Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd worst to first album ranking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2023 at 00:44
My ratings (in Gnosis terms):

Wish You Were Here - 15
Ummagumma - 13
Meddle - 13
Dark Side of the Moon - 13
Atom Heart Mother - 12
Animals - 12
A Saucerful of Secrets - 11
The Division Bell - 11
Obscured by Clouds - 10
The Final Cut - 10
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn - 9
More - 9
The Wall - 9
A Momentary Lapse of Reason - 9
The Endless River - 8

Greenmist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2023 at 02:12
Why do a fair amont of people here think Ummagumma is a top album?, i am honestly baffed by that one.  Most of the songs on this album just sound like ambient movie scene music.   Usually when i wanna listen to music i dont stick on a movie soundtrack if the soundtrack is pretty much just all ambient atmospherics from individual scenes, this is why i know i wont return to Ummagumma much.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2023 at 03:11
Originally posted by Greenmist Greenmist wrote:

Why do a fair amont of people here think Ummagumma is a top album?, i am honestly baffed by that one.  Most of the songs on this album just sound like ambient movie scene music.   Usually when i wanna listen to music i dont stick on a movie soundtrack if the soundtrack is pretty much just all ambient atmospherics from individual scenes, this is why i know i wont return to Ummagumma much.
It doesn't sound like you're describing Ummagumma to me. I think you're rushing into conclusions anyway. What's the hurry? I only gave 9 out of 15 - which equals three stars, so not a top album for me. Big fan of the krauty space rocker The Narrow Way - a fantastic track. Everyone loves the stunning Grantchester Meadows, don't we? Several Species etc.. does not have much replay value. I'll leave it at that:) Most of the two live sides are quite wonderful, I think (but admittedly I never really listen to them). While patchy, Sysyphus I-IV does have it's fair share of beauty. The Grand Vizier’s Garden Party I-III however - mostly feel like a failed experiment.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - April 20 2023 at 03:14
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2023 at 03:23
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I don't really have a Gnosis ratings out of 15, but stole "the concept" from  Nogbad_The_Bad

Gnosis rating guide

*about 60-70 of them being compilations of various artists, and none of the thousands of albums I've never bothered finishing=haven't rated would have gotten more than a two star. Besides it's easier to get five stars than 15/15

I've not used a Gnosis 15 so far and have only used the Gnosis 14 only 13 times, which gives me 0% and 0.08% respectively, out of +/- 8000 ratings.

But yes, getting a 5Star is much easier than a Gnosis 15. 
FTM, a PA5Star is equivalent to a G15+G14+G13 
and a PA4Star is equivalent to a G12+G11+G10

First, the UG Live album is excellent, especially Eugene and gives a new life to Astronomy Domine. For years, it was the only live testimony of that was available of that era ... until the Live In Pompeii VHS was available in the mid-80's. 

As for the UG studio album, David's Narrow Way, Roger's Meadows and Richard's Sysyphus are relatively good (in some ways, it prefigures the flipside tracks of AHM). 
And Nick's bruitages & tinkering and Roger's Furry Animals will show how they will become sooooo good at all these studio twists from DSOTM onwards.

I guess you'd hate The Man & The Journey suite (recorded at Amsterdam's Concergebouw in 69) they never published. It was near Musique Concrète. 

Edited by Sean Trane - April 20 2023 at 03:59
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2023 at 03:36

I've not used a Gnosis 15 so far and have only used the Gnosis 14 only 13 times, which gives me 0% and 1018% respectively, out of +/- 8000 ratings

I think you should treat yourself Hugues, and move your favourite 25 albums up a notch... Wink
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2023 at 03:38

I can't speak for others and I haven't even posted a ranking, however in my view the live album is the absolutely best thing they released; you need to "get" psychedelic experimentation, get into the flow, reach imaginary landscapes that are only open to us through music (some have chemical alternatives but I'm not one of them Wink). Pink Floyd in the old days became a legend as a live band and would use their material freely, providing a different trip every time. They did many things that hadn't been done before, and definitely broadened the horizon of rock music big time. The Ummagumma live album is a great document of that, the best that we have of one of the best bands in the world at full power. Obviously one can discuss the rating of something that is built on older material, but for me this is the essential Pink Floyd. The second album is very good in places and fun in others, I listen to it with curiosity and can appreciate it, even though I agree that quite a bit of it hasn't that much relistening value. I'm generally always curious what can be done in music, what sounds can be used and how, and they did much exploration here, even if maybe not all of it successful. You've got to appreciate experimentation and not doing things as the mainstream thinks they have to be done. I think I'd give it a 13, 15 coming from the live album.

