Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Magnificent Excess: The Story of ELP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2023 at 23:46
It was nice to see ELP on the Black Moon tour back in the 90's. It was my first chance to see them and I wasn't going to miss out. At the time I felt Black Moon was a 'killer' album and I happily devoured it. In the context of music around at then it was great to see a band with clarity of purpose and totally comfortable with themselves. There was no posturing or over indulgence in keyboard stacks and massive drum sets (Palmer had quite a small pare downed kit at this time). I loved it and it was pure enjoyment. That said I don't listen to any of their 90's stuff (live or studio) any more. It's just way too 'safe' compared to classic era ELP.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2023 at 00:03
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

It was nice to see ELP on the Black Moon tour back in the 90's. It was my first chance to see them and I wasn't going to miss out. At the time I felt Black Moon was a 'killer' album and I happily devoured it. In the context of music around at then it was great to see a band with clarity of purpose and totally comfortable with themselves. There was no posturing or over indulgence in keyboard stacks and massive drum sets (Palmer had quite a small pare downed kit at this time). I loved it and it was pure enjoyment. That said I don't listen to any of their 90's stuff (live or studio) any more. It's just way too 'safe' compared to classic era ELP.
I was lucky enough to have seen them on that tour, as well, at the Ottawa Congress Centre in early January, 1993. For me, too, it was something I refused to miss out on. They had not played Ottawa since 1971 (I was only 9 then) The Congress Centre was a fairly intimate venue and atmosphere with all seating on one level, so I could see everything that nite quite nicely. Excellent and memorable show, it was.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2023 at 12:32
I also saw them on the Black Moon tour and the concert was outstanding! The setlist was epic and they even played "Touch and Go"!(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'82bc4f7e0ed72ae5',t:'MTcwMDk0MDY3MS43NjkwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< height="1" width="1" style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: none; visibility: ;">
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2023 at 14:54

As I guess it's well-known by this point of time, 
true dinosaurs are not of big interest of mine. Big smile
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2023 at 16:15
I like the pachycephalosaurus. It just rolls off the tongue like a bitmap of beans.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2023 at 03:36
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Actually, I keep away from them because otherwise, it would diminish my enjoyment and appreciation of their classic work.

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2023 at 09:14

Actually, I keep away from them because otherwise, it would diminish my enjoyment and appreciation of their classic work.

Good idea. Too much magnificent excess can be bad for you. Tongue
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2023 at 09:34
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I like the pachycephalosaurus. It just rolls off the tongue like a bitmap of beans.

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2023 at 16:50

So there's something conservative in my tastes too, Paul. Tongue
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2023 at 08:29
Always liked the documentary.. I'll check out the 40th anniversary concert (and the thread).
 Thanks!
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2023 at 05:24
THE NICE     Cindy just reminded me again of ELP, which was Nice, and this is the original power trio who really take the biscuit! The Nice were the early progenitors of Emerson, Lake & Palmer, and could lay claim to being the first Symphonic Prog band, although Justin Hayward & John Lodge might have something to say about that.  The Nice trio consisted of dagger-wielding keyboardist Keith Emerson, bassist and singer Lee Jackson, and drummer and Phil Collins lookalike, Brian 'Blinky' Davison. Lee Jackson later went onto even greater Heights by forming his own band, Every Which Way (which may or may not have inspired a Clint Eastwood movie), as well as forming Jackson Heights, and then lastly, Refugee in 1974 with drummer and Phil Collins lookalike, Brian Davison and Swiss keyboard wiz, Patrick Moraz. All in all then, a busy time was had by all, but it's Nice work if you can get it. Smile

4 stars 1968: The Nice - The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNE78JD7rl4
 4 stars 1968: The Nice - Ars Longa Vita Brevis - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt99wLDaTVg
 3 stars 1971: The Nice - Elegy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OMJXasuBe0

4 stars 1970: Brian Davison's Every Which Way - Every Which Way - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9qFDNGdTdI

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 04 2023 at 05:26
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2023 at 10:43
^ 5 stars for Refugee Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2023 at 11:03

Someday, I may get around to listening to Refugee again, but in the meantime, here's a review I prepared earlier, in the tradition of Blue Peter.  Smile

