Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What’s the meaning of prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 08:28
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

If you don't like Jazz-Rock, then maybe you haven't yet given an audience to the sound of Audience. Thumbs Up

And what's the conclusion regarding the topic? Big smile
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 08:40
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

If you don't like Jazz-Rock, then maybe you haven't yet given an audience to the sound of Audience. Thumbs Up

Simply that I can't imagine a life without Progressive Rock, even though I've been far removed from prog for the last few days, listening to the funky soul of George Clinton (Dr. Funkenstein), as well as listening to Demis Roussos warbling his way through over twenty albums, where the only thing progressive about Demis Roussos is his albums get progressively worse. Confused

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 23 2023 at 08:43
amarthu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amarthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 08:46

Personally, I’ve had a conclusion thanks to moshkito’s remarks. This topic may well not matter. I reckon it may be a better idea to listen to whatever music according to your own feelings instead of trying hard to find a meaning or definition unless you’re a music reviewer or philosopher.
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 09:07
I think 'progressive rock' as a term has mostly lost its meaning. You are telling me that Sigur Ros, King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, Magma, Devin Townsend, and Mahavishnu Orchestra are all from the same genre of music?

In the early days, I think there were some distinctly 'proggy' sounds - Canterbury, Symphonic, JR/F, Zeuhl, etc., that were actually distinct types of music themselves. But they had some common elements that at the time were new to rock music, like: Long compositions, Time Signature Changes, use of non-standard instruments, integration with other genres. And the name 'progressive' implied anything that pushed the boundaries of rock could be considered part of this genre.

As well, there was a 'movement' aspect to it, but that movement, as much as it exists now, is a reaction to the past and the output of it, maybe even more so a reaction to what is popular on the radio, which it arguably was a reaction to in the early days of the genre.

So all these things that tied it into one genre that were never really very clear or exclusively owned by prog, exist all over the place. Sigur Ros is of course prog because they use non-rock instruments. Dream Theatre is of course prog because they have long compositions. King Gizzard + the Lizard Wizard are of course prog because they sound like the psych bands of old and change their approach all the time, . And so on. But the meaning of the genre, due to its inherent fuzziness, has just grown and grown, to the point that things that may have been spiritual cousins of prog are now considered part of the genre, and then thing that sound like them are also invited into the genre.

So it means many disparate things, and in some ways, it means nothing, and ...

well, I still discovered tons of good music by following the path of "What do people who like this music like me?" discover. But I can never say that when I started looking for more music like Yes, that I would have considered Bjork to be an appropriate recommendation. Took me years to get to the point where I had broadened my appreciation of music far beyond what I was originally looking for that I could be open to such a comparison. In the process, though, I became a little jaded about the value  of the term 'prog'.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 10:23
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I think it’s a medical term that refers to a complete recovery from anal warts

Silly wabbit, your confusing it with acne on the scrotum.....Google it! 
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 13:44
Originally posted by amarthu amarthu wrote:

Personally, I’ve had a conclusion thanks to moshkito’s remarks. This topic may well not matter. I reckon it may be a better idea to listen to whatever music according to your own feelings instead of trying hard to find a meaning or definition unless you’re a music reviewer or philosopher.

Well, reflecting about Prog and better understanding of it doesn't make me appreciate the music less, on the contrary. 
- But that's again a matter of preferences. Smile

Edited by David_D - January 23 2023 at 14:29
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 14:36

Simply that I can't imagine a life without Progressive Rock, ....

Which means, Progressive Rock is very meaningful for at least some people. Smile

Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 15:09
The meaning of prog is close to the edge.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 09:51
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

The meaning of prog is close to the edge.