Edited by Lewian - April 20 2023 at 03:41
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2023 at 03:50
I don't think I can rank PF Embarrassed - Meddle, DSOTM, More, AHM, WYWH, Animals are all excellent to me, even ASOS is up there. I wouldn't know how to do them justice in a ranking. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2023 at 03:52
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

I've not used a Gnosis 15 so far and have only used the Gnosis 14 only 13 times, which gives me 0% and 0.08% respectively, out of +/- 8000 ratings

I think you should treat yourself Hugues, and move your favourite 25 albums up a notch... Wink

Perfection is not of this world, mon ami. Wink
BTW, I have +/- 100 Gnosis 13 and 350 Gnosis 12 (1.3% and 4.5% respectively)
I kind of wear it as a badge of honour, to be one of the most severe rater  on the Gnosis site. 

Here is my Gnosis 14: (shoot me, no Genesis, Yes, ELP, King Crimson, etc...)

14           Caravan In the Land of Grey and Pink            Eng         1971     
14           Circus     Movin' On            Swz        1977     
14           Coltrane, John      A Love Supreme  USA        1964     
14           Harmonium         Si on Avait Besoin d'une Cinquieme Saison   Can         1975     
14           Jethro Tull            Thick as a Brick    Eng         1972     
14           Nucleus We'll Talk About It Later    Eng         1971     
14           Out of Focus        Out of Focus        Ger         1971     
14           Pink Floyd            Dark Side of the Moon       Eng         1973     
14           Pink Floyd            Wish You Were Here          Eng         1975     
14           Santana Caravanserai        USA        1972     
14           Schulze, Klaus      Timewind             Ger         1975     
14           Spirit      The Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus           USA        1970     
14               Supertramp         Crime of the Century         Eng         1974      

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2023 at 04:15

I kind of wear it as a badge of honour, to be one of the most severe rater  on the Gnosis site. 

Here is my Gnosis 14: (shoot me, no Genesis, Yes, ELP, King Crimson, etc...)

14           Caravan In the Land of Grey and Pink            Eng         1971     
14           Circus     Movin' On            Swz        1977     
14           Coltrane, John      A Love Supreme  USA        1964     
14           Harmonium         Si on Avait Besoin d'une Cinquieme Saison   Can         1975     
14           Jethro Tull            Thick as a Brick    Eng         1972     
14           Nucleus We'll Talk About It Later    Eng         1971     
14           Out of Focus        Out of Focus        Ger         1971     
14           Pink Floyd            Dark Side of the Moon       Eng         1973     
14           Pink Floyd            Wish You Were Here          Eng         1975     
14           Santana Caravanserai        USA        1972     
14           Schulze, Klaus      Timewind             Ger         1975     
14           Spirit      The Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus           USA        1970     
14               Supertramp         Crime of the Century         Eng         1974  

Quite an interesting list, thanks. I probably should try harder with Caravan... Ermm

I suppose when you are blessed with a 15 digit scale, you can afford to keep '15' off limits; that said, I bet you don't give very many albums a 3 or less, either? My personal problem with the PA scale is that as I'm reticent to give 5's and almost never give 1's, it becomes so limited that most albums are bunched around the 3 and 4 stars, which comes to mean very little.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2023 at 05:00

I suppose when you are blessed with a 15 digit scale, you can afford to keep '15' off limits; that said, I bet you don't give very many albums a 3 or less, either? My personal problem with the PA scale is that as I'm reticent to give 5's and almost never give 1's, it becomes so limited that most albums are bunched around the 3 and 4 stars, which comes to mean very little.

Technically, there is more crud than quality in the world of pop music Geek
 Sooooo, TBH, I tend to think that most of the pop albums on earth are certainly below a G7 or G5 rating (the cringe Pinch comes at G4 and below, IMHO), but I haven't 90% heard them, or if I did, I haven't cared to rate them. 

That said, my overall Gnosis rating frequency from 15 to 1 is more of Gauss curve on a graph (frequency of occurrence being the Y axis and Gnosis rates being the X-axis), with most of my Gnosis ratings being 9, 8, 7 and 6 (technically I view that as PA3Star and PA2Star). 
And yessss, not using a G15 is a luxury I can afford, given the 15 scale. LOL
Not even sure I could spare a space like that on a 10 scale. Stern Smile

I guess that most other "Gnostics"LOL also have the same Gauss curve, though I suspect often a "skewed bell"  shape (meaning skewed towards the top ratings), because most members only care to rate the stuff they love or remember well - rather than understandably focus on the bad stuff. 

