Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Best instrumental prog albums you've ever heard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best instrumental prog albums you've ever heard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 03:20
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Moyan Moyan wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Svettie?
Didn't I already tell you that I'm not Swettie? Why do you insist?

Because you behave just like him. LOL
I wanted to ask the same question. LOL
I'm afraid I can't help you on that issue LOL

If you say so, still,  I don't believe you. LOL

Well, as a forum cop, you know better than to believe someone who seems suspicious LOL
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 03:38

Svettie?

Well, as a forum cop, you know better than to believe someone who seems suspicious LOL

I don't know what a "forum cop" is. ConfusedLOL It does not sound like something positive. LOL
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 04:18
Craig Fortnam, an English musician and composer from Oxford, is most known for being the creative force behind projects like North Sea Radio Orchestra, Shrubbies, and Arch Garrison. He comes from a large family of artists and songwriters that revolve around the cult band Cardiacs. All of them have a distinctive and difficult-to-define style of songwriting.
His main instruments are the guitar and keyboards. 
Fortnam's second solo album, entitled "Instrumental Music 1" from 2022, featuring additional musicians who play a wide range of instruments and offer a variety of distinctive prog-folk instrumentals, is a masterpiece of instrumental prog-folk music that is distinctly English in its spirit.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 11:39
Cristi, I'm still not convinced either. Wink
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 12:07

Svettie?

Here's an idea! How about setting up your camera and explaining it on video? Nowadays, even the most basic phones have the option to record video. You can even hold your phone like normal and use the inferior front camera! That's what I would do.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 16:24
Though not accepted in PA, I would have to say the two albums by Giger Lenz Marron-Beyond, and Where The Hammer Hangs.....other worldly, but somehow accessible. (for me, anyways)

Also a tip of the hat to Passport's greatest album, Looking Thru....
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 17:12
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Though not accepted in PA, I would have to say the two albums by Giger Lenz Marron-Beyond, and Where The Hammer Hangs.....other worldly, but somehow accessible. (for me, anyways)

And Passport infinity Machine
"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 18:19
Love, as just a few:

Anna Själv Tredje - Tussilago Fanfara
Brave New World - Impressions On Reading Aldous Huxley (1972)
Bobby Beausoleil - Lucifer Rising
Dün - Eros
Art Zoyd - Les espaces inquiets
Ciśnienie - brass Album
Herbie - Hancock - Sextant (if Prog)
Godspeed You Black Emperor! - Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven!
Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die (some spoken part)
Boards of Canada - Music has the Right to Children (prog to me)
Franco Leprino - Integrati ... Disintegrati
Tangerine Dream - Phaedra
Univers Zero - Heresie
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 18:29
^ Are you aware that you have a convicted murderer on your list? 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 18:35
^ Yep, and it's still one of my favourite albums. That said, when I fell for it I did not yet know his history. It's the music I find great, and not the man.

Edited by Logan - April 17 2024 at 18:38
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 18:49
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ Yep, and it's still one of my favourite albums. That said, when I fell for it I did not yet know his history. It's the music I find great, and not the man.

I wasn't trying to shame you. I was just curious if you knew that. I personally don't think I could pull the trigger on buying an album knowing someone killed someone (ok, bad pun) but that's just me.  Anyway, like you said you didn't know it at the time. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 19:09
Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

And Passport infinity Machine

...and Cross-Collateral
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 19:10
The English band Telepathy, formed in 2011 in Essex, released their first full-length album entitled "12 Areas" in 2014 on the UK label Devouter Records. The record is a masterwork of experimental metal that takes the listener on a thorough journey through a variety of imaginative realms. Not only did "12 Areas" prove to be a rewarding album regarding the huge effort the band invested, but they also exceeded all expectations. It succeeded in being entirely captivating while addressing the dare associated with heavy instrumental music in a novel way. The arrangements are standout, and there is never a lack of passion. 

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 19:12

Have you heard Oedipus Tyrannus from the In Search of Hades boxset?
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 21:49

I wasn't trying to shame you. I was just curious if you knew that. I personally don't think I could pull the trigger on buying an album knowing someone killed someone (ok, bad pun) but that's just me.  Anyway, like you said you didn't know it at the time. 
I know Herbie be murderin' the keys every time he plays. Wait... is that not what we're talking about?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 22:08
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

I know Herbie be murderin' the keys every time he plays. Wait... is that not what we're talking about?

No but Herbie did do the soundtrack for Death Wish so maybe that's close enough. Wink

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 17 2024 at 22:09
Dirk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2024 at 08:20
Solar music - Grobschnitt
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2024 at 09:44
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

No, will look for it. Thanks.

Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

No but Herbie did do the soundtrack for Death Wish so maybe that's close enough. Wink

I like that Death Wish soundtrack. Yeah, Herbie be killing it.

I would be uncomfortable buying an album if I knew the artist did something deplorable and had not "repented/ reformed. I think it's okay if it's second-hand and money is not going to the artist (even if it's just to pay for candy bars in the prison canteen). I know about the murder and the ties to Manson but not why he ended up with a true life sentence (a death sentence originally).... Commonly that is for people who are completely unrepentant and still considered a danger or re-offend in prison (he has been locked up a very long time). I also have listened to Manson's music, but streaming. In that case I knew his story and was just curious. I have had an interest in cults and religions and what people are willing to do for them, the leaders, and that sense of belonging to something that makes you feel special. In the case of Beausoleil the case was different than others who get involved with cult leaders.

EDIT: By the way, the murderer is Bobby Beausoleil, who was associated with Charles Manson. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Beausoleil

Edited by Logan - April 18 2024 at 10:18
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2024 at 13:48

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

No, will look for it. Thanks.

Recorded in 1974 and included in its unabridged, unadjusted form for the first time in the ISOH box, it's a true grail.

First track.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2024 at 14:51
^ Wonderful, listening now, thanks so much.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>