Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To which age group do youse belong?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 12:34
36 years old and been listening to prog since I was 16, 17, 18 or something after being introduced to Porcupine Tree. Before that there were some Radiohead, Muse and other bands which can cross into the prog realm. I don’t have any skills on any instruments, including my voice. Closest I got was Guitar Hero on Playstation.

I usually visit PA and PE daily unless I’m very busy. The main motivation is to find new music, but I also enjoy some discussions.

I have not retired.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 14:07
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by amarthu amarthu wrote:

Originally posted by amarthu amarthu wrote:

Ise don't want to tell. Big smile
Isn’t it weird that in English ‘you’ doesn’t have a distinctive plural form?LOL

just kidding.Big smile

You can edit the thread title you know... 

Yeah. But it’s not a mistake. Youse is a dialect word.

is it? 
ok then, i thought it was a typo. LOL

It's a dialect term used between Boston and Philadelphia in the northeastern U.S. I grew up in Philadelphia and it was part of my language. I don't use it as much anymore since I last lived there over 30 years ago. It's often used with the word guys, as in "youse guys." Though this implies a masculine meaning, the term as used back in the 1980s when I lived there was meant to be gender-neutral. "Youse guys" roughly translates to something like "you folks" or "you all." It's sometimes spelled "yous."

Other variants are you'uns, yinz, y'all. There are probably others. American English has a lot of variety and seems as if it has fallen far from the British English tree.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 15:23
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

...that sweet spot, which would be those born around 1955, people who would be in their mid-to-late teenage years during the prime time of prog, 1970-75...

Spot on, I fall bang into that group, or as I call it the generation who were just to young to be hippies, and just too old to be punks, so we got the prog rock.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 17:40
My age is a state classified secret, but I've been into prog from the very start of the genre.
So I'm ancient.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 19:56
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

E. I'm 52 (I'll be 53 in a few months) and one of those odd ducks who discovered prog in the 80s. Anyone else out there like me? Tongue

Also, not much of a musician but I own two instruments (an electric guitar and a full size casio keyboard -both were gifts). 

I am a few years older and I got interested in rock music in general in late 70s. Listened mostly to album rock radio so heard and liked bands who I would later learn to be prog. Didn't become aware of "progressive rock" until early 80's. Prog through the rock radio indicative of 80s - Rush, Saga, Blue Oyster Cult, Pink Floyd, Marillion.

So you are the same age as Steven Wilson? Wink
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 21:14
E. I’m 53.
First sought out “prog” as such in my late teens (late 80s), though i’d listened to it before that (mostly Floyd, Crim, Moodies, Yes) without calling it that.

Edited by HolyMoly - January 23 2023 at 21:15
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 00:04
62, musician but I do not have a lot of training. I first heard many Prog bands on the radio in the early 70s. My earliest record acquisitions were mostly hard rock, many of which are regarded as Proto-Prog or Prog Related on this site. Turned into a Prog fan specifically in the late 70s, largely from the influence of a couple of friends and my guitar teacher. I taught Philosophy, Religions, and Humanities for 20 years. Have a couple of degrees, including an honorary doctorate. I currently regard myself as a writer, but I am between projects. Any other writers out there will know what I mean.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 04:30
60. I remember using my elder brothers turntable since the age of 3 (confirmed by them).
I still remember a lot of their 45rpms which included Animals, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Giganti and of course Beatles and Stones. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 04:47

E. I'm 52 (I'll be 53 in a few months) and one of those odd ducks who discovered prog in the 80s. Anyone else out there like me? Tongue

Also, not much of a musician but I own two instruments (an electric guitar and a full size casio keyboard -both were gifts). 

I am a few years older and I got interested in rock music in general in late 70s. Listened mostly to album rock radio so heard and liked bands who I would later learn to be prog. Didn't become aware of "progressive rock" until early 80's. Prog through the rock radio indicative of 80s - Rush, Saga, Blue Oyster Cult, Pink Floyd, Marillion.

Yep. Looked it up. Born the same year, 1967. I am about 3 months older than Wilson. A number of musicians whose music I have listened to born that year---Dream Theater (Myung, Portnoy, Petrucci) and some deceased from the grunge era (Cobain. Staley, Weiland, Hoon).
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 23:11

Yep. Looked it up. Born the same year, 1967. I am about 3 months older than Wilson. A number of musicians whose music I have listened to born that year---Dream Theater (Myung, Portnoy, Petrucci) and some deceased from the grunge era (Cobain. Staley, Weiland, Hoon).

Oh ok. My older brother is the same age (born in June of that year). However, he played no role in me getting into prog (despite being the older brother). He was more into comic books and the music he did like was mostly alternative. I liked some of the bands he was into but other than maybe Yes (and a little bit of KC) he was not interested in anything I was into.
Megistus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Megistus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2023 at 21:44
Hi everyone, I'm new here.

My answer is d.

I got into prog music when I first heard Ozric Tentacles at about 15 (although already into Floyd before that), then Porcupine Tree... and things spiralled outwards from there.

I'm a musician making a space rock album currently. Hope to be able to share my band and music soon. Big smile
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2023 at 22:49
Originally posted by Megistus Megistus wrote:

Hi everyone, I'm new here.

My answer is d.

I got into prog music when I first heard Ozric Tentacles at about 15 (although already into Floyd before that), then Porcupine Tree... and things spiralled outwards from there.

