FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What’s the meaning of prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What’s the meaning of prog
    Posted: January 28 2023 at 16:26
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Actually, I don't think it's that bad to compare Prog to beanstalk. Big smile

And you got that reference too, even it was from Shine on Brightly. Smile

Of course I did. I'm the one who said it. LOL

Okay, then how come you said it? I thought it was because you could remember that I once wrote in a thread

A Neosaur asked a Progasaur: "How am I doing?"
The Progasaur answered: "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?" Big smile

I said it because it fit. I was only thinking of the line in the Procol Harum song where he said it in response to the question of what is the meaning of life ( "life is like a beanstalk isn't it?"). I had no idea you mentioned it before and never saw your quote before. Maybe just a strange coincidence. Wink

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 28 2023 at 16:29
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2023 at 12:43

Okay, then how come you said it? I thought it was because you could remember that I once wrote in a thread

A Neosaur asked a Progasaur: "How am I doing?"
The Progasaur answered: "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?" Big smile

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2023 at 12:08

Good because if you don't then you might turn a whiter shade of pale. Wink

Actually, after I said it I listened a little bit on youtube and some were saying that "In Held Twas In I" was the first true prog epic. It's hard to disagree with that. I wonder how many of them heard the Transatlantic version though. Shine On Brightly is a good album though. I heard the title track on Sirius XM deep tracks just the other day actually.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 28 2023 at 12:11
Hokeyboy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hokeyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2023 at 10:44
What is the meaning of prog? Basically it's a hearty egg bread filled with brie, swiss, and mozarella cheese, then grilled, and finished with a berry compote and applewood-smoked bacon.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2023 at 09:06

Edited by David_D - January 28 2023 at 10:07
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2023 at 19:14

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 27 2023 at 19:15
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2023 at 12:41

That's terrible, but what do you think about the meaning of Prog?
Prog is like a beanstalk. Isn't it? Wink
LOL Thumbs Up
You get that reference I take it. Wink

Yes, I think I do. Smile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2023 at 11:26

LOL Thumbs Up

You get that reference I take it. Wink
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2023 at 01:07
Originally posted by Jacob Schoolcraft Jacob Schoolcraft wrote:

Originally posted by amarthu amarthu wrote:

It may seem a silly question. I’m absolutely a fan of prog music, but yesterday a comment saying ‘complex for the sake of complex’ which someone used to describe an album led me to think the meaning of prog music. My initial reason for listening to this kind of music is probably the state of tiredness of pop music, which has a quite fixed pattern. I like new sounds. But is complexity really needed to express a particular thing?

It's a fact that Prog is drawn from ..or created from other styles of music. It's mainly notable that Progressive Rock is influenced by Classical and Jazz , however its also influenced by Latin, African, Egyptian as well. ..in the sense that the essence of music derived from ancient cultures is often used in Progressive Rock to create an atmosphere. Interestingly all the styles I've mentioned can be complex or gymnastic to play. In some cases they are not, but in most cases they are. They require skill and precision to play . To an extent..it's much easier to play Rock , but once Rock is combined with the aforementioned it can become complex. Certain embellishments and or phrasing..for example music from India contains intense phrasing...people tend to believe its Rock guitar phrasing. It isn't. It's scales or modes played as lines during improvisation that were created in India centuries ago and then fused with Rock in our lifetime. It's complexity is natural to occur in Progressive Rock. I honestly believe that's the cause , gain, or interest in the music of Prog Rock and it's sub genre's.

Thumbs Up

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2023 at 01:01

An example of the best meaning of Prog to me

What do I mean?  Here are some lyrics:

Voivod - "Pre-Ignition"  (excerpt)

Hey you
Tell me, what's your call name
Closed negative display
Engaged on section three
The acrid factories
You

Putrid perfect product
Proper platinum parts
Proficient prototypes
Steadily spew from these pipes
Are you

Generated by waste
Arid quarry displaced
Environmental squeeze
Aluminum disease
You

from the album Nothingface (1989)

Edited by David_D - January 27 2023 at 02:06
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2023 at 00:52

LOL Thumbs Up

Edited by David_D - January 27 2023 at 01:39
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2023 at 22:09

Exactly. But the weird thing (and my main point) was that he was a fan early Genesis but apparently never heard the term prog. What does he think  it is? Classic rock? Classic rock radio only plays the later Genesis. Not the earlier stuff. Maybe very rarely something like Squonk or the title track to lamb (maybe) but for the most part only follow you follow me and later. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 26 2023 at 22:10
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2023 at 21:59
Originally posted by amarthu amarthu wrote:

It may seem a silly question. I’m absolutely a fan of prog music, but yesterday a comment saying ‘complex for the sake of complex’ which someone used to describe an album led me to think the meaning of prog music. My initial reason for listening to this kind of music is probably the state of tiredness of pop music, which has a quite fixed pattern. I like new sounds. But is complexity really needed to express a particular thing?

