Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Prog Archives Starter Kit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2023 at 15:35

If it would be okay with a list of 30 albums, it'd be perfect and my suggestions would look like this - still with 
very much weight on the most appreciated albums/artists (on PA + RYM), stylistic diversity and some (more) 
modern including:

Genesis (UK) - Selling England by the Pound (1973)
Yes (UK) - The Yes Album (1971)
King Crimson (UK) - Red (1974)
Pink Floyd (UK) - The Dark Side of the Moon (1973)
Jethro Tull (UK) - Aqualung (1971)
Emerson, Lake & Palmer (UK) - eponymous  (1970)
Van der Graaf Generator (UK) - H to He Who Am... (1971)
Camel (UK) - The Snow Goose (1975)
Rush (CAN) - Moving Pictures (1981)
Porcupine Tree (UK) - Coma Divine (1997)
The Mars Volta (USA) - DeLoused in the Comatorium (2003)
Caravan (UK) - In the Land of Grey and Pink (1971)
Gentle Giant (UK) - Acquiring the Taste (1971)
        Frank Zappa (USA) - Hot Rats (1969)
        Robert Wyatt (UK) - Rock Bottom (1974)
Marillion (UK) - Script for a Jester's Tear (1983)
        Comus (UK) - First Utterance (1971)
        Opeth (S) - Black Water Park (2001)
Dream Theater (USA) - Images and Words (1992)
Banco del Mutuo Soccorso (I) - Io Sono Nato Libero (1973)
Can (D) - Ege Bamyasi (1972)
Mahavishnu Orchestra (USA) - Birds of Fire (1973)
        Tool (USA) - Lateralus (2001)
        NEU! (D) - NEU! (1972)
Tangerine Dream (D) - Stratosfear (1975)
        Mr. Bungle (USA) - California (1999) 
        Mike Oldfield (UK) - Ommadawn (1975)
        Anglargård (S) - Hybris (1992) 
Magma (F) - Üdü Wüdü (1976)
Univers Zero (B) - Clivages (2010)

Edited by David_D - March 18 2023 at 18:20
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2023 at 15:47
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

I'd like to say to you, Mosh, and not for the first time, that even I don't always find you very constructive, I think there's some 
good reason and very good intentions in many of your opinions.  Smile

I'm all about logic and investigative research not opinion. Just stating my conclusions :)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2023 at 16:53

Wink
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2023 at 19:08
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Yes we know as you posted the exact same list a little further up on this page:)

I'd like also to tell you, Saperlipopette!, that I misunderstood your intention with this post, as I didn't notice the smile. 
Sorry about that

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2023 at 02:00
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I'd like to say to you, Mosh, and not for the first time, that even I don't always find you very constructive, I think there's some 

I'm all about logic and investigative research not opinion. Just stating my conclusions :)
I suppose opinions are somewhat overrated. Especially everyone elses. But how do you approach an art form such as music, using only "logic and investigative research"? What does that even mean? Is it all intellectual to you, or can some music hit you in the gut, crush your soul, take you on a trip, trancend you through time and space, make you cry etc... - without you being able to explain (excatly) why? To me, those sort of non-intellectual, non-verbal ingredients are the main reason some slices of music are always within reach and closer to my heart - than others. Seemingly comparable albums lacking in those "magic ingredients" tends to stay in my shelf (or more often they never entered my home in the first place). Some elements can obviously be explained. At least I've come to know some of my soft spots, and what rubs me the wrong way. But that's hardly objective facts, and not like an equation.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2023 at 03:21

he is a type of personality (and it's nothing to do with intellect) that sees the world a certain way and has to explain that we are wrong for not seeing it that way. It's not only pointless it's annoying and arrogant. Quite honestly you simply could not get away with behaving like this in a normal social situation, so why on a discussion forum? Ultimately it is trolling because he been told numerous times by numerous people what he is doing but keeps doing it nevertheless.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2023 at 08:05

Just for the record, the albums on my lists here are not necessarily all my own fave ones. Big smile
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2023 at 08:53
Same here
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2023 at 09:28
They should watch this video for a "starter kit." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWgGWXG3kdc&t=6s

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 19 2023 at 09:31
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2023 at 11:03
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

he is a type of personality (and it's nothing to do with intellect) that sees the world a certain way and has to explain that we are wrong for not seeing it that way. It's not only pointless it's annoying and arrogant. Quite honestly you simply could not get away with behaving like this in a normal social situation, so why on a discussion forum? Ultimately it is trolling because he been told numerous times by numerous people what he is doing but keeps doing it nevertheless.

I'm afraid, you're right, and you have much more experience with it than I.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2023 at 11:47
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

<span style="white-space:pre">     </span>I'd
like to say to you, Mosh, and not for the first time, that even I don't
always find you very constructive, I think there's some 
<span style="white-space:pre">     </span>good reason and very good intentions in many of your opinions.  Smile

I
suppose opinions are somewhat overrated. Especially everyone elses. But
how do you approach an art form such as music, using only "logic and
investigative research"? What does that even mean? Is it all
intellectual to you, or can some music hit you in the gut, crush your
soul, take you on a trip, trancend you through time and space, make you
cry etc... - without you being able to explain (excatly) why? To me,
those sort of non-intellectual, non-verbal ingredients are the main
reason some slices of music are always within reach and closer to my
heart - than others. Seemingly comparable albums lacking in those "magic
ingredients" tends to stay in my shelf (or more often they never entered
my home in the first place). Some elements can obviously be explained. At least I've come to know some of my soft spots, and what rubs me the
wrong way. But that's hardly objective facts, and not like an equation.

