Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aeternam for Tech/Extreme Metal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aeternam for Tech/Extreme Metal
    Posted: March 27 2023 at 02:20
literally as I'm signing in to check on this, you approve it lol Good timing.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2023 at 02:15
added
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2023 at 14:17
ok, noted
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2023 at 14:02
Please note before I write the biography here that I don't think the progarchives has a genre categorization that can accurately describe Aeternam or MaYaN, and incidentally the "power/symphonic and folk metal" or for a shorter name, the "melodic/folk metal" category I suggested in the "improve the website" forum I submitted would be the perfect fit for these bands, and similar bands like them (not so much so for Fleshgod Apocalypse, since they're more extreme than they are melodic, imo - I'm actually beginning to like the name "melodic" better over "power/symphonic," since it is more inclusive allowing for the melodic death metal bands like Ignea, MaYaN, and Aeternam to be included as well, yet also describes the power/symphonic bands). I could also draw a lot of comparisons with Aeternam to Ignea, as well. But they are indeed progressive enough, imo, to warrant their inclusion on this site. I wouldn't really call either Aeternam nor MaYaN "extreme," per se, and they certainly aren't "technical," either, but due to their abrasiveness, they go beyond what is normally included in progressive metal, making tech/extreme the best fit, if not entirely precise, although upon writing their bio I do Aeternam considers themselves to be extreme so I guess idk LOL still not a term I'd personally use, though. I think they belong in the same category as MaYaN, but I wouldn't exactly call MaYaN "experimental," either as the structure of their music pretty standard, and I would say the same thing applies to Aeternam for the same reasons; however, Aeternam draws probably more comparisons to Orphaned Land than any other artist, and Orphaned Land is in Experimental/Post-Metal - having Aeternam and Orphaned Land in the same category would also probably be best, as well, and frankly, Orphaned Land and MaYaN, due to the lush and layered sound, with pseudo-progressive structures over a melodic, yet abrasive foundation, could be in the same grouping as well. So while I do understand why Orphaned Land is under Experimental/Post-Metal (even being named in the description as a perfect example of one), I do believe it creates some inconsistencies here. The reason I wanted to make the category suggestion is actually to separate Nightwish from progressive metal because they can't be considered "progressive metal" by any stretch of the imagination lol although, I can maybe see why a potential inclusion on the progarchives may kind of be warranted, I suppose. The addition of Orphaned Land, MaYan, Aeternam, Lör, etc. into that same category would just be a positive benefit of this addition.

There is not a lot of information I could find about Aeternam, so it's a relatively short description.

Aeternam is a melodic/symphonic death metal band from Quebec, Canada. Founded in 2007. they combine Arabic, Turkish, and generally middle eastern rhythms and melodies with western symphonic structures, formatted into a melodic death metal package. They have been compared to other bands such as Orphaned Land, for their oriental elements, and Septicflesh, for their symphonic elements. They describe their sound as "unique, authentic, extreme, and ethnic," believing to have created a "perfect blend of harmony and brutality." They received critical acclaim for their 2022 album "Heir of the Rising Sun."

Edited by bardberic - March 20 2023 at 14:21
 Post Reply Post Reply