Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Poll 10: Various years albums from 1967 to 2022
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poll 10: Various years albums from 1967 to 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: If you appreciate any of these, please vote for up to six albums
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [10.07%]
7 [5.04%]
9 [6.47%]
18 [12.95%]
11 [7.91%]
4 [2.88%]
10 [7.19%]
25 [17.99%]
6 [4.32%]
6 [4.32%]
1 [0.72%]
4 [2.88%]
3 [2.16%]
3 [2.16%]
5 [3.60%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [0.72%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [2.88%]
2 [1.44%]
1 [0.72%]
1 [0.72%]
3 [2.16%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [0.72%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poll 10: Various years albums from 1967 to 2022
    Posted: January 02 2023 at 08:41
So this is, I think the tenth, and probably last, poll in a series where I have tried to never duplicate albums that I appreciate and have made playlists of a track I like from each album. Still lots of albums I'd like to cover (and some of my favourite acts have not been covered at all) so I might do one more.

I have done this in part as I was losing some interest in music, and making playlists revives some of that interest and gets me to return to music and to listen in a new context. Here's the playlist (one track per album) for this poll in case anyone else wants to check some music out.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4KTJmQvGf-1OaNec8Wo4rQP

I expect that a lot of this music won't be to most tastes here (or known), but hopefully most people will find something to appreciate here, and some with tastes that trend to align with mine when it comes to a variety of music will appreciate quite a lot here.

Please vote for up to six albums depending on how many you enjoy (if you go over, that's no big deal, it's a pretty arbitrary number, and it is better than not voting for any). :)
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 09:29
1. The United States of America
2. Pentangle
3. Weyes Blood
4. Van der Graaf Generator
5. David Bowie

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 02 2023 at 09:34
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 09:31
VDGG
KC
PF
Magma
Bowie
Archaia
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 09:41
King Crimson - Red
Van der Graaf Generator- H To He, Who Am The Only One
Area - Arbeit macht frei
Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
David Bowie - Hunky Dory
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 10:18
1. Van Der Graaf Generator
2. King Crimson
3. Pink Floyd
4. Pentangle
5. Magma
6. David Bowie
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 13:50
KC, The Floyds, Bowie and Swans.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 14:10
The US of A, Pentangle and Bowie.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 15:26
In no order of preference: The Pentangle, King Crimson, The Residents, Magma. I just introduced the Residents to one of my nieces, who will share it with her sister.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 15:52
Floyd, Pentangle, VdGG, Bowie and Moving Gelatine Plates.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 16:35
Today:
VDGG
King Crimson
Picchio Dal Pozzo
United States Of America
The Residents
Laurent Thibault
On another day I might include:
Magma
Area
Edgar Froese
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 16:50
Once more far more than six albums that I love here. I go for
The Seer
Carrie & Lowell
Faust
Epsilon in Malaysian Pale
Red
Udu Wudu
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 20:20
King Crimson, Magma, The United States of America.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 20:48
Titanic Rising is absolutely amazing. I hate to say it, but it's my favorite album out of these (at the moment).
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2023 at 00:52
1970: Van der Graaf Generator- H To He, Who Am The Only One
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2023 at 01:23
Van der Graaf Generator- H To He, Who Am The Only One
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2023 at 03:44
I only have Piper at the Gates of Dawn and Basket of Light, and I hate the former now, so Pentangle gets my vote.

A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2023 at 13:10
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Titanic Rising is absolutely amazing. I hate to say it, but it's my favorite album out of these (at the moment).

Weyes Blood is fantastic, and (doing a Paul) I have been lifted up by Titanic Rising. I often favour what I think of as more progressive and art pop than what I think of as Progressive Rock and Art Rock, especially post 70s (and a lot that would be crossover). And I find much of the pop (as a genre classification rather than meaning popular) more progressive than Prog in a way.

Today I am more into the modern stuff and less what one would associate with traditional notions of Prog, so...

Pan Daijing - Tissues
Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising
Bruno Pernadas - Those Who Throw Objects at the Crocodiles Will Be Asked to Retrieve Them
Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowel
Swans - The Seer
David Bowie - Hunky Dory

EDIT: and since I said that one doesn't have to stick to a maximum of six albums to vote for, I had intended to give Art Zoyd's Faust a vote, which is one of my very favourite Art Zoyd albums and Art Zoyd is one of my very favourite acts in PA. .

Very glad to see so much that people do enjoy in the list. :) Thanks to all.

Edited by Logan - January 03 2023 at 13:17
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2023 at 00:45
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Weyes Blood is fantastic, and (doing a Paul) I have been lifted up by Titanic Rising. I often favour what I think of as more progressive and art pop than what I think of as Progressive Rock and Art Rock, especially post 70s (and a lot that would be crossover). And I find much of the pop (as a genre classification rather than meaning popular) more progressive than Prog in a way.

Titanic Rising has been the perfect album for me in the last year - and my most listened to. I must have spun it more than twenty times before I even thought of checking out the rest of her discography. When I finally did, I started with the equally wondrous Front Row Seat to Earth from 2016, and worked my way further backwards. Doing so I've discovered a progressive artist in the truest sense. From her dark ambient/experimental folk-beginnings through this sort of progressive folk / psychedelic folk-period (not necessarely progressive as in "prog") into her present grand, yet intimate baroque pop-era... I've been loving it all. Including the latest album And in the Darkness, Hearts Aglow*, which I've come to learn is the second part of a trilogy.

...I've tried to select six albums out of these, but it proved to difficult. I know Red, Duck Stab, H to He... and of course Titanic Rising would be "always" be among them. And probably Impropera... But I want five or six albums in the last spot. But these polls are mostly about shining a light on some of your favorite music and getting some replies, aren't they? I know it's mostly about that whenever I make a poll.

*before her solo project, in 2006, the eighteen year old Natalie Mering, aka Wise Blood (a little later Weyes Bluhd) played keyboards, bass, sang (and based on photos I've seen, often drenched in fake blood) etc... in noise-bands such as Jackie O-Motherf**ker and Satanized. She's come a long way since then:) Can't wait to see her live, later this year.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - January 04 2023 at 03:59
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2023 at 03:37
VDGG, KC, Magma, PF, Picchio dal Pozzo
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2023 at 11:14
My six:

Pink Floyd
Pentangle
Area
Froese
Magma
Art Zoyd

Not that I don't like other listed stuff, of course.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>