Wow. Some of you are very bad with your comprehension skills.

I have to assume English might not be your native language or you just simply missed the point.

I was referring to the differences between the top albums charts between PA and RYM

Investigative research has yielded many prog gems completely absent from PA

Do you understand now?

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2023 at 12:32
-Yes, understand now hat you explained everything that wasn't in the post I responded to, Silly Puppy. English is not my native language, but really,  from this single sentence of yours, even a native speaker of english would miss the point:

"I'm all about logic and investigative research not opinion. Just stating my conclusions :) "

There was nothing about RYM, chart or or anything like that there, it was just your short reply to David_D comment regarding Moshkito's good intentions. How was I supposed to know?

Edited by Saperlipopette! - March 19 2023 at 12:33
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2023 at 12:54

I was certainly also convinced that this post of yours was concerning Mosh, SP. LOL

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2023 at 13:10
^ no worries. We seem to have context deficits these days in the world of the internet

Sometimes you have to read a stream of responses to get the gist

I’m always surprised how something so innocently posted can be misconstrued 😱

Basically back to the theme

Do check out top prog album lists wherever you can because they make great starter lists

Or do what I have done

Simply dive into the sea of prog and randomly explore like Jacques Cousteau!

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2023 at 14:33

^ no worries. We seem to have context deficits these days in the world of the internet

Do check out top prog album lists wherever you can because they make great starter lists

Or do what I have done

Maybe in such a case it is nicer to wonder first whether you may have communicated something in an unclear manner (or to not assign blame to anyone) rather than branding others as lacking in comprehension skills, which is rather rude.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2023 at 17:27
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Or do what I have done

Maybe in such a case it is nicer to wonder first whether you may have communicated something in an unclear manner (or to not assign blame to anyone) rather than branding others as lacking in comprehension skills, which is rather rude.

OK, going back to my original post that was commented upon. What exactly do YOU find miscommunicated in this statement?

"More accurately RYM is a larger and better maintained site that covers all music across the board. Because of its popularity means it has attracted many more users than PA, MMA or JMA. Many people who like prog bands or albums don't necessarily consider themselves prog fans. Only once you get past the popular crossover artists can you truly say you are a prog aficionado. At least that's my take on it :)"

I think it's extremely clear what i was trying to convey. There is no ambiguity and i cannot possibly fathom any way or manner that anybody could take this in any way other than intended. Please tell me where the miscommunication lies. Following this logic for those who follow the thread, it's quite easy to detect the train of thought. Please correct me if i am mistaken.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2023 at 17:35
What about just being nicer to each other rather than looking for who was wrong?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2023 at 17:42
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

What about just being nicer to each other rather than looking for who was wrong?

Agreed. But if i'm gonna be accused of miscommunicating then i'm going to inquire as to what you're talking about, won't i?

So you can find no miscommunication then?

If so then i have every right to comment on something to someone who is accusing me of saying things that i did not.

If miscommunication occurred it was not on my part and calling out someone's misinterpretation is not being rude but practicing self-defense.

If they miscomprehended then yes, indeed, they do exhibit a severe lack of comprehension skills.

That is not being rude but on the contrary being observant.

Wouldn't you agree?

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2023 at 18:06

All I can say is, when people quote a post in their reply,  I reckon they respond concerning this post, and you quoted my post to Mosh.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2023 at 18:46

All I can say is, when people quote a post in their reply,  I reckon they respond concerning this post, and you quoted my post to Mosh.

I guess we can't just get on with the theme of the thread, can we?

OK, let's examine your post.

"I'd like to say to you, Mosh, and not for the first time, that even I don't always find you very constructive, I think there's some good reason and very good intentions in many of your opinions."

First of all, my name isn't Mosh. That could be interpreted as an insult right off the bat.

After stating my conclusions of having investigated the differences between charts regarding PA and RYM, i presented to you and the prog world at large: my discoveries of how RYM has yielded a bountiful gift of prog gems that have thus far eluded PA users. You stated that you don't find my comment constructive. That could be considered a form of provocation.

The last part "I think there's some good reason and very good intentions in many of your opinions" makes no sense at all. In fact the entire thing makes no sense THEREFORE i defaulted to the prior post to get the point back on the focus of the comment.

It seems that it was YOU who miscommunicated by presenting grammatically flimsy diatribe that carries no logical comprehensive meaning in the English language.

So in essence, you conveyed no reason as to why you may have found my post less than constructive and you failed to realize that my post was an ANALYSIS and NOT an opinion.

And then the next person goes on a rant about things totally unrelated based on your post that carries no true definitive interpretation.

So what appears to be the case is that i've made comments in the past that have resurfaced in an emotional reaction in the Mosh post. It is the case that the comment in question was rather ambiguous and carries no linguistical merit no matter how we reconstruct it. Therefore no true linguistical meaning signifies a void in comprehension. In a more common vernacular, WTF?

So that a forum can carry on with grace and humbleness, we must be a bit more articulate in how we convey our thought processes regarding our reactions otherwise these things can become runaway trains.

You have no idea how many things on this forum i find unconstructive and yet i just keep on scrollin'!

If we need to dig deeper into this i'd be happy to continue this rather stimulating discussion since linguistical analysis is one of my favorite pastimes!

However by doing so, debating these minutia of course, will surely result in pissing away precious time that we could instead be listening to some of those bountiful gems of prog that have revelaed themselves on RYM and still not on PA.

Therefore i invite you to move on and REJOICE!!!! For the prog gods beckon you to hear their incandescent calls :)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>