Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Al Pacino Movies: 1990-1999

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which is your favourite movie?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
1 [6.25%]
1 [6.25%]
2 [12.50%]
2 [12.50%]
2 [12.50%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [25.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [18.75%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [6.25%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Al Pacino Movies: 1990-1999
    Posted: March 18 2023 at 13:54

1990: Dick Tracy
 3 stars 1990: The Godfather Part III
                  1991: Frankie and Johnny
 3 stars 1992: Glengarry Glen Ross - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiV2J463unM
 4 stars 1992: Scent of a Woman
 4 stars 1993: Carlito's Way
                  1995: Two Bits
 4 stars 1997: Donnie Brasco
 3 stars 1997: The Devil's Advocate
 4 stars 1999: The Insider - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdUI_0mIkec         
 2 stars 1999: Any Given Sunday        

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - May 31 2023 at 16:06
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2023 at 04:51
Best Al Pacino moments from Heat (1995)

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2023 at 07:19
Hi,

This is a better era for me to see Al do his thing.

I like GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS and right after it SCENT OF A WOMAN. Although GGR is too much on the stage, as it is a play, in the end, I think I would have opened it up a bit more so we don't get claustrophobic watching many of these guys rip their chops. They were all, good, but in the end, you come out feeling like ... that was exhausting!

SOAW is more interesting, and in my mind a better challenge for Al, and I think he did it well. Too many of the other films are him grandstanding, and looking like previous stuff, and looking like he was acting. But doing a blind person, he can't cheat! And did it well!

My thoughts are that Al is better suited for the stage than he is for the cinema, unless he has a very good director making things work. The G3 film was almost a waste for me. It has fine performances, but I think they were milking the story as much as they could for the studio.

Al, for me, is like Dustin Hoffman ... good one film, and you don't care about him in the next film. I never looked at it as good or bad, and there are many reasons why such a thing could happen, when a director is not as well focused.

Sadly, this was the time of the "star" and the end of the "director" in film, specially American film ... the studio machinery didn't care about directors and just went for the money in my book ... and a lot of film stuff, with great actors, ends up getting hurt ... and I think that some of Al's material fits in this area.

A very good American actor, and I would have liked to see him stretch his abilities in Europe with some other folks ... but I'm not sure that his "method' (just like D. Hoffman) is a good match for the free'r form (less studio money also) of film done in Europe, which allows for directors to move a lot better.

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2023 at 15:23
A lot of great performances... I vote for Carlitos Way
"Happiness is real only when shared"
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2023 at 16:57
For me, it's a three way tie. 
The Godfather Part III
The Devil's Advocate
Any Given Sunday.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2023 at 17:09
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

For me, it's a three way tie. 
The Godfather Part III
The Devil's Advocate
Any Given Sunday.
I bought all three of those movies recently on DVD. Thumbs Up

Moonshake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moonshake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 09:55
The Godfather Part III
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 13:10
GGR... a masterpiece and superb ensemble cast

Edited by Jared - May 18 2023 at 13:11
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 13:52
There are some great films on this. I plumped for Scent of a Woman, which I absolutely love. An honorable mention for the paeon to unrestrained capitalism, Gelngarry Glen Ross.

As regards Godfather III, a flawed masterpiece born of financial as opposed to artistic need.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Argentinfonico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 13:58
Heat. Masterpiece.
-Will I see you tonight?
-I never make plans that far ahead.

Casablanca (1942)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 14:09
The underrated Glengarry Glen Ross over Donnie Brasco. :)

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 15:16
Heat (again), but I also like Carlito's Way a lot. And Scent of a Woman. And Glengarry Glen Ross (but that's an ensemble film, he doesn't really carry it).
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 15:21
The Devil's Advocate
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2023 at 17:24
Carlito's Way but there are some truly great films in that list for sure. What a decade for Pacino!
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2023 at 00:36
Heat, just as in the De Niro poll. 
 Post Reply Post Reply