Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'Partial' Live Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Your favourite part live/part studio album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [12.77%]
3 [6.38%]
8 [17.02%]
1 [2.13%]
2 [4.26%]
24 [51.06%]
3 [6.38%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2023 at 14:42
Family- Anyway Side one is 4 live tracks recorded at the Fairfield hall 1971 and side two is 4 studio tracks recorded at Olympic studios. Pretty much the definitive 'half and half' live/ studio lp of the early 70's 

Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2023 at 15:56
Does Meet the Flower Kings fit the citeria? The album was recorded mostly live in the studio, with multiple takes and a shіt ton of overdubs (for example Hans Fröberg's vocals were all done in the studio and he was only lipsynching on the set), and the audience was more like a sitcom audience rather than a concert crowd.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2023 at 01:28
^ Obviously your choice not mine but that was the album that made my fall out love with TFK. They have redeemed themselves with recent albums though at least in my eyes.
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2023 at 03:53
Very few bothered to read my OP about Zappa.  By extension, I have not included live albums plus overdubs - just albums with distinctive live AND studio parts or sides.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2023 at 05:13
Weather Report's I Sing The Body Electric is also 1/2 live (you'll find the exact tracks on the Band's double live Live In Tokyo 1972)

Good call for Family's Anyways too, BTW. Clap

Edited by Sean Trane - March 08 2023 at 05:14
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2023 at 20:53
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

Very few bothered to read my OP about Zappa.  By extension, I have not included live albums plus overdubs - just albums with distinctive live AND studio parts or sides.
Fair enough, but then some of his albums still count. Uncle Meat, Weasels..., Burnt Weeny..., Tinseltown... (on a technicality), Ship Arriving... all fit.
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2023 at 05:23
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

Fair enough, but then some of his albums still count. Uncle Meat, Weasels..., Burnt Weeny..., Tinseltown... (on a technicality), Ship Arriving... all fit.

Yes, but that would be a Zappa pollSmile
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2023 at 23:43
^I forgot this was a poll and not just a discussion haha. Carry on.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2023 at 08:07
I Forgot to actually cast a vote; i'll go for Steve Hillage as no-one has given it a vote. Better live Hillage material has surfaced and been released in more recent years but its pretty good stuff and the studio side material is very under-rated and has been revisited by Steve on his recent live outings.

Another lp which i think probably qualifies is 'Watch' by Manfred Manns Earth band.. Davy's on the road again and The Mighty Quinn are both un-doctored live recordings and would make up the best of one sideSmileThumbs Up

Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2023 at 09:42
Any thoughts about the Jethro Tull's Living in the Past? Granted, it's a compilation album, but the two LP's devoted one entire side of vinyl to an unreleased live performance...
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2023 at 10:18
Todd Rundgren's Utopia : The 14 minutes opening track is a live number
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2023 at 10:19
Ummaguma for its 4 live tracks, the second LP is just filing material

Edited by mellotronwave - March 11 2023 at 10:19
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2023 at 10:27
Allman Brothers Band : Eat a peach ( Mountain Jam is a live epic)
Marillion : A brief encounter ( Lady Nina as the studio track and half a dozen of live cuts)

Edited by mellotronwave - March 11 2023 at 10:27
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2023 at 19:29
Living in the Past.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2023 at 00:43
Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

Any thoughts about the Jethro Tull's Living in the Past? Granted, it's a compilation album, but the two LP's devoted one entire side of vinyl to an unreleased live performance...

Hey Jon, Wink

it's a bit of a deviation from the OP's demand, since it's not a "studio album" either.

I mean, we're 1/4 live (side 3), 1/4 singles (not available on 33 RPM), 1/4 released from existing albums (therefore a compilation) and 1/4 as-yet unreleased-at-all stuff  at the times (the future bonus tracks of Aqualung).

But I loved that release Hug>> I even bothered acquiring it as a Mini-Lp, while still having the old vinyl.WackoLOL

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
yes-no-and-why View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yes-no-and-why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2023 at 02:18
Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

None of the above...my vote belongs to the King Crimson album Starless and Bible Black (1974, and thus well within the 'classic timeframe')

I was going to say, I wonder why SABB isn't on there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123