Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Get The Word Out
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PA Genre Charts at Progfreak.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr ProgFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2023 at 03:36
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Having just added a band I have an issue with this, we get bands suggested by people for inclusion that are then added to PF and then assessed to see if we are going to add them to PA. Requiring an album to assessed for progginess before they can be evaluated by the team is the wrong way round. No team members have made an assessment at that stage. If you want a progginess assessment for bands then it should be a requirement for add the rating before bands can be 'Cleared' or 'Added'.

Make sense?

Yes, I will change it accordingly, makes sense. My goal here is simply that as you, the team members, are using the charts, the PF database also gets filled with a little more info than just the bare artist names. I don't want to impose any rules on how you are actually using the charts which interfere with how you are evaluating the artists. Smile
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2023 at 07:18

No we don't want a 2 album minimum applied. Moshkito does not represent PA and is not on any genre teams. I dread to think how many one and done great bands wouldn't be on PA if we applied that rule. Please ignore any suggestions made, we will review internally prior to suggesting to PF.

Thanks

Hi,

Not fair. I made the comment that today we're finding a lot of bands that just did one album, and appreciating them, which caused a doubt in my mind, although myself, and Guy Guden, we went out and found the music and did not worry about their being one or two in their catalog, but some things were easier to follow ... for example, when SEVENTH WAVE was released, it ended up getting SECOND HAND an immediate listen, and it was added to the current listing of the show.

I, honestly, don't want to represent anyone, simply because of the attitude that you are showing ... which, while I accept it, is really somewhat disrespectful, because in essence you are denying my own points and views regardless.

PA has its great side ... but it also has its bad side, by "Admins" that continually disrespect their friends, and folks that post, right or wrong ... even if at 72, I accidentally mention Idi Amin in the wrong section!

But in essence, and the worst part, is that you are "denying" someone that has been "there" right from the start, simply because I can not agree in full to all the PA this and that which you have personally. Which makes your post personal, and not appreciative of all the listenership and talent out there in the posts.

Sorry PF ... the post was honest, and seeing/hearing the thoughts behind the single album idea is great for me, and did not require a left foot to the balls!Embarrassed
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2023 at 07:32
Moshkito - this thread is about how Progfreak is used by the Progarchives genre teams to assess bands for inclusion in PA. It is therefore logical that the opinions we want to solicit on that subject are from those people on the genre teams who are actually doing the work as volunteers. I mean no disrespect. I purely want to make sure that this is a focused discussion. I also don't want any changes made to the way we use PF without it being aligned internally rather than reacting to every suggestion made.

If you feel disrespected that is on you. This discussion is not about you or anyone else not on the genre teams.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - April 17 2023 at 07:33
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr ProgFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2023 at 15:34
Well, after some consideration I have reconsidered. My main motivation here is that pa collabs enter some releases and assign basic tags to artists during the evaluation, to improve the PF timeline. But I don't really want to force anyone to do anything, that wasn't such a good idea.

So I've just removed the requirement and instead there's now an info text that reminds team members that there's no release with minimal tags. They can then decide whether they want to take the time to add them or not, and I will not judge them either way.

Sorry for the trouble! Prog on Cool
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2023 at 16:16
Thanks
Ian

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr ProgFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2023 at 07:16
One small thing: I noticed that some collabs are adding releases with bandcamp links as titles. Could we please find another solution? For all releases that you add, I'm adding all the necessary links in a timely fashion. I have an efficient way of doing that, and for that to work all you need to do is to add releases with the correct title. Smile
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2023 at 07:22
Can you post a couple of examples so I can check it out?
Ian

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2023 at 07:30

I think i did that. I realize now it's the wrong way. I won't do it anymore.

Someone explain to us how to add links on the new PF. Embarrassed
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2023 at 07:46
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Just put in the base text information & Mike will handle the links in PF. I suggest that the links are put in the genre team thread on PA so that the team members can access from there if they want to get them before Mike puts them up on PF.

Something like this :-

New band Ultraphauna

ULTRAPHAUNA is an intercontinental band of art-rock veterans playing the music of Timba Harris (violin, trumpet) and Dorothy Wave (vocals, synths). Toby Driver (bass) and Joel Murray (drums) are featured on their debut album No No No No. The band’s rich pedigree includes Estradasphere, Secret Chiefs 3, a.P.A.t.T., Kayo Dot, Extra Life, Gyan Riley, Grails, Tzadik Composer Series, and many more

Debut release out today (4/17)

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - April 18 2023 at 07:50
Ian

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr ProgFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2023 at 07:48
My idea for the new Progfreak is that I'm adding all the links. I have built some scripts to help, so it doesn't take me long to do it. The only disadvantage is that you need to wait a little while for the links to appear. The advantage for me is that I keep track of the releases that get added, and I can make sure that there's also cover art, release dates and tracklists (if possible).