I'm a musician making a space rock album currently. Hope to be able to share my band and music soon. Big smile

Welcome to PA!  We LOVE us some Space Rock 'round here, please share some of your music! 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2023 at 06:20
Hi,

I was thinking that the OP is missing one level ... AGELESS ... so it adds to the thought that some music is timeless and has no age. No one here is looking at composers 200/300 years ago as old foggies and idiots ... and none of us should be graded by our ... (well, I'll be polite!) ... _________________.

I find it sad to see how there is such a large difference in ages and tastes. In ages is not an issue, as I have been at this for 55 years, and even in the Space Pirate Radio bunch of folks there are some youngsters in there digging it, and from the first show in 1974 (anniversary TONIGHT ALL) ... there were a variety of ages, and not all of them were the same as us. 

The only thing that is hard/harsh, is how some folks are so brainwashed by "commerciality" that they seem to lack the appreciation for things that are further out in left field and out of the park. I would like to see more of this, but when you see yet another PT or JT thread, you know we're going even further backwards ... badly!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2023 at 06:26
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

The only thing that is hard/harsh, is how some folks are so brainwashed by "commerciality" that they seem to lack the appreciation for things that are further out in left field and out of the park. I would like to see more of this, but when you see yet another PT or JT thread, you know we're going even further backwards ... badly!

can you for once not insult us? 
"what commerciality' is that? You keep saying that, but no explanation is provided. 
PA users listen to some of the most out of the box, niche music out there. 

You don't like PT and JT threads, then just do not participate. 
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2023 at 06:34

"what commerciality' is that? You keep saying that, but no explanation is provided. 

Just a kindly reminder: You're talking to a brainless, programmed ego robot. Its statements don't arouse any feelings in me anymore, after I realised that.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2023 at 06:56
Originally posted by Archisorcerus Archisorcerus wrote:

Just a kindly reminder: You're talking to a brainless, programmed ego robot. Its statements don't arouse any feelings in me anymore, after I realised that.

I'm the same place, "commerciality" yada yada yada, "Space Pirate Radio" yada yada yada, "lousy admin's" yada yada yada. Repeat endlessly.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2023 at 08:30

Ok, we both know you really hacked me off a few months ago with your crass and uninvited disregard for Alan Parsons, but lets move on beyond that....

I'm guessing you aren't a Steven Wilson fan either, but putting that to one side for a moment, surely we can agree that his music has been responsible for bringing many to the sphere of Prog? I think Zeph's comments above are quite typical of someone his age...

"36 years old and been listening to prog since I was 16, 17, 18 or something after being introduced to Porcupine Tree. Before that there were some Radiohead, Muse and other bands which can cross into the prog realm".

Back in my day (I'm 54), the gateway tended to be bands like Marillion & Rush, which took me backwards through some of the big 70's bands. Consequently, we will always join in on discussions about our beloved 'gateway bands', which will therefore always be very popular on sites like this?

Its only natural that the more esoteric a band, the fewer threads there will be? I think it also fair to point out that members like Greg, Drew and Ian break their backs keeping the forums going, by offering a wider breadth of bands to discuss and listen to? As Cristi says, just leave the PT threads alone and support the threads that interest you, with insightful, positive comment?

Anyway, look on the bright side. I remember back in 2005, the threads were awash with Dream Theater and Opeth fanboys... if you're complaining about the abundance of Jethro Tull in 2023, then you have to admit, things have moved on! LOL

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2023 at 09:02

Hi,

The "commerciality" is just that ... sounds like! There is no explanation needed, and even Vangelis had been speaking of it in 1975. I find the only folks that don't like the term are those that continually post and support the status quo ... like it never changes in history and life!

I know that most folks listen to a lot of different things, and it is obvious in many folks posting from different countries. The niche is "out there" (as you say), but we don't talk about it, and continually go back to the most commercial and less progressive music of all, specially in respect to the origin of what the whole thing was about ... no rules (so to speak) and a complete turn around from the AM radio forms of music and style ... and here we are ... and you are not happy with the "insult", when it is not an insult ... it is a fact, as you look at the number of threads.

I suppose that we need some of these folks to make up the numbers of folks posting ... but I have my wonders in my head about how good this is for the viability of the style and the ability of the players themselves ... and many are actually afraid to do something that does not have some kind of familiar sound or effect, lest they feel their audience will leave ... this has been happening in radio since the 70's when the great American Rape of FM radio took place, and all of a sudden, it just became another hit station, which almost all FM radio stations these days are ... and sadly, many of the "progressive shows" on the internet have a bit of the same sentiments ... I do appreciate some shows here and there and that series of shows giving us all kinds of Jeff Beck was nice for a change. That is about the "artistry" that was created, and it is a valid study of how the music developed. But just the hits?

There are, however, some strange bits here ... and it was in a Steve Hillage special a while back ... " ... in Europe everyone wants to hear American music. Here they want the far out there stuff!... It makes it hard to decide what to play!" So, yeah, there are bits and pieces of quarks, strangeness and charm in all of it!

Edited by moshkito - January 26 2023 at 09:05
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2023 at 09:54

You can always rely on Mosh to put a negative spin on things. Tongue
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2023 at 10:20

I suppose that we need some of these folks to make up the numbers of folks posting ... but I have my wonders in my head about how good this is for the viability of the style 

Why don't you draft up a list of who you consider acceptable members of the forum. You can spend your time talking to yourself.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>