It's a fact that Prog is drawn from ..or created from other styles of music. It's mainly notable that Progressive Rock is influenced by Classical and Jazz , however its also influenced by Latin, African, Egyptian as well. ..in the sense that the essence of music derived from ancient cultures is often used in Progressive Rock to create an atmosphere. Interestingly all the styles I've mentioned can be complex or gymnastic to play. In some cases they are not, but in most cases they are. They require skill and precision to play . To an extent..it's much easier to play Rock , but once Rock is combined with the aforementioned it can become complex. Certain embellishments and or phrasing..for example music from India contains intense phrasing...people tend to believe its Rock guitar phrasing. It isn't. It's scales or modes played as lines during improvisation that were created in India centuries ago and then fused with Rock in our lifetime. It's complexity is natural to occur in Progressive Rock. I honestly believe that's the cause , gain, or interest in the music of Prog Rock and it's sub genre's.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2023 at 12:37

About Avant-Prog I'd say, RIO and some else of it has very good ideology, but Avant-Prog as a whole and the way PA defines it,
that is minus Zeuhl, stylistically speaking is surely mostly for feinschmeckers.

But I've noticed that some of the "feinschmeckers" can be fond of some poppish stuff, as well.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2023 at 09:13

About Avant-Prog I'd say, RIO and some else of it has very good ideology, but Avant-Prog as a whole and the way PA defines it,
that is minus Zeuhl, stylistically speaking is surely mostly for feinschmeckers.

Hi,

Yeah, no and maybe. I, personally, do not quite listen to "Zeuhl" that much.. I find it too much a copy, but that might just be my ears. I can put on Carmina Burana and all of a sudden Magma sounds great.

But, in Europe, there is a lot of music that comes from the higher levels of education in music and some of those folks end putting together things that sometimes ... are not for my ears ... but it took me a while to  enjoy Henry Cow, Dagmar, and many of those folks way back when ... it was so much the Universitarian style of music creation for my ears ... and this is something that you don't see a whole lot here in America, since it looks like folks don't go for the art of it as much as they do for their ability to gain either an audience or money from it.

As to it being considered "progressive", I have my doubts, but I don't like to suggest that one thing is this and the other is not. I prefer to stick with the "origin" of the music itself and the artist, something that takes away the comparison and the comments by others, specially when they hear a "sound" that is like someone else's. Reminds me of the early days, when people thought that Banco, PFM and le Orme sounded like ELP ... and that is a case of the worst plugged up ears ever.

Edited by moshkito - January 26 2023 at 09:14
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2023 at 07:04

Edited by David_D - January 26 2023 at 08:12
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2023 at 06:13
Originally posted by Argentinfonico Argentinfonico wrote:

I recently came up with a phrase that I think perfectly describes progressive rock: "When the musician makes the rules, it's progressive rock. When the rules make the musician, then you can be 99% sure it's not progressive rock".

Hi,

I like this ... and the sad thing is that many "fans" here do not seem to appreciate this, and will go gagagoogoo over a rehash by a well known band, specially when there really is nothing in it "making any rules". 

This is one of the reasons why the new PT, or even the JT song, are not that great for me ... they are not making any rules ... they are simply following a tried and true bit of success ... even with sounds that had been used before to "remind us" of the good stuff.

I would also like to improve that line so it would say something about a song ... if you are making the rules, it isn't exactly a song --SINCE YOU ARE NOT FOLLOWING ANYTHING! -- and this has been one of my pet peeves ... the majority of stuff today, is all "songs" and the talent tree is getting washed away by a commerciality that needs to die, although some folks here don't want it to die ... how easy, and how soon, they forget what got "progressive" started in the first place! 

The irony, is ... ghastly!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2023 at 06:00
Originally posted by Argentinfonico Argentinfonico wrote:

I recently came up with a phrase that I think perfectly describes progressive rock: "When the musician makes the rules, it's progressive rock. When the rules make the musician, then you can be 99% sure it's not progressive rock".

I think progressive rock has the meaning of "enlightening". To urge people to think for themselves and to see beyond not just a song but life itself (otherwise what's the point of art?). Just look at the best albums of the sub-genre. In them you will find theatre, philosophy, architecture, instant and gradual evolution, atmospheres, laughter and tears. You will find a percentage of life that is not usually found in other types of music. You will find an existential greatness that will leave you face first time you listen to it. You will find divine inspiration.

That's brilliant, thank you. Clap  
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2023 at 05:28

Exactly. But the weird thing (and my main point) was that he was a fan early Genesis but apparently never heard the term prog. What does he think  it is? Classic rock? Classic rock radio only plays the later Genesis. Not the earlier stuff. Maybe very rarely something like Squonk or the title track to lamb (maybe) but for the most part only follow you follow me and later. 

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2023 at 03:52

An example of the best meaning of Prog to me

and not bad Metal, either. Big smile

Edited by David_D - January 26 2023 at 04:05
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>