In other words, I tend to rate from the middle of the scale, rather than from the top of the scale. 
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2023 at 07:46
Pretty much only interested in PF's seventies albums when they were 'fully formed'. Not that interested in their weird psychedelic/experimental roots while they settled for being a PF tribute band in later years and not even as good as Aussie Floyd (as they have readily admitted).
Meddle, DSOTM, WYWH and Animals are total classics. The Wall like a lot of doubles is a but messy but well it still has In The Flesh, Run Like Hell and Comfortably Numb which are as good as anything they did.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2023 at 12:24
This is the forum of a progressive music site: it's normal that The Piper is not the forumists' favourite album.

But, from the point of view of musical history, Pink Floyd never wrote a more revolutionary album than The Piper. In particular, the track Interstellar Overdrive alone is worth a rock band's career. Wanting to associate it with A Sauceful of Secrets, I think I can say that from Atom Heart Mother onwards, thus including TDSOTM and WYWH, Pink Floyd have musically become a reactionary band.

I'm talking about music, not lyrics, about the musical impact on an era: nothing is better than the first album, and at most the second. The albums of the seventies may appeal more to a prog fan, they may be more elaborate and complex in sound and composition, they may constitute summits of high quality, but the suites of AHM, TDSOTM and WYWH are very cerebral, very reassuring, very captivating, they want to seduce with a melodic, slow and sumptuous style, completely planned: they are the opposite of being transgressive, excessive, revolutionary, the opposite of Interstellar Overdrive where disorder and improvisation reign. The psychedelic revolution had already passed.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2023 at 14:27

Sooooo, TBH, I tend to think that most of the pop albums on earth are certainly below a G7 or G5 rating (the cringe Pinch comes at G4 and below, IMHO), but I haven't 90% heard them, or if I did, I haven't cared to rate them. 

That said, my overall Gnosis rating frequency from 15 to 1 is more of Gauss curve on a graph (frequency of occurrence being the Y axis and Gnosis rates being the X-axis), with most of my Gnosis ratings being 9, 8, 7 and 6 (technically I view that as PA3Star and PA2Star). 

I guess that most other "Gnostics"LOL also have the same Gauss curve, though I suspect often a "skewed bell"  shape (meaning skewed towards the top ratings), because most members only care to rate the stuff they love or remember well - rather than understandably focus on the bad stuff. 

In other words, I tend to rate from the middle of the scale, rather than from the top of the scale. 

Thanks, that's quite interesting.

Tell me, when you have a rating system of 1-15 which you have obviously been using on Gnosis for many years now, do you find you adjust your ratings more regularly?

I know you have a sizeable collection which necessitates some albums being played infrequently. So, when you do dust them off and give them a spin, do you actively look at the grading previously given and adjust them? On PA, once an album has been given a 4 star rating, that alone will cover a broad spectrum and will therefore probably stay the same for ever, whereas it is quite conceivable that a 9 might move to a 10 over time? I just wondered how actively you used the rating system on a weekly/ monthly basis? 
runciblemoon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runciblemoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2023 at 03:24
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

This is the forum of a progressive music site: it's normal that The Piper is not the forumists' favourite album.

But, from the point of view of musical history, Pink Floyd never wrote a more revolutionary album than The Piper. In particular, the track Interstellar Overdrive alone is worth a rock band's career. Wanting to associate it with A Sauceful of Secrets, I think I can say that from Atom Heart Mother onwards, thus including TDSOTM and WYWH, Pink Floyd have musically become a reactionary band.

I'm talking about music, not lyrics, about the musical impact on an era: nothing is better than the first album, and at most the second. The albums of the seventies may appeal more to a prog fan, they may be more elaborate and complex in sound and composition, they may constitute summits of high quality, but the suites of AHM, TDSOTM and WYWH are very cerebral, very reassuring, very captivating, they want to seduce with a melodic, slow and sumptuous style, completely planned: they are the opposite of being transgressive, excessive, revolutionary, the opposite of Interstellar Overdrive where disorder and improvisation reign. The psychedelic revolution had already passed.

This is a really interesting take. I don't fully agree, but I certainly see where you're coming from. I'd say AHM is where you see the band grappling with their pyschedelic/experimental urges and a desire to create a more polished final product. That of course reaches its apex with DSotM, which I do think for all of its musical conservatism is still breaking norms in its use of the studio. DSotM is one of the first and, to this day, best attempts at creating a fully immersive, cohesive, pseudo-cinematic experience on record. Of course, once they cracked that particular nut it was for the most part diminishing returns (for pure personal enjoyment Animals is my go-to, but I can't for a second pretend they're doing anything new on that one).
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2023 at 06:43
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

I would say that until Waters left, Floyd was probably the most innovative band, reinventing itself systematically with each new album, yet remaining totally Floydish at first listen. Not one album sounded the same or was a repeat of the former. Can't say that of Yes, Genesis, Crimson , GG, VdGG, Zappa, etc... 

