Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Magnificent Excess: The Story of ELP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2023 at 16:15
I like the pachycephalosaurus. It just rolls off the tongue like a bitmap of beans.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2023 at 14:54

As I guess it's well-known by this point of time, 
true dinosaurs are not of big interest of mine. Big smile
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2023 at 12:32
I also saw them on the Black Moon tour and the concert was outstanding! The setlist was epic and they even played "Touch and Go"!(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'82bc4f7e0ed72ae5',t:'MTcwMDk0MDY3MS43NjkwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< height="1" width="1" style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: none; visibility: ;">
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2023 at 00:03
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

It was nice to see ELP on the Black Moon tour back in the 90's. It was my first chance to see them and I wasn't going to miss out. At the time I felt Black Moon was a 'killer' album and I happily devoured it. In the context of music around at then it was great to see a band with clarity of purpose and totally comfortable with themselves. There was no posturing or over indulgence in keyboard stacks and massive drum sets (Palmer had quite a small pare downed kit at this time). I loved it and it was pure enjoyment. That said I don't listen to any of their 90's stuff (live or studio) any more. It's just way too 'safe' compared to classic era ELP.
I was lucky enough to have seen them on that tour, as well, at the Ottawa Congress Centre in early January, 1993. For me, too, it was something I refused to miss out on. They had not played Ottawa since 1971 (I was only 9 then) The Congress Centre was a fairly intimate venue and atmosphere with all seating on one level, so I could see everything that nite quite nicely. Excellent and memorable show, it was.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2023 at 23:46
It was nice to see ELP on the Black Moon tour back in the 90's. It was my first chance to see them and I wasn't going to miss out. At the time I felt Black Moon was a 'killer' album and I happily devoured it. In the context of music around at then it was great to see a band with clarity of purpose and totally comfortable with themselves. There was no posturing or over indulgence in keyboard stacks and massive drum sets (Palmer had quite a small pare downed kit at this time). I loved it and it was pure enjoyment. That said I don't listen to any of their 90's stuff (live or studio) any more. It's just way too 'safe' compared to classic era ELP.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2023 at 20:43
Hi,

Interesting comment in the special that kinda makes sense, and I'm not sure how we really look at it ... the comment about creating music for the stage, as opposed to create it for your imagination. That's usually two completely different things, since not many of the things that we hear (specially today as an example  of the 2023 listings), are actually designed for the stage. They were, let's say, home studio designed and thought about ... the presentation of a lot of things takes a bit different dimension ... as is the case if you were reading a poem, and tomorrow you would say it differently, because it felt different.

I, for example, don't write for an audience, as I write strictly to what I see in my inner movie, and make sure I get all the details out of it as much as possible. I suppose that this can be not the "thing" for many folks that are used to things they know and are familiar with. In my "movie" I don't know what it is familiar or not, I am too tied up simply translating what is coming through ... 

For the time, the presentation side of it, was important, since classical music concerts were known to be ... quite boring, specially to a rock audience. But the value and quality of the work has to be present, or it falls on its face.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2023 at 11:16
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Welcome back my friends to the concert documentaries that never end: Pictures of three exhibitionists making a comeback in 1991. 

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2023 at 08:29
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Greg Lake: a picture of an exhibitionist doing what he does best at Stevenage Concert Hall, Hertfordshire back in 2005. Broken Heart

Strictly Come Dancing fans will note a certain David Arch playing keys. I went to the gig at Orpington on that tour and still have the programme.Smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2023 at 08:27
and it was Ritchie Blackmore that persuaded him out of retirement. Stargazer is still one of the best exhibitions of hard rock drumming I can think of, for me he had no peers in that dept.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 13:05

^ Admittedly, I'd never listened to any of Cozy Powell's albums up until today and I also discovered he's listed on Prog Archives too (under Jazz Rock/Fusion). Thumbs Up

He did the drums on my two favorite Jeff Beck group lps....Rough and Ready and 1972 JB GRoup 'Ice Cream Cakes' lp. Killer job...the band broke up or I assume there would have been more lps.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 12:35
Greg Lake: a picture of an exhibitionist doing what he does best at Stevenage Concert Hall, Hertfordshire back in 2005. Broken Heart

