Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New "genre" category idea: "Melodic/Folk Metal"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New "genre" category idea: "Melodic/Folk Metal"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New "genre" category idea: "Melodic/Folk Metal"
    Posted: March 20 2023 at 10:54
(edited) I think a new "genre" category on this site would be very beneficial for grouping, and can help with nuance regarding new, borderline/contentious band submissions. A bit wordy and long, but I think it works: "Power/Symphonic and Folk Metal" "Melodic/Folk Metal. This category would be exactly for that for power, symphonic, and the less "extreme" melodic death metal bands (Blind Guardian, Nightwish/Epica, and Ignea, respectively), or really anything else that can be considered "melodic," but not quite "progressive metal," yet still prog enough for the progarchives; it would also be for the folk and oriental metal artists (Lör and Orphaned Land/also Ignea).

It would be reserved for bands like Nightwish, Epica, Blind Guardian, Ignea, Orphaned Land, and Lör. With the exception of Orphaned Land, these are listed under progressive metal, while I wouldn't really call any of them "true" progressive metal, but they do go beyond the boundaries of traditional power metal. Orphaned Land is a difficult one, because they've played so many styles, including but not limited to what I would consider to be "true" progressive metal on The Never Ending Way of ORwarriOR. Their first two albums could be called post/experimental, I suppose, as they're classified now, and some may even call it tech/extreme; but I'd hardly call "All is One" as either classification. On the other hand the rest of their discography is closer imo to progressive metal than the other two classifications. The linking element between All is One, their first two albums, and indeed their entire backlog is the ethnic "oriental" elements, that could just be simplified as "folk metal," even if it's not entirely accurate. Mabool and All is One are also technically power metal albums. Ignea plays a blend of the oriental metal that Orphaned Land pioneered, symphonic metal, and melodic death metal. So while they aren't power metal, They do fit in with both Epica, as a symphonic metal band, and Orphaned Land, as an oriental (eg, folk) metal band. Lör fuses power metal with folk metal, and their complex compositions does indeed qualify them imo as progressive metal, but I still think this is a better category for them. Blind Guardian is power metal, but sometimes branches into symphonic metal territory, while Nightwish was power and symphonic metal, but now lean more towards the symphonic side - they've recently breached into folk metal territory, too, with their heavy Celtic influence - while Epica is simply power and symphonic metal with a progressive edge. Note that "power metal" is often referred to as "melodic metal," as is "symphonic metal," as well.

Of course there would be more bands here, these are just good starting examples. Other potential additions are Ex Libris, Nevermore (if their ever added to the site), Amorphis (if they're ever added, too), and Myrath. Aside from Myrath, all of them are debatable (especially Amorphis). Edited: As I just suggested in the "suggest an artist" thread, Aeternam and MaYaN would be great examples of artists who would be included here as well.

Bands that I personally would NOT include in this category are:
Wilderun - despite their earlier albums being more folk metal, I believe progressive metal is the right place for them
Symphony X - a fusion of prog and power metal, but I think the prog outweighs the power
Scardust - a fusion of symphonic and prog metal, but again the prog outweighs the symphonic
etc.
Edited:
Fleshgod Apocalypse is indeed more of an extreme than a melodic metal band, and should not be here

Edit: As pointed out in my below comment, another name for this could be "melodic/folk metal." This actually would make more sense for Ignea, since they aren't really either symphonic nor folk metal, and they even call themselves "melodic metal."

Edited by bardberic - March 20 2023 at 14:19
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2023 at 11:03
I'm also about to submit MaYaN as a suggestion. I'm unsure if they should fall under tech/extreme or power/symphonic/folk, but they're certainly not progressive or experimental/post metal
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2023 at 13:15
I'd put MaYaN under power/symphonic and folk metal instead of tech/extreme because I do feel more similarities to Epica and Nightwish than to Opeth and Sigh

Edit:

Another name for this genre suggestion could be "melodic/folk metal," to shorten the name, since power and symphonic metal are often referred to as "melodic metal," and pretty much every artist that falls under this category would be melodic.

Edited by bardberic - March 20 2023 at 13:17
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2023 at 14:07
One more thing, I did elaborate a bit here on why this is a useful inclusion on the site.

I do prefer the name "melodic/folk metal" over "power/symphonic and folk metal," the more I think about it, so I will change the title per this preference.
 Post Reply Post Reply