Janet Ellis:- Here's one she made earlier - Sophie Ellis Bextor  Smile

REFUGEE were a short-lived Symphonic Prog threesome from London. You could be forgiven for thinking Phil Collins was a member of Refugee, because the man in the middle on their one and only self-titled album cover from 1974 bears a striking resemblance to the Genesis drummer. There's no mistaking Swiss keyboard player Patrick Moraz on the right of the album cover though. He was brought in as a last-minute replacement for Keith Emerson, who was otherwise engaged with the Prog- Rock supergroup Emerson, Lake & Palmer at the time. The other two members of Refugee besides Patrick Moraz were both ex-members of The Nice:- Lee Jackson on bass, electric cello, electric guitar, 12-string acoustic guitar and lead vocals, and Brian Davison on drums and percussion, where "percussion" meant virtually anything the versatile drummer could lay his hands on, including tympani, various gongs, Tibetan temple bells, African drums, kabassa (whatever that is!?) and broken glass! Patrick Moraz wasn't exactly slacking in the keyboards department either with this very impressive array of keyboard instruments at his disposal:- Mini- moog, AKS synthesiser, piano, electric piano, clavinet, organ, pipe organ, marimbaphone, alpine horn, electronic slinky, mellotron, and occasional vocals too! Patrick Moraz would of course go on to be a member of YES and a "days of future passed" member of The Moody Blues. Who could forget the famous music trial of the century!? The sole Refugee album was recorded in 1974 at ART Studios in Geneva in Patrick Moraz' native Switzerland, so he would have felt right at home there, whereas the two English members of the band, Lee Jackson and Brian Davison were temporary "refugees".

The title of the imperious 5-minute-long opening number "Papillon" can have several meanings:- Either a black butterfly; a symbolic breaking free of societal restraints and restrictions; or even a toy breed of dog with large butterfly-like ears! One thing's for sure though, the "Papillon" on this album is no delicate butterfly. No, this is an aggressive and impressive Pictures at an Exhibition-style display of powerful keyboard prog in the best tradition of Emerson, Lake & Palmer. There's no shortage of classically-inspired, lightning-speed keyboard runs to be heard from Patrick Moraz in this tremendous instrumental album opener, which also features a storming salvo of machine-gun-like drumming from Brian Davison. Yes, it looks like we could be in for quite a treat here with this gloriously pompous one-off album of unashamedly exhibitionistic Symphonic Prog. On the second song "Someday", We get to hear the emotionally-wrought (and some might say "over-blown") vocals of Lee Jackson for the first time, which also features another incredible keyboard performance from Patrick Moraz before he went on to join YES for their "Relayer" album in late 1974. "Someday" is one of those grand magisterial prog epics that gathers in pace and intensity as it progresses, so it could be described as the true definition of Progressive Rock. If "Papillon" represented a symbolic breaking-free, then "Someday" continues the theme of liberation with the powerful message contained within these lyrics:- "Someday, I'll go away, Pack my bag, Get on a plane, I'll fly up through my cloud, I'll smash right through, Right into the sun." ..... This is the kind of powerfully uplifting feel-good prog that'll leave you flying high on a wave of joyous and exhilarating emotion. If you haven't quite reached seventh prog heaven yet, then the third piece of music might help get you there, because next up is the awesome 17-minute-long, "Grand Canyon" suite, the first of two epic suites on the album. This magnificent five-part magnum opus is every bit as grandiose and spectacular as the song title implies. Be prepared to be stunned by this brilliant landscape of dazzling musical colours. The outstanding "Grand Canyon" suite represents the musical equivalent of the real Grand Canyon bathed in rich golden colours at sunset.

The title of the Side Two opener "Ritt Mickley" is a humorous reference to the strong Swiss accent of Patrick Moraz when he pronounces "rhythmically". It's another 6-minute-long demonstration of ELP-style keyboard prog at it's absolute best, so you can expect another dazzling display of keyboard histrionics from Mr Moraz & Co. The final piece of music on the album is the second of the two epic suites. It's a thunderous 18-minute-long masterpiece titled "Credo". The majestic music is divided into eight movements of stunning symphonic splendour and delight, which just HAS to be heard to be believed. This is incredible!

You can't fail to be over-awed by this stunning display of ELP-style keyboard prog. This outstanding one-off album has a treasured place in the hallowed halls of ProgArchives. Refugee might not be in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, but they truly deserve to be included with full honours and flags flying with this very impressive powerhouse debut!

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 04 2023 at 11:05
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2023 at 13:14

Thumbs Up
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2023 at 22:09
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Someday, I may get around to listening to Refugee again, but in the meantime, here's a review I prepared earlier, in the tradition of Blue Peter.  Smile

