Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Italian literature

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which writers have you read a book by?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [7.89%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.63%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [5.26%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [5.26%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
9 [23.68%]
2 [5.26%]
2 [5.26%]
1 [2.63%]
1 [2.63%]
12 [31.58%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [7.89%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Italian literature
    Posted: May 06 2023 at 12:58
In the UE or in the USA the perception of Italian literature is very different from that of Italians. Many authors who are famous abroad are considered very badly by Italian critics, and many authors considered by Italian critics are unknown abroad.

When Eugenio Montale (Nobel Prize winner for literature) interviewed Ernest Hemingway and asked him which was his favourite neo-realist book, he said 'Il cielo č rosso' (The sky is red) by Giuseppe Berto, which is very little known and considered in Italy.

Other authors who enjoy great fame in Europe or America are Ignazio Silone, Giovanni Guareschi, Umberto Eco, Susanna Tamaro, all of whom are very little considered in Italy (Eco was famous, however).

The three Italian authors universally recognised as greats of 20th are Italo Svevo, Luigi Pirandello and Carlo Emilio Gadda. Do you know them? Pirandello with his theatre became famous in Europe and America.

In general, 20th century Italian literature has gone into decline, and only poetry remains alive. Dario Fo, the last Italian to win the Nobel Prize was a great performer but his plays were not written to be read.

I would be curious to know whose Italian authors you have read novels or short stories (or poetry). I write here the most famous names, as far as I know, plus a few who may not be famous. 

Please, write the books you have read.
Multiple votes are allowed.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - May 06 2023 at 18:49
"Happiness is real only when shared"
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 13:20
Eco
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 13:46
Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

Eco

The name of the rose?
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 13:46
Generally, I read more non-fiction than fiction, but due to my studies, profession and interests I have read some of Dante Alighieri, Italo Svevo and Pier Paolo Pasolini. Saw some plays by Pirandello and Fo, but never read any of their works. And from Umberto Eco I mainly read (all of) his books on semiotics; I tried to read In the Name of the Rose and Foucault's Pendulum, but got stuck before the first 100 pages: too overwrought and too boring.
Funny thing is that the first two authors I was thinking of when reading the thread title were Alberto Moravia and Primo Levi. Of Moravia, Pasolini and Eco I've read more than just one work (also tried to read Moravia in Italian: Racconti surrealisti e satirici, but that was not easy...).

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 13:51
I have read a handful of books by Umberto Eco. My favourites are The Name of the Rose and The Prague Cemetery.

My wife has read some Neapolitan Novels by Elena Ferrante.

Edited by someone_else - May 06 2023 at 13:52
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 17:56
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Generally, I read more non-fiction than fiction, but due to my studies, profession and interests I have read some of Dante Alighieri, Italo Svevo and Pier Paolo Pasolini. Saw some plays by Pirandello and Fo, but never read any of their works. And from Umberto Eco I mainly read (all of) his books on semiotics; I tried to read In the Name of the Rose and Foucault's Pendulum, but got stuck before the first 100 pages: too overwrought and too boring.
Funny thing is that the first two authors I was thinking of when reading the thread title were Alberto Moravia and Primo Levi. Of Moravia, Pasolini and Eco I've read more than just one work (also tried to read Moravia in Italian: Racconti surrealisti e satirici, but that was not easy...).

Many readings, Kees.

Yes, I've thought about Moravia and Levi...

Moravia has fallen in disgrace in Italy.

In my twenties I read The Name of the Rose and loved it.

I don't know if I would still like it that much now. Critics praise Eco's erudition but trash him as a novelist. 

Eco wrote that the beginning of the novel was deliberately slow, to see if the reader would get used to the pace of a monastery: you failed the test, Kees! ;-)

In my opinion, The Pendulum of Foucalt is quite beautiful and interesting, while the later ones, The Island of the Day Before and Baudolino I also abandoned before page 100.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - May 06 2023 at 18:54
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 18:33
From the list Umberto Eco, Dante and Boccaccio. Eco's Foucault's Pendulum and The Name of the Rose are two of my favorite novels of all time. My penchant and schooling as a medievalist drew me to Dante and Boccaccio, who really detailed the human condition in the 13th/14th century; whereas Petrarch was always a bit too dry and self-important (perhaps self-pitying as well). 

Not on the list Italo Calvino.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 18:51
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Not on the list Italo Calvino.

