Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Happy Birthday Phil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Happy Birthday Phil
    Posted: January 30 2023 at 16:20
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 04:55
The 27th was Nick Mason's birthday, too
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2023 at 05:27
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

The 27th was Nick Mason's birthday, too

Despite being older, I think Nick is holding up better . . . 
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2023 at 09:19
Hang on in there Phil!  

Absolute hero Clap

Though I play guitar, I'm very drumming driven when listening.. (Bruford, etc.) love the jazz-fusion thing: Brand X, 'Selling England...' comes to mind (Epping & Cinema), but many on Lamb (maybe my fave album; Riding the Scree, etc.) so..

Now at certain age, listening to his solo songs evokes me growing up in the 80's, esp. summers.

a fave vid:

(Amazing how he takes the crowd.. so relaxed.. playing and singing all alone, a difficult one, I think (well, maybe all of them are). Amazing performer. I wonder Sting is thinking 'Wow.. what's with this guy!')

Fan facts up there JD^
Also remembered reading, can't remember if because of someone here, about the great admiration and peer respect as a drummer Neil Peart (and everyone) had for him.. something about Phil entering a hotel restaurant and everyone being in awe, including Neil.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2023 at 10:28
^ I have to believe that all of those guys are somewhat in awe of each other and the innovation and success they have all achieved. I know I am.

At the end of the day you can reasonably ask..." if there ahd been no Carl Palmer would there have been a Neil Peart, and if there had never been a Gene Krupa would there have been a Carl Palmer and so on and so on. They all inspired each other and added to the collective wisdom and importance of rock drumming.

Edited by JD - February 01 2023 at 10:32
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2023 at 13:35
^Well said Clap

Here I found the story I was referring to:

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2023 at 04:33
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

^ I have to believe that all of those guys are somewhat in awe of each other and the innovation and success they have all achieved. I know I am.

At the end of the day you can reasonably ask..." if there ahd been no Carl Palmer would there have been a Neil Peart, and if there had never been a Gene Krupa would there have been a Carl Palmer and so on and so on. They all inspired each other and added to the collective wisdom and importance of rock drumming.
I have never thought to Krupa as inspirer of Palmer, but effectively he was a genius. I'll relisten
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2023 at 04:53
I probably should have said Buddy Rick inspired Palmer and that Krupa inspired Rich, but you get my point.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2023 at 08:31
Yep even Rat Scabies (drummer of the Damned) was apparently a fan of Collins.

Phil was easily one of the best drummers of the seventies. Its funny when you look at old videos how small his kit was. I think he was a bit sneery towards the likes of Carl Palmer with their massive ostentatious set ups. Collins could make a snare drum on its own sound amazing. He didn't need an arsenal of gimmicks that's for sure. (I am a Carl Palmer fan btw so no intended bashing in this)
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2023 at 08:38
In all fairness, if you watch the Pictures at an Exhibition film you'll see Carl's kit was much more modest back in the early years. True he had gongs, but most drummers built their kits as time went on. Carl may have just been ahead of the curve.
Dapper~Blueberries View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dapper~Blueberries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2023 at 10:41
I really need to get into Phil Collins solo career. In The Air Tonight is a really excellent song.
D~B
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2023 at 13:40
Here's a great video followed by A CP solo. I think it illustrates my point.

mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2023 at 13:46
Great Drummer and great Entertainer
 Post Reply Post Reply