Janet Ellis:- Here's one she made earlier - Sophie Ellis Bextor  Smile

REFUGEE were a short-lived Symphonic Prog threesome from London. You could be forgiven for thinking Phil Collins was a member of Refugee, because the man in the middle on their one and only self-titled album cover from 1974 bears a striking resemblance to the Genesis drummer. There's no mistaking Swiss keyboard player Patrick Moraz on the right of the album cover though. He was brought in as a last-minute replacement for Keith Emerson, who was otherwise engaged with the Prog- Rock supergroup Emerson, Lake & Palmer at the time. The other two members of Refugee besides Patrick Moraz were both ex-members of The Nice:- Lee Jackson on bass, electric cello, electric guitar, 12-string acoustic guitar and lead vocals, and Brian Davison on drums and percussion, where "percussion" meant virtually anything the versatile drummer could lay his hands on, including tympani, various gongs, Tibetan temple bells, African drums, kabassa (whatever that is!?) and broken glass! Patrick Moraz wasn't exactly slacking in the keyboards department either with this very impressive array of keyboard instruments at his disposal:- Mini- moog, AKS synthesiser, piano, electric piano, clavinet, organ, pipe organ, marimbaphone, alpine horn, electronic slinky, mellotron, and occasional vocals too! Patrick Moraz would of course go on to be a member of YES and a "days of future passed" member of The Moody Blues. Who could forget the famous music trial of the century!? The sole Refugee album was recorded in 1974 at ART Studios in Geneva in Patrick Moraz' native Switzerland, so he would have felt right at home there, whereas the two English members of the band, Lee Jackson and Brian Davison were temporary "refugees".

The title of the imperious 5-minute-long opening number "Papillon" can have several meanings:- Either a black butterfly; a symbolic breaking free of societal restraints and restrictions; or even a toy breed of dog with large butterfly-like ears! One thing's for sure though, the "Papillon" on this album is no delicate butterfly. No, this is an aggressive and impressive Pictures at an Exhibition-style display of powerful keyboard prog in the best tradition of Emerson, Lake & Palmer. There's no shortage of classically-inspired, lightning-speed keyboard runs to be heard from Patrick Moraz in this tremendous instrumental album opener, which also features a storming salvo of machine-gun-like drumming from Brian Davison. Yes, it looks like we could be in for quite a treat here with this gloriously pompous one-off album of unashamedly exhibitionistic Symphonic Prog. On the second song "Someday", We get to hear the emotionally-wrought (and some might say "over-blown") vocals of Lee Jackson for the first time, which also features another incredible keyboard performance from Patrick Moraz before he went on to join YES for their "Relayer" album in late 1974. "Someday" is one of those grand magisterial prog epics that gathers in pace and intensity as it progresses, so it could be described as the true definition of Progressive Rock. If "Papillon" represented a symbolic breaking-free, then "Someday" continues the theme of liberation with the powerful message contained within these lyrics:- "Someday, I'll go away, Pack my bag, Get on a plane, I'll fly up through my cloud, I'll smash right through, Right into the sun." ..... This is the kind of powerfully uplifting feel-good prog that'll leave you flying high on a wave of joyous and exhilarating emotion. If you haven't quite reached seventh prog heaven yet, then the third piece of music might help get you there, because next up is the awesome 17-minute-long, "Grand Canyon" suite, the first of two epic suites on the album. This magnificent five-part magnum opus is every bit as grandiose and spectacular as the song title implies. Be prepared to be stunned by this brilliant landscape of dazzling musical colours. The outstanding "Grand Canyon" suite represents the musical equivalent of the real Grand Canyon bathed in rich golden colours at sunset.

The title of the Side Two opener "Ritt Mickley" is a humorous reference to the strong Swiss accent of Patrick Moraz when he pronounces "rhythmically". It's another 6-minute-long demonstration of ELP-style keyboard prog at it's absolute best, so you can expect another dazzling display of keyboard histrionics from Mr Moraz & Co. The final piece of music on the album is the second of the two epic suites. It's a thunderous 18-minute-long masterpiece titled "Credo". The majestic music is divided into eight movements of stunning symphonic splendour and delight, which just HAS to be heard to be believed. This is incredible!

You can't fail to be over-awed by this stunning display of ELP-style keyboard prog. This outstanding one-off album has a treasured place in the hallowed halls of ProgArchives. Refugee might not be in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, but they truly deserve to be included with full honours and flags flying with this very impressive powerhouse debut!

Nice! Wink
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2023 at 07:47
If Roger Dean had come up with a Grand Canyon-like dreamscape for the cover, I bet the Refugee album would've sold a heap more.....or at least would've been heard at the time instead of dug out of the dollar bins by Yesfans after Moraz's gig on Relayer.  The album deserved a better fate - it ain't groundbreaking but Moraz shines.....plus, I've always rooted for the Davjak portion of the Nice.  
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2023 at 15:28
IMO ELP made splendid (studio + live) albums up to BSS, and even the Ummagumma-esque Works vol.1 was just about palatable... but then the wheels fell off.
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2023 at 15:45
Originally posted by Floydoid Floydoid wrote:

IMO ELP made splendid (studio + live) albums up to BSS, and even the Ummagumma-esque Works vol.1 was just about palatable... but then the wheels fell off.

The wheels came off and got stuck in the sand when ELP became the Beach Gees.  Tongue

Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2023 at 15:57
^Possibly the worst album cover by any artist in the Prog Archives.

Edited by Floydoid - December 22 2023 at 23:55
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2023 at 16:17
By 'Discuss', what you meant was Disgusted...right? Big smile
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>