You're right. I forgot him!

Now he's on the list (Quasimodo is out)
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 19:00
I love this novels:

1) Italo Svevo: La Coscienza di Zeno

2) Giuseppe Berto: Il Male Oscuro

3) Tomasi di Lampedusa: Il gattopardo

4) Leonardo Sciascia: Todo Modo

5) Antonio Tabucchi: Sostiene Pereira

6) Mario Pomilio: Il quinto evangelio

7) Primo Levi: La Tregua

8) Pier Paolo Pasolini: Teorema

9) Carlo Emilio Gadda: La Cognizione del dolore

10) Luigi Pirandello: Il fu Mattia Pascal

11) Umberto Eco: Il nome della Rosa

12) Alessandro Baricco: Oceano Mare

Edited by jamesbaldwin - May 06 2023 at 19:01
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 20:16
Dante Alighieri and Umberto Eco
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2023 at 02:52
  Eco in the modern authors.  on the not listed, I recommend Giacomo Casanova's multi volume memoirs, The Story of My Life.  an incredibly rich historical, social and personal panorama of people & events across Italy and all of 18th century Europe.
https://twitch.tv/guygudenspacepirateradio
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2023 at 03:12
Hi,

Something like this was always the biggest problem around our house of Portuguese, Brazilian and Spanish Literature with over 30K books in that realm alone.

It's hard to look at all the rest of the material, and we found that about 20% of what dad had was not indexed anywhere, and some graduate students started the process, only to have it cutoff later, after dad passed away ... the new fascist in charge said they did not want to waste money, and that specified that the rest of the "literature" was, as Castaneda once said ... "you know what ________ do with paper?

I've read Eco, Dante, Boccaccio, and a couple more that are not listed, and I don't even feel comfortable voting. Pasolini's inclusion seems a bit strange, as in many ways, that was more a film, than it was a book as far as I know. But, I think it suggests more that he thought that cinema, was the new "literature" ... and not that his work would be considered instead of a film that is very difficult for foreign audiences to see.

Sadly, if you do this to a lot of literature the world over, you will get similar results ... however, in my book and from what I have seen, this is the saddest side and facet of many an university and their studies. Too much emphasis on what is "big" and a disregard for anything else. The 20th century has shown us that things were not like that at all ... and yet, here we are doing the same thing as the history as taught by many academics all over the world.

I always thought ... respect the art ... not the history and its "academics". I still live by that.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2023 at 04:11
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Pasolini's inclusion seems a bit strange, as in many ways, that was more a film, than it was a book as far as I know.

You have some catching up to do, Pedro. He was quite a prolific writer. I only read two of his novels (Una vita violenta and Il sogno di una cosa; I read them in French) and some of his poetry, but I have to recommend you (moral obligation for you as critic and poet yourself) to read his essays on literature, cinema, the screenplay, film grammar, technology... especially the bundle Heretical Empericism. Get it and read it, he wrote it for you!

Edited by suitkees - May 07 2023 at 04:15

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2023 at 05:07

Hi,

Something like this was always the biggest problem around our house of Portuguese, Brazilian and Spanish Literature with over 30K books in that realm alone.

It's hard to look at all the rest of the material, and we found that about 20% of what dad had was not indexed anywhere, and some graduate students started the process, only to have it cutoff later, after dad passed away ... the new fascist in charge said they did not want to waste money, and that specified that the rest of the "literature" was, as Castaneda once said ... "you know what ________ do with paper?

I've read Eco, Dante, Boccaccio, and a couple more that are not listed, and I don't even feel comfortable voting. Pasolini's inclusion seems a bit strange, as in many ways, that was more a film, than it was a book as far as I know. But, I think it suggests more that he thought that cinema, was the new "literature" ... and not that his work would be considered instead of a film that is very difficult for foreign audiences to see.

Sadly, if you do this to a lot of literature the world over, you will get similar results ... however, in my book and from what I have seen, this is the saddest side and facet of many an university and their studies. Too much emphasis on what is "big" and a disregard for anything else. The 20th century has shown us that things were not like that at all ... and yet, here we are doing the same thing as the history as taught by many academics all over the world.

I always thought ... respect the art ... not the history and its "academics". I still live by that.