Thanks, that's quite interesting.

Tell me, when you have a rating system of 1-15 which you have obviously been using on Gnosis for many years now, do you find you adjust your ratings more regularly?

I know you have a sizeable collection which necessitates some albums being played infrequently. So, when you do dust them off and give them a spin, do you actively look at the grading previously given and adjust them? On PA, once an album has been given a 4 star rating, that alone will cover a broad spectrum and will therefore probably stay the same for ever, whereas it is quite conceivable that a 9 might move to a 10 over time? I just wondered how actively you used the rating system on a weekly/ monthly basis? 

FYI, I've started on PA, RYM or Gnosis in 2004/5.and JMA 20 2011.

First rule of the Gnosis site is that Gnosis is evolutive and asks  its members to update your ratings in case your tastes have evolved. I certainly do that on a regular basis, but not systematically. I don't think my ratings on Genesis, Crimson or Yes will evolve (I don't even listen to them anymore, since I know them by heart), so I don't go there anymore; but I do so often for the stuff I've discovered in the last decade. So yes, my Gnosis gradings will change up or down a notch or two. 

One of the other thing I do is compare by year and intercompare by groups (whether I grade Yes albums to Genesis or Crimson albums with the same "rules & spirit") These rating methods I've also applied right from the start for PA and JMA (I also did some ratings for RYM as well quite a while ago) with the 5 stars ratings systems - applicable on all 3 other sites. BTW: I'm a strong supporter of the half-star ratings possibility on PA (it's applicable on other sites)

Soooo, I do update regularly on Gnosis, rarely on PA & JMA (I've stopped reviews over 5 years, and I find access to reviews/ratings is relatively arduous when you've got 3500 and 2000 ratings respectively) and almost never on RYM (who cares, there?).

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Stressed Cheese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stressed Cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2023 at 08:50
Since this thread has become a place where people just post their Gnosis ratings for Pink Floyd, I'll join in!:

Animals - 15
WYWH - 14
DSOTM - 13
(Ummagumma Live - 13)
Piper - 13

MID
Atom Heart Mother - 12
Meddle - 12
Ummagumma - 11 ((13 + 8) / 2 = 10.5 ~= 11)
Secrets in a Saucer - 11

LOW
Clouds - 9
More - 8
(Ummagumma Studio - 8)
The Wall - 7
Final Cut - 4

Might seem a bit harsh for The Final Cut, but according to the Gnosis rating system, everything 5 and above can't be called "bad" and TFC is bad, so.  A 4 still corresponds to a 2-star album on PA, so I'm being generous, if anything. But both it and The Wall are due some relistens, so who knows, could go up a bit. Or down!

On the topic of this whole Gnosis rating stuff. I'd come across it but never really looked at it, but I like this system...I'd tried to come up with something similar (and always thought a 15-point scale was great), in case I ever make more of an effort to review stuff, but this should do. I have some thoughts, though.

First of all, a rating of 9 apparentely indicates a "pretty good" album that's "better than most", but it also says, one "may or may not keep" an album with a rating of 9. Why would you not keep a pretty good album that's better than most? That's a bit silly. Second, if you don't use ratings of 15, and everyone's free to decide that for themselves, of course, but a 14 effectively becomes the highest grade, and so a 14/14. Again, it's fine, but why not give a 15 to that select group albums that you'd take on a hypothetical desert island?

Okay, not to be like the 10th person to respond to this, but that does not sound like Ummagumma to me at all. It does sound like some parts of More, however.

Ambient, soundtrack-like music implies it's perfect for putting on in the background, but I'd say that Ummagumma has a lot of details to pick out for a careful listen. The live disc especially has some very nicely layered/built-up songs, and on the studio disc, Grantchester Meadows and The Narrow Way are very conventional songs. Maybe some repeat listens will make you appreciate it more, idk.

