Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yes "Mirror To The Sky" Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 00:08
12 years ago....Hail and welcome, Yuppets!

``Well…it’s so easy to sit behind their little laptops and post negativity,
so I’ll be watching these Yuppets very closely, and giving that lot
back as good as they can give – and more.``  G. Downes

Edited by cstack3 - May 29 2023 at 00:08
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 00:24
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Little laptops?! LOL 
I'm posting negativity from my BIG laptop only. 
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 05:11
I had to Google yuppet as I didn't know what that meant. I don't think Downes knows either, unless there is another meaning.

The definition I got: "Highly supportive and endlessly agreeable puppets who only respond in the affirmative."

Wouldn't a band called "Yes" want a bunch of Yuppets supporting them?'

Edited by mathman0806 - May 29 2023 at 05:30
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 05:16
^ Yup! Big smile
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 07:58
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

I had to Google yuppet as I didn't know what that meant. I don't think Downes knows either, unless there is another meaning.

The definition I got: "Highly supportive and endlessly agreeable puppets who only respond in the affirmative."

Wouldn't a band called "Yes" want a bunch of Yuppets supporting them?'

He posted it in Progressive Ears - there was a massive row about the band there, and Downes bit.

Yuppets is a play on words. Over here, a Muppet is not only a Kermit like puppet, but a fool, clown, dickhead, idiot, & etc. He simply transplanted the Y in front to demonstrate it was Yes "fans" who were the culprits.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 08:40

Now if they put that much creativity into their music then perhaps no negative reviews would flow from typing fingers, eh?

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 08:47
Ah, okay. That makes sense. Thanks!
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 09:02
Too bad they didn't hire Dr. Teeth, Floyd Pepper, and Animal to join the band.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 09:42
Going off on a tangent. This reminded me of Haken's video for the Cockroach King.

There is a place for prog and muppets. Pruppets?

Edited by mathman0806 - May 29 2023 at 09:44
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 10:49
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

THIS is a band!
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 11:02
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Now if they put that much creativity into their music then perhaps no negative reviews would flow from typing fingers, eh?
Well they did just put out their best album in 22 years but it hasn't stopped people from complaining Tongue 

Now that I'm actually looking at the discography, my top 5 since the 70s would probably include Magnification as #1 and after that loosely Drama, Mirror to the Sky, Talk and the original Fly From Here. If you view Keystudio as a standalone studio album that would probably edge out one of the last two.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 11:11
^ the best since argument is purely subjective

For many of us Yes represents a musical era gone by
Wobbler and other bands have long surpassed anything Yes has put out since the 70s

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 11:13
Saying they put out their best album in 22 years is clearing a low bar. I can say it and still not care for it. I don't think it's bad but I find it uninspiring prog by numbers. There are good bits here and there but nothing too memorable. It could even sneak into top 5 Yes albums since the 70's, but that's not too meaningful.
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 11:15

Wobbler and other bands have long surpassed anything Yes has put out since the 70s

Which, again, is purely subjective as you well know.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 11:38
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

Which, again, is purely subjective as you well know.

Subjective as far as personal preferences but as far as technical and compositional fortitude there is no comparison

Sorry but I’m on the side of the public at large with this one

Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 11:43

Saying they put out their best album in 22 years is clearing a low bar. .........  It could even sneak into top 5 Yes albums since the 70's, but that's not too meaningful.
This is admittedly pretty much true. It's interesting how much people still care to talk about Yes even though most of the output for the last 40+ years has been (in my purely subjective opinion!) pretty lukewarm with a couple of gems or in a lesser way fine albums here and there. And that's why I find it so absolutely great that after all this time I actually find myself being excited about a new Yes album, which I never expected to happen.

Coincidentally Wobbler's Dwellers of the Deep is the other prog album I've listened to particularly much this year and a week ago I ordered their first three albums which I never really listened to when they came out.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 12:40

Saying they put out their best album in 22 years is clearing a low bar. I can say it and still not care for it. I don't think it's bad but I find it uninspiring prog by numbers. There are good bits here and there but nothing too memorable. It could even sneak into top 5 Yes albums since the 70's, but that's not too meaningful.

^ this

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2023 at 01:48
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Don't forget Janice and Zoot!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2023 at 14:43
I listened to it today on youtube while making lunch. The only track that really stood out for me as being anything special was the title track. Still, I might buy it if just for that alone.

For those saying this band isn't Yes consider that this band is descended directly from the lineup that had Alan White and Chris Squire (not to mention at one point Jon Anderson) so technically and legally they are Yes. No Jon Anderson does not equal not Yes. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not Yes. I'm not crazy about everything they have done over the past 20 or 30 years either but I won't say they aren't Yes just because nothing they have done lives up to their classic albums of days gone by.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 31 2023 at 14:50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234