stuck' with the classification.

Edited by Progishness - January 23 2023 at 15:57
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 03:52
Originally posted by cold103 cold103 wrote:

TI don't listen to much Opeth because of the harsh vocals, but I do love their album "Damnation". If only they kept the harsh vocals out of their music, I would listen to Opeth more.
Well here I can actually be at help. Opeth last album featuring harsh vocals is their 2008-album Watershed. This means you got four additional Opeth-albums to Damnation to check out: Heritage (2011), Pale Communion (2014), Sorceress (2017) and In Cauda Venenum (2019) - the second and latest being widely regarded as the two stongest among those four.

-also Mars Volta gradually became less chaotic after their two first (and most highly regarded) albums. Not a fan-favorite, but maybe you could enjoy their less weird and kind of genuinely beautiful 2009-release Octahedron? I not a big a fan of the band myself, but I can listen to this from start to finish without my ears starting to bleed.

-btw, I'm not the biggest fan of those late Opeth-albums either. I enjoy a good old growl, but I can understand where you're coming from.
Greenmist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 14:14
This topic could just go on and on and on and on in an endless debate because afterall, putting bands into genres is always a subjective thing, genralising bands in any music field is subjective.   For example i have noticed that Lumsk are in progressive folk, even though they are a metal band, unlike what Jethro Tull, Pentangle and Clannad are.   I also think its strange how Celtic Frost do not have a page on here, considering Sigh, Kekal and Borknager do, who are all Avant-Garde metal.

Metal does not have to have growley or gutteral vocals to be metal.   Traditionally progressive metal vocals are clean, because their roots are from progressive rock.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123