Hi,

I was thinking close to the gutter!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 10:13
What's the meaning of porg?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 10:28
There is a fifth prog meaning beyond that which is known to man. It is a train of thought as vast as space and as timeless as falling into infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between images and words, between science and superstition. It comes from a place where dream and day unite, from scenes of a memory. It is a place of systematic chaos, and it lies between the pit of man’s fears, and the summit, which is a view from the top of the world, of his knowledge. This is the astonishing dimension of imagination. It is a prog interpretation which we call, "The Dream Theater".
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 12:48
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

There is a fifth prog meaning beyond that which is known to man. It is a train of thought as vast as space and as timeless as falling into infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between images and words, between science and superstition. It comes from a place where dream and day unite, from scenes of a memory. It is a place of systematic chaos, and it lies between the pit of man’s fears, and the summit, which is a view from the top of the world, of his knowledge. This is the astonishing dimension of imagination. It is a prog interpretation which we call, "The Dream Theater".
Psychedelic Paul must have hacked your login......Or assumed control of your mind.....LOL

Edited by Catcher10 - January 24 2023 at 12:49
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 14:04
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Psychedelic Paul must have hacked your login......Or assumed control of your mind.....LOL

I don't know quite what to think about it myself, but it sounds impressing and inspiring. Big smile

Edited by David_D - January 24 2023 at 15:06
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 14:49
The Astonishing thing about Dream Theater is I never even knew I liked Progressive Metal until I heard their second album for the first time. Images and Words cannot express how much I love that album, which was destined to Pull Me Under their spell. I've been Surrounded with the music of Dream Theater ever since. They were the band who Awakened my latent desire for Progressive Metal (before I even knew such a genre as Progressive Metal existed) and altered my Train of Thought about Metal generally. This New York band have really stood the Distance Over Time too, despite losing their long-time drummer Mike Portnoy. In A Dramatic Turn of Events back in 2010,  Portnoy announced he was leaving the band, temporarily throwing Dream Theater into Systematic Chaos, but Black Clouds and Silver Linings as they say, and The Spirit Carries On with their new drummer Mike Mangini. Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 24 2023 at 14:51
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 15:15

The Astonishing thing about Dream Theater is I never even knew I liked Progressive Metal until I heard their second album for the first time. Images and Words cannot express how much I love that album, which was destined to Pull Me Under their spell. I've been Surrounded with the music of Dream Theater ever since. They were the band who Awakened my latent desire for Progressive Metal (before I even knew such a genre as Progressive Metal existed) and altered my Train of Thought about Metal generally. This New York band have really stood the Distance Over Time too, despite losing their long-time drummer Mike Portnoy. In A Dramatic Turn of Events back in 2010,  Portnoy announced he was leaving the band, temporarily throwing Dream Theater into Systematic Chaos, but Black Clouds and Silver Linings as they say, and The Spirit Carries On with their new drummer Mike Mangini. Wink

That's great, while this kind of Dream has never got into me, even I've tried hardly several times - too much Neo-Prog over it. Big smile

Edited by David_D - January 24 2023 at 15:32
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 18:40
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

"There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission ... You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to the outer limits (the classic Outer Limits opening).

I just felt this topic was getting to feel like it was entering the Twilight Zone (these kinds of topics always do to me every time they come up) and was feeling like it had entered something of a strange dream theater.

I'm lazy, adding in a few Dream Theater album references while slightly adapting a classic The Twilight Zone opening doesn't compare to the effort Paul puts into those things.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 19:14
Did someone mention the Twilight Zone?

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2023 at 02:37

Prog wouldn't exist without reflecting about it, and reflection is the very core of the human nature. Star
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2023 at 02:39
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Did someone mention the Twilight Zone?

I'm surely not the only one inspired by Paul. Big smile
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2023 at 13:27
According to some people it's a city in the Czech Republic. I remember I was at a show for a Genesis tribute band and asked a guy I was talking to there if he was a prog fan (or maybe I just mentioned the term prog - this was a long time ago and so I don't really remember for sure). Anyway, his response (and I swear I'm not joking about this) was something like "you mean the capital of Czech Republic?" It confounded me mainly because this was supposedly a fan of early Genesis (this was for the lamb show by the Musical Box). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 25 2023 at 13:28
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>