Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A New Direction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 11:35
Yes....bands are often 'musically different'  but what does that entail;...they still sound like themselves for the most part and are not jumping styles or genres imho.
KC is not doing country rock nor is Neil Young doing eclectic prog rock...so where does this 'different'
 really lead us? 
Stern Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 11:47
One that hardly anyone knows: Good old east German Stern-Combo Meissen.
Der Weite Weg - Reise zum Mittelpunkt des Menschen - Nächte - Bilder einer Ausstellung
The last one is a Pictures of an Exhibition version that is orchestrated, pretty close to Mussorgsky's, and really quite different from ELP's. Note by the way also that Nächte isn't any good and most here won't enjoy Der Weite Weg either, but they have some really nice material on their best albums, and every album is quite different from every other one (which admittedly doesn't always work in their favour). I have only very recently discovered their Pictures at an Exhibition version and its easily their best since the early eighties.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 11:58
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Yes....bands are often 'musically different' but what does that entail;...they still sound like themselves for the most part and are not jumping styles or genres imho.
KC is not doing country rock nor is Neil Young doing eclectic prog rock...so where does this 'different'
really lead us?
Stern Smile
Always enjoy your insightful observations dr wu. I gave several examples of bands jumping genres. Zappa - psychedelic, fusion, classical. Rundgren - pop, hip-hop. Bowie - folk, rock, dance. KC - mellow, heavy, math rock. They are different enough to not sound like themselves imho.
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 12:14
I believe Miles Davis changed gears and that his so called identity..( his distinctive style and sound on trumpet), remained true in many ways. When he changed from Be Bop to Avant-garde experimental jamming it was a turn off to many Jazz fans. This is completely natural for people to react this way. Your favorite artist has changed and gone off the deep end to play Avant-garde. After a few years of Bitches Brew circulating a percentage of people that disliked it began accepting it and finding things they enjoyed about it.

Vangelis with the album Earth produced a more modern 70s style with similarities to Aphrodites Child and shortly after releasing his RCA albums which contained unique electronic music . Shortly after Chariots Of Fire he was butchered by critics and fans as a sugar coated New Age artist. El Greco, Voices, Oceanic, The City, and Direct are all fine albums.

Camel were often a letdown to Prog fans after the release of I Can See Your House From Here, Breathless, The Single Factor, and Stationary Traveller...and mostly revolving around people thinking that they sounded like a sell out type of Alan Parsons...however..on Rajaz..they return to a Progressive Rock style on several occasions.

Art Zoyd on the early albums were more acoustic and when they began adding electronics several fans were disappointed. I felt the change in direction was good and produced several interesting albums. One in particular being Nosferatu.

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 12:35
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Many bands/artists continue on a record-tour-repeat-cycle with every album sounding similar. There is nothing wrong with that, but how many artists can you mention that don't do this? Artists/bands that have at least four musically different releases.

I'd surely say that about Pink Floyd, ELP, Genesis and King Crimson - different to me. Wink

That is also easy to say about many of the artists who have had long career.

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 12:40
Jethro Tull

This Was (1968) - Blues Rock
Songs from the Wood (1977) - Prog Folk
Under Wraps (1984) - New Wave
A Classic Case (1985) - Symphonic Rock
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 13:50
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Although I do want artists to vary their output, I also think that artists should maintain their identity throughout their career. Thus, being eclectic is a balancing act.
I disagree. Let's say an artist has recorded four great albums. Now they record three that are really totally different, maybe even with largely different lineups. Why is this a problem?

Suppose an artist produces four very different albums. They may be so different that I only like one of the albums. Then even if I only intend to get one album, I would have to make sure that I choose the correct album. Indeed, I would probably have to make sure I choose the correct album first because I may not bother to listen to any further albums if I don't like the first album I listen to. Also, having very different albums make it difficult to recommend the artist to someone.

Frankly I don't get what "maintaining identity" is good for.

That is where the skill is with regards to eclecticism. It's easy to produce very different types of music. The hard part is providing a sense of overall unity to the music in spite of the differences.

By the way, in psychology and philosophy the concept of identity is hugely problematic.

I was only talking about "identity" in terms of how the average person understands it. I'm not talking about the "Ship of Theseus" paradox.

Probably some would say they lost their identity there but who am I to decide what their identity should be?