Edited by Mr ProgFreak - April 18 2023 at 07:49
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2023 at 07:53

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Just put in the base text information & Mike will handle the links in PF. I suggest that the links are put in the genre team thread on PA so that the team members can access from there if they want to get them before Mike puts them up on PF.

Something like this :-

New band Ultraphauna

ULTRAPHAUNA is an intercontinental band of art-rock veterans playing the music of Timba Harris (violin, trumpet) and Dorothy Wave (vocals, synths). Toby Driver (bass) and Joel Murray (drums) are featured on their debut album No No No No. The band’s rich pedigree includes Estradasphere, Secret Chiefs 3, a.P.A.t.T., Kayo Dot, Extra Life, Gyan Riley, Grails, Tzadik Composer Series, and many more

Debut release out today (4/17)

ok, I'll try that. 

I also put the suggestion threads and listening links in the team threads. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr ProgFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2023 at 23:48
The artist Gordy added yesterday is a good example of why artist entries by themselves are problematic - "Locomotive" from the UK. It's difficult to find releases via Google. In that case it would be extremely helpful if someone who already knows some of the releases would just add them to the database. It's always much easier to find info on the combination of release name and artist name.

Another option for me (which I am pursuing) is simply adding all the releases which are being added to PA, in a semi-automatic way. That would also open up an interesting option for the genre charts: If all PA artists are in the PF database (e.g. for all the PF artists we know whether they are on PA or not), I could provide input to the genre charts: A list of all the artists tagged as progressive which are not already on PA.

Working on it Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr ProgFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2023 at 23:52
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2023 at 04:42
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

https://www.discogs.com/search/?q=locomotive&type=artist&strict=true Stern SmileWink

It's this one

Would seem reasonable that a minimum of one album is added when the entry is added as we need one album to review.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - April 19 2023 at 04:44
Ian

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr ProgFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2023 at 06:00
There it is, found it on Musicbrainz and Amazon as well: https://progfreak.com/releases/55500
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr ProgFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2023 at 14:44
Hey, how are you doing? I've been busy re-activating the auto-tagger, and now more than 80% of all the pa artists are connected to the corresponding artist entries at pf. That means that I'll soon be able to list candidates for the pa charts, based on the progressiveness assigned by pf users (and the RYM auto-tagger), automatically filtering out artists that are already on PA. Hopefully you'll find it useful Smile

An unrelated question: In the Prog Folk/Rock genre, would you say that most of the bands are mostly Rock with Folk influence, or the other way around? I'm wondering how to tag them, either as "Progressive Folk" or as "Progressive Folk Rock". 

Edited by Mr ProgFreak - May 02 2023 at 14:45
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2023 at 20:03

Hey, how are you doing? I've been busy re-activating the auto-tagger, and now more than 80% of all the pa artists are connected to the corresponding artist entries at pf. That means that I'll soon be able to list candidates for the pa charts, based on the progressiveness assigned by pf users (and the RYM auto-tagger), automatically filtering out artists that are already on PA. Hopefully you'll find it useful Smile

An unrelated question: In the Prog Folk/Rock genre, would you say that most of the bands are mostly Rock with Folk influence, or the other way around? I'm wondering how to tag them, either as "Progressive Folk" or as "Progressive Folk Rock". 

Unfortunately, I honestly think there can be a case made for both! Some bands definitely come from the folk traditions (The Pentangle, Steeleye Span, Malicorne), some want to give their folk music a rock edge (Spirogyra, John Martyn) or their rock music a folk edge (Jethro Tull). 
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr ProgFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2023 at 01:08
^ That's why I created PF, so that releases can be "Progressive Folk", "Progressive Folk Rock", or even "Progressive Rock/Folk". Or "Heavy Progressive Folk" etc.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr ProgFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 02:54
Please don't use the release comments to post bandcamp links - that is a LOT of work for me to clean up. If you need the bandcamp link for the artist urgently, please post it here and I will add it for you.

BTW: I'm working on enabling everyone (or at least collabs and pa genre chart members) to add external links. I realize that you are used to doing it yourself, please bear with me. :-) 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 03:23

One small thing: I noticed that some collabs are adding releases with bandcamp links as titles. Could we please find another solution? For all releases that you add, I'm adding all the necessary links in a timely fashion. I have an efficient way of doing that, and for that to work all you need to do is to add releases with the correct title. Smile

I still don't know how to add links to the bands. Embarrassed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>