Pedro, 

Pasolini was essentially a poet. He started by writing poetry in his native language, Friulian, which is very different from Italian. He also won one of the most famous Italian literary prizes. Then he moved to Rome and started a long work on the Roman dialect, with which he wrote his first two novels, which are in the vein of neorealism: "Ragazzi di vita" and "Una vita violenta". The first was censored for obscenity (Pasolini was on trial for obscenity for many of his works). At the same time he began his work as a literary critic and film director, he said he wanted to transpose the vision of a poet into movies. 

However, you are right saying that Pasolini is famous abroad mainly for his films. Even in Italy critics recognise that his activity as a film director is perhaps better than his activity as a poet (as a writer of fiction he is not considered among the greatest, but he made the history of neo-realism with Ragazzi di vita).

PS Do you know Antonio Tabucchi? He is the greatest Italian scholar of Portuguese literature. He lived in Lisbon and translated many Portuguese works into Italian, he was the editor of Fernando Pessoa's Book of Disquiet, he established the order of the various fragments. He is the author of two wonderful novels located in Portugal: "Sostiene Pereira" and "La testa perduta di Damasceno Monteiro".

In Sostiene Pereira there is a critic of Salazar dictature.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2023 at 05:26

Pasolini's inclusion seems a bit strange, as in many ways, that was more a film, than it was a book as far as I know.

You have some catching up to do, Pedro. He was quite a prolific writer. I only read two of his novels (Una vita violenta and Il sogno di una cosa; I read them in French) and some of his poetry, but I have to recommend you (moral obligation for you as critic and poet yourself) to read his essays on literature, cinema, the screenplay, film grammar, technology... especially the bundle Heretical Empericism. Get it and read it, he wrote it for you!

Oh, do you like Una vita violenta and Il sogno di una cosa?

I've not read them (not even Empirismo eretico: while I am familiar with Scritti corsari)
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2023 at 05:54
^ I read them both more than 30 years ago, but yes, I enjoyed them. My memories of Una vita violenta (translated in Dutch!) are overtaken by the film adaptation (not made by himself...) and I might reread Il sogno di una cose soon again (have it in French).
Empirismo eretico also exists in a Dutch translation, which was - at least a moral - obligation to read for us as film students.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2023 at 06:24
Eco, Pirandello (*), Guareschi, Fo (*), Calvino (*). A little bit of Dante (*, still too difficult). Others: Gaetano Salvemini (*), Macchiavelli, Luciano de Crescenzo (*), Gialli by Antonio Manzini (*), Camilleri (*), Alessandro Robecchi (*), Gianrico Carofiglio (*). Some of these may not exactly count as "literature". (*): In Italian.

Oh, and Tabucchi, I had read Sostiene Pereira in German but had forgotten that the author is Italian.

Chances are I'd like Svevo's La conscienza di Zeno. Somehow I never get round to that one, probably I should buy it (there should be at any time an Italian book to read for me).

Edited by Lewian - May 07 2023 at 06:40
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2023 at 06:33
I enjoyed all by Calvino immensely, but all of it was pretty short, short story collections etc., or a concept collection like "Le citta invisibili" (which I read in German). I read Pirandello "Uno nessuno e centomila" but that was in a too early stage of my Italian learning. I thought I learn a lot when reading something too difficult which is true but I may have missed quite a bit of the book. All the Gialli (crime stories) entertained me very well. I liked The Name of the Rose but had difficulties with some other Eco I tried. Probably my favourite Italian book is Salvemini's Le origine del fascismo in Italia, but that's a history book so doesn't really fit here.

I should by the way say that I'm a German living in Italy and read also as an exercise in language, sorry for showing off a bit, I'm not that well read overall. Or rather, as can be seen from the above, more often than not I prefer history books over literature.

Edited by Lewian - May 07 2023 at 06:38
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2023 at 08:15

Hi,

As I said ... "as far as I knew" ... but again, I have always thought that PPP was the first to think/state that cinema was the new form of "literature", and in my funny/weird way of looking at films via the director's eye, it shows.

I have the print out for Pasolini on Pasolini from my days in school. I'll read it again.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2023 at 09:09
^ I know you said that... And I don't know what has been translated into English (or Portuguese, for that matter), but Heretical Empericism is, and that is a serious recommendation, knowing your love for and research on cinema, poetry, screenplays, art...! Really, this is a must read for you, I think.

Edited by suitkees - May 07 2023 at 09:10

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>