One example concerning the notion of "identity" is Black Sabbath after Ozzy Osbourne left and was replaced by Ronnie James Dio. When I first listened to the "Heaven And Hell" album, I noticed a rather strong Rainbow sound to the music which to my ears was quite simply not Black Sabbath. I like Rainbow but I prefer my Black Sabbath to sound like Black Sabbath. And it wasn't a case of "Heaven And Hell" being a bad album. Nor is this case really about eclecticism.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 14:23
Somehow I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Yes, yet. To me they are emblematic of bands that changed direction after almost every album. Not always to artistic success, but I think they always tried to explore new territories with every album (except for the last ones). Much more than any other band of the big six and many others in prog land...

Edited by suitkees - February 02 2023 at 14:43

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 14:47
Wishbone Ash

Argus (1972) - Progressive Rock
Wishbone Four (1973) - Hard Rock
Locked In (1976) - Pop Rock
Trance Visionary (1998) - Trance
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 15:06
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Somehow I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Yes, yet. To me they are emblematic of bands that changed direction after almost every album. Not always to artistic success, but I think they always tried to explore new territories with every album (except for the last ones). Much more than any other band of the big six and many others in prog land...

I was thinking that too. Aside from Yes I would say Genesis, Rush and King Crimson. Porcupine Tree also. Definitely not the Flower Kings or Ozric Tentacles. LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 15:10
Some votes for Genesis and Rush. Anyone want to list four albums from each band that are different?

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - February 02 2023 at 15:12
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 15:17
Rick Wakeman

The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Nights of the Round Table (1975) - Symphonic Prog
Lisztomania (1975) - Rock Opera
Rock 'n' Roll Prophet (1982) - Synth Pop
Crimes of Passion (1984) - Pop Rock
Aspirant Sunshadows (1991) - New Age
The Classical Connection (1991) - Classical Crossover

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 02 2023 at 15:18
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 15:22
^Working overtime Paul!! Keep them coming. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 15:25
Dead Can Dance

Dead Can Dance (1984) - Goth Rock
Within the Realm of a Dying Sun (1987) - Neoclassical Dark Wave
Aion (1990) - Prog Folk
Anastasis (2012) - World Music
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 15:42

Talk Talk (and they only have five albums)
Can
Amon Düül II
Pink Floyd
King Crimson
Art Zoyd
Kate Bush
Miles Davis
Jethro Tull
Banco
Franco Battiato
Brian Eno
Of course Mosh is right about Tangerine Dream
...all of the best really...

I would also add PFM to this list.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 16:23
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Some votes for Genesis and Rush. Anyone want to list four albums from each band that are different?

Genesis
Foxtrot (1972) - Symphonic Prog
The Lamb (1974) - Rock Opera
W & W (1976) - proto-Neo-Prog
Duke (1980) - Progressive Pop
Genesis (1983) - Pop-Rock

Edited by David_D - February 02 2023 at 16:40
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 16:53
^Thanks.

So W & W and the previous release, A Trick, may be the first neo-prog albums?

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - February 02 2023 at 16:56
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 17:19
Mike Oldfield

Ommadawn (1975) - Progressive Rock
Earth Moving (1989) - Pop Rock
The Songs of Distant Earth (1994) - New Age
Music of the Spheres (2008) - Classical Crossover
Big Sky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 17:28
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Suitkees, Agreed. For example, The Yes Album, Close to the Edge, Relayer, Drama and 90125 are quite different from each other. A good bit of that is due to personnel changes in the band. In the case of TYA, CTTE, Relayer and Drama there was a different keyboard player. Tony Kaye, Rick Wakeman, Patrick Moraz and Geoff Downes have significantly different styles. Drama also had a different singer. 90125 had Trevor Rabin replacing Steve Howe on guitar and they definitely were coming from a different spectrum with their playing.

You could argue that 90125 had a different keyboard player too as Rabin did much of the keyboard work, despite Kaye being listed as the keyboardist on that album. Of the latter albums in Yes's discography, I have always thought Magnification ( pretty good album) stood out from other albums as they used an orchestra primarily vs keyboards.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 20:26
How about in a 5 year period? Each starkly different one from another: 

Jethro Tull...
This Was (1968)
Stand Up (1969)
Aqualung (1971)
A Passion Play (1973)

Pink Floyd...
Atom Heart Mother (1970)
Meddle (1971)
The Dark Side of the Moon (1973)
Wish You Were Here (1975)

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>