Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Genesis - Abacab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: What do you think of this album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [5.66%]
5 [9.43%]
15 [28.30%]
3 [5.66%]
8 [15.09%]
16 [30.19%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [5.66%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genesis - Abacab
    Posted: January 30 2023 at 16:40
This seems to be one of the most polarizing Genesis albums and to many the beginning of the end. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 30 2023 at 17:53
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2023 at 16:58
Like It or Not, Abacab was a commercial success for Genesis, but for me, it's just Another Record which belongs in a charity shop's bargain bin. Maybe not the reply you were hoping for, but it's better than No Reply at All. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 30 2023 at 17:24
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2023 at 17:48
Some great cuts, a spectacular mix, it is a gorgeous and frequently disappointing release.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2023 at 17:52
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Some great cuts, a spectacular mix, it is a gorgeous and frequently disappointing release.

So which one did you vote for?

I actually changed one from "not a fan" to "not much of a fan." If that was you then I hope that still applies. Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2023 at 18:01
^ 'Like it but not one of their best'
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2023 at 18:48
I think that description sums up my opinion the best as well. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2023 at 18:58
When judging an album that has highs & lows, does one judge the whole?; or does one laud the tasty bits, ignore the rest, and appreciate the good stuff that was offered?   Listening to Tangerine Dream's releases from '74 and '75, an argument could be made for the latter.  

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2023 at 20:39
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

When judging an album that has highs & lows, does one judge the whole?; or does one laud the tasty bits, ignore the rest, and appreciate the good stuff that was offered?   Listening to Tangerine Dream's releases from '74 and '75, an argument could be made for the latter.  

Maybe I should put Abacab up against Tormato. Tongue I get your point though since the title track, "Dodo" and maybe a few others are really good but "Who Dunnit,""Me And Sara Jane" and the last two songs not so much. I actually like "no reply at all" though but maybe because I heard it on top forty radio when it first came out and bought the single (which somehow got destroyed). 
The-Station-Pilot View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The-Station-Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 00:11
For me Abacab is easily the weakest Genesis album, something just wasn't gelling together when they made this.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 00:38
One of their weaker albums
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 00:49
One of their weaker albums (2.5 stars in my book), maybe their worst. Still it has a few good songs.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 01:09
One of their weaker albums
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 02:00
I didn't buy it when it came out but I did get 'Three Sides Live' on release.  On there is a belter called 'Dodo' which segues into 'Abacab' - brilliant.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 02:08
somebody compiled this and it sounds nice LOL

Edited by Cristi - January 31 2023 at 02:08
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 04:45
My Genesis studio album rankings:-

07. 5 stars 1974: The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LvZRqTE0R8CKQn3uj02Eete
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 04:56
I like it but it's not one of their best- it's good.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 05:59
It's kind of heretical on this site to claim to enjoy a non-prog Genesis album but I've always liked Abacab. These days I'd much rather listen to the early albums though.

I don't begrudge them one bit for going for the pop on this one. It was very successful and led to them being heard by a much wider audience, thus setting them on a path to mega-stardom.

Edited by Jeffro - February 03 2023 at 15:17
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 06:07
It seems to have grown on me more and more as I get older. I'd give it four stars now instead of the three I gave it years ago.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 06:20
They have done worse (with Invisible Touch). The title track used to sound fine on morning radio.
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 06:20
The original album is quite bad, but I made a different tracklist that makes it a very fun listen to me. No horns no other weird sh*t in the middle haha

1 - Abacab, 
2 - Me and Sarah Jane, 
3 - You Might Recall, 
4 - Man on the Corner, 
5 - Dodo / Lurker,
6 - Submarine

Only 37 minutes, but some Rush albums are as long as this

Edited by Deadwing - January 31 2023 at 06:20
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>