I would say that until Waters left, Floyd was probably the most innovative band, reinventing itself systematically with each new album, yet remaining totally Floydish at first listen. Not one album sounded the same or was a repeat of the former. Can't say that of Yes, Genesis, Crimson , GG, VdGG, Zappa, etc... 
I don't know. I think their albums from 1971-1975 don't really evolve that much. Not to say they didn't grow at all, but I'd say that even something like Crimson changed more from, say, Poseidon to Red, than Floyd did in from Meddle to Wish. Zappa only really didn't change as much from album to album because he wrote so much stuff that a single "era" or style could easily fill at least 2, if not more albums. So if you control for the sheer amount Zappa released and the relatively small amount of albums Floyd released, Zappa easily wins in versatility/innovation.

And hey, don't say they didn't innovate after Waters left! They took a big, big turn when he left: they became boring.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2023 at 14:00
Originally posted by Stressed Cheese Stressed Cheese wrote:

I don't know. I think their albums from 1971-1975 don't really evolve that much. Not to say they didn't grow at all, but I'd say that even something like Crimson changed more from, say, Poseidon to Red, than Floyd did in from Meddle to Wish. Zappa only really didn't change as much from album to album because he wrote so much stuff that a single "era" or style could easily fill at least 2, if not more albums. So if you control for the sheer amount Zappa released and the relatively small amount of albums Floyd released, Zappa easily wins in versatility/innovation.

And hey, don't say they didn't innovate after Waters left! They took a big, big turn when he left: they became boring.

And in what way do any of the first eight VdGG albums sound like any of the other first eight albums? In those first eight VdGG, one has four very different sounds (TAGM, {TLWCDIWTEO, HTHWATOO, PH}, {G, SL, WR}, TQZ/TPD), and even {TLWCDIWTEO, HTHWATOO, PH} really has three distinct sounds, as does {G, SL, WR}, even though they can be grouped together based on some similarity of sound.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2023 at 04:52
OK, I just updated in Gnosis mt News From Babel rating from 9 & 10 to 10 & 11 repectively, because I just referred to Gnosis to see the year 1984 for the 1984 poll PP bumped a few minutes ago. I did so, because the first NFB album seemed drowned in a sea of average albums at a G9 grade, something it did not deserve, IMHO. It's much more fitting with a Gnosis 10, IMHO. Their second (with Wyett on vocals) is much better, and merited to be featured atop 1986 and with a 11, it achieved that (86 is a relatively poor year - one of the poorest, FTM)

Originally posted by Stressed Cheese Stressed Cheese wrote:

LOL

What I meant is that the ambiance on everyone of their 70's albums are very different as they progressed from a happy-hippie soundtrack (More & AHM) to an oppressive doom soundscape (Animals, Wall, TFC). Of course this is also linked to Waters taking the control of the lyrics, and in doing so, modified the rest of the band's sonics. Waters recently claimed to have mainly written DSOTM and to a lesser extent WYWH, and he's not wrong, because of the critics on society and their own surroundings: the mood changes drastically from OFTD, Echoes, Pillow & Fearless on Meddle to DSOTM's Time, Money, U&T, and Brain Damage and later on Shine On You and Welcome to The Machine. Let's not forget either, that Dogs & Sheep also date from the WYWH recording sessions (just like The Wall's Run Like Hell sounds very much like it belonged on Animals).

Furthermore, Floyd has many works on the first part of the decade which remains relatively obscure (and therefore unknown to the masses, because never officially releawsed), such as like tracks like Embryo or Cymbalene (the extended version), the Roland Petit Ballet (between Meddle and DSOTM) and The Man & The Journey suite.

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2023 at 16:04
I never hide that fact that Piper at the Gates of Dawn is my favorite from them. Lots of people don't "get it", but the joke's on them. It's their limitation, not the band's.
Greenmist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2023 at 01:29
Originally posted by Boojieboy Boojieboy wrote:

I never hide that fact that Piper at the Gates of Dawn is my favorite from them. Lots of people don't "get it", but the joke's on them. It's their limitation, not the band's.

I think thats a little bit unfair.   You dont have to be into every single music style a band has ever done.   Sometimes bands go in directions to genres of music your not really into.

Its like im a big fan of Savatage the prog metal band, but im not much of a fan of Savatage the traditional heavy metal band.   Hall of the Mountain King in my opinion is their only "good" album from that era.   Power of The Night is not too bad i guess, but Sirens, Fight For The Rock and Dungeons Are Calling, not a fan of at all.  Nearly all Paradise Lost fans arnt too crazy about the album Believe In Nothing.

Coldplay have 2 era's to them aswell.  Before 2010 they were more like early Radiohead, but after that year they went more pop rock where i dont think that era is as good.   On their latest album however, on its final track, they had a go at a prog rock style song, and ill give them their dues, they didnt do a bad job of it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>