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 11:13
3 stars 1974: Emerson, Lake & Palmer - California Jam - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LvlDSW-XWwVXoVF_-v5U5Nj

ELP at the California Jam in 1974 with Greg Lake singing "Still You Turn Me On" - a song which features the immortal lines:- "Every day a little sadder, A little madder, Someone get me a ladder" - although it's still the best song on the Brain Salad Surgery album, but probably belongs on the Love Beach album, in all honesty.Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 26 2023 at 13:28
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2023 at 12:13
4 stars 1970: Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Live at the Lyceum Theatre - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LsLAtaXzZYNdphJ2K31sGlg

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2023 at 13:07
5 stars 1970: Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Emerson, Lake & Palmer - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LupA_HcmerhVcS72ZRm6z5f

I feel such a Lucky Man to have been there From the Beginning with ELP. Smile

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2023 at 01:13
^ there are 2 more albums by Robert Berry under the moniker of '3'. The second one had the last remaining Keith Emerson material as he was closely collaborating with Berry before his sad demise. Worth checking out.

Edited by richardh - March 08 2023 at 01:14
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2023 at 14:52
ROBERT BERRY     A Californian singer and guitarist whose brief stint with supergroup GTR turned out to be fruitful when Berry met with Keith Emerson and Carl Palmer and they formed the imaginatively-named supergroup "3" together, when Emerson, Berry & Palmer would've been the more logical (and less confusing) choice of band-name. Unfortunately, the "supergroup" turned out to be not so super when barely anyone was "Talkin' 'Bout" their one and only album "To the Power of Three" in the year of its release in 1988, when the album virtually sank without trace - until many years later when "3" reappeared on ProgArchives and YouTube with a new resurgence of interest - although not always positive, it has to be said. Smile

3 stars 1988: 3 (Emerson, Berry & Palmer) - To the Power of Three - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LvwwylCrJEuChC68BBpb9pt

3 stars 1985: Robert Berry - Back to Back - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvXlICzvcKo
 4 stars 1992: Robert Berry - Pilgrimage to a Point - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3yEsWoYBIk
 3 stars 1994: Robert Berry - In These Eyes
 3 stars 1995: Robert Berry - Takin' It Back - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV96p_FMXmk
 3 stars 1999: Robert Berry - A Soundtrack for the Wheel of Time - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kruuxgJat1Nmzuu0l5YRMYEA95XFDCEnU
 4 stars 2002: Robert Berry's December People - Sounds Like Christmas - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8BAiQ1UrbA
 3 stars 2008: Robert Berry - The Dividing Line

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 07 2023 at 15:08
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2023 at 07:48
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

^ Admittedly, I'd never listened to any of Cozy Powell's albums up until today and I also discovered he's listed on Prog Archives too (under Jazz Rock/Fusion). Thumbs Up

Better late than never, right? I like the first three best, but they're all good. Cozy was an exceptional talent who left us far too soon.
Yes, it was well-worth the wait too, especially for Cozy's OTT debut album. The title of Cozy Powell's third album - Octopuss - reminded me of Procol Harum's drummer B.J. Wilson, who was once described as being like an octopus in a bathtub, mainly because he usually sat on a very low drum stool with  arms flailing about all over the place, but always keeping perfect time. Smile

Coming up next..... the forgotten member of the various ELP line-ups: Robert Berry. 

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 07 2023 at 07:51
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2023 at 07:34
I guess its doesn't do any harm to repeat the much told anecdote that Cozy turned up to his first audition for ELP without his drumsticks, but still got the job anyway. I prefer listening to the Sprocket Sessions for my ELPowell fix rather than the studio album which felt way over the top production even for ELP. Shame they didn't do another album but as soon as Palmer completed his contractual obligations with Asia then it was back to the original line up.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2023 at 17:02

Better late than never, right? I like the first three best, but they're all good. Cozy was an exceptional talent who left us far too soon.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2023 at 11:41
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>