Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Jerry Harrison & Adrian Belew Remain In Light 2023
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jerry Harrison & Adrian Belew Remain In Light 2023

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paisanojac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jerry Harrison & Adrian Belew Remain In Light 2023
    Posted: May 11 2023 at 13:44
I've discovered that Jerry Harrison and Adrian Belew, who was on the Remain In Light album by the Talking Heads, are touring this album (and possibly performing some Belew numbers as well). I've noticed different phases of the tour, one of which is just the Harrison/Belew RIL tour, while other dates look like they're opening for Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade, while the final dates are with "special guests" (an opening band?) named Cool Cool Cool.  Here's the tour website: https://www.remaininlight.net/

My question is if anyone knows if the RIL tour setlist or stage time is reduced when RIL is the opening act for Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade, or will the time on stage be about the same regardless of which of the three phases of the tour is in play.  Anyone know? 

Edited by paisanojac - May 11 2023 at 14:42
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2023 at 06:29
Originally posted by paisanojac paisanojac wrote:

I've discovered that Jerry Harrison and Adrian Belew, who was on the Remain In Light album by the Talking Heads, are touring this album (and possibly performing some Belew numbers as well). I've noticed different phases of the tour, one of which is just the Harrison/Belew RIL tour, while other dates look like they're opening for Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade, while the final dates are with "special guests" (an opening band?) named Cool Cool Cool.  Here's the tour website: https://www.remaininlight.net/

My question is if anyone knows if the RIL tour setlist or stage time is reduced when RIL is the opening act for Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade, or will the time on stage be about the same regardless of which of the three phases of the tour is in play.  Anyone know? 

Hi,

That's a tour I would spend money on ... and with the Frog Brigade doing so much far out stuff, this makes it a nice weekend. I guess I would be less enthused about Harrison/Belew, than I would the Frog Brigade.

Edited by moshkito - May 12 2023 at 06:29
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2023 at 07:14
....TH minus TH = 0...

Edited by mellotronwave - May 12 2023 at 07:14
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2023 at 08:47
On the dates with Les Claypool's Frog Brigaede. The two bands I believe are co-headlining and alternating who opens. Les Claypool's Frog Brigade has Sean Lennon as part of the brigade and they are performing Pink Floyd's Animals in its entirety. Both bands are playing full sets.
Disconnect View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Disconnect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2023 at 09:59
I've got VIP tickets for the tour's stop at Saranac Brewery in Utica on June 24th.   Looking forward to it.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2023 at 11:57
Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

....TH minus TH = 0...

Well, yes, your logic is right, but Jerry Harrison + Adrian Belew = more or less 0.21 TH, no? Wink

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2023 at 16:54
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

....TH minus TH = 0...

Well, yes, your logic is right, but Jerry Harrison + Adrian Belew = more or less 0.21 TH, no? Wink

Arithmetically ? Indeed !
paisanojac View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paisanojac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2023 at 13:53
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

On the dates with Les Claypool's Frog Brigaede. The two bands I believe are co-headlining and alternating who opens. Les Claypool's Frog Brigade has Sean Lennon as part of the brigade and they are performing Pink Floyd's Animals in its entirety. Both bands are playing full sets.

Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks, bro. 

I've lost count, but I've seen Adrian Belew live perhaps 14 times (Crimson, solo, Bears, Crimson Project) but to see him perform Remain In Light with one of the Talking Heads will be a delight. Only saw TH once (on the Speaking In Tongues tour around.......'83?), so this will be different (still good), and I'll enjoy Les Claypool's FFB as well, so it's a two-scoop ice cream cone. 

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paisanojac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 20:23
Originally posted by Disconnect Disconnect wrote:

I've got VIP tickets for the tour's stop at Saranac Brewery in Utica on June 24th.   Looking forward to it.

Got myself a ticket for June 14 Moody Amphitheater in Austin, TX.  My son will be seeing them the night before at Fair Park Music Hall in Dallas, TX.

Edited by paisanojac - May 25 2023 at 20:25
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2023 at 05:19
Weird coincidence:  Ijust met a dude last night who saw Adrian & Jerry and some "Brooklyn Band" perform the entirety of Remain in Light last year in Milwaukee (Jerry's hometown) at Summerfest! He said that without Byrne there they were able to restore the old spirit of the Heads. He LOVED it--couldn't stop talking about it!--that and being at Red Rocks in '83 (after ten hours of pre-concert partying--in the pouring rain) when they were recording U2's concert for Under a Blood Red Sky

Based on this guy's account, I would HIGHLY recommend trying to attend Adrian & Jerry's tour. Sounds like a great show.

Edited by BrufordFreak - May 26 2023 at 05:21
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Disconnect View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Disconnect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2023 at 16:38
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Weird coincidence:  Ijust met a dude last night who saw Adrian & Jerry and some "Brooklyn Band" perform the entirety of Remain in Light last year in Milwaukee (Jerry's hometown) at Summerfest! He said that without Byrne there they were able to restore the old spirit of the Heads. He LOVED it--couldn't stop talking about it!--that and being at Red Rocks in '83 (after ten hours of pre-concert partying--in the pouring rain) when they were recording U2's concert for Under a Blood Red Sky

Based on this guy's account, I would HIGHLY recommend trying to attend Adrian & Jerry's tour. Sounds like a great show.

Thanks for this post - looking forward to the show even more now!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2023 at 17:03
I am going to the Richmond show on June 6.
yes-no-and-why View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yes-no-and-why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2023 at 00:34
I saw them last week or so (not revealing exact date/city, thankyouverymuch, internet privacy and all), and it was great. They did Thela Hun Ginjeet. Cool Cool Cool is their backing band being its own band, and I don't remember what they're like very much.

The hilarious thing was that I saw someone there in a Larks' Tongues shirt, someone in an In The Court shirt, and for some inexplicable reason someone in a Fragile shirt, but I observed exactly zero Discipline (etc) -related merch, the closest thing was an Adrian Belew Power Trio shirt (oh yeah! Julie Slick was on bass!)

I drew a picture of Adrian, in case I got the opportunity to give him it (as I did to Tony Levin at a Stick Men show some months ago, but that's a different story....), but as soon as I found out they were selling meet & greet passes I kind of knew I had no chance...so I wrote him a note on the back of it and gave it to one of the members of Cool Cool Cool (who was running the merch table afterwards) and asked her to give it to him..... I wonder what he thought of it.... if it ever actually got to him....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2023 at 05:25
I saw the show last night. The show was outdoors on Brown's Island which is an artificial island on the James River next to downtown Richmond. This restricts when a band can play and for a week night, that's 10 pm.

This was the first show with both Jerry Harrison and Adrian Belew (playing first) and Les Claypool's Fearless Frog Brigade. So, concert was scheduled to start at 6 pm with gates opening at 5:30. I was in line at 5:40. I was still in line when the show started promptly at 5:59.

Opening song was Psycho Killer and it sounded good (being outdoors, I could hear the show). I got in during the second song, Crosseyed and Painless. Really good show and the backing band Cool Cool Cool was excellent. In the shows earlier this year, they also opened. Adrian Belew did Adrian Belew things with his guitar. They played about two-thirds of Remain In Light. Belew sat out on a couple of numbers and then xame back and ripped through Thela Hun Ginjeet with Harrison sitting out on that.

They played a near full set at around 1 hour 15 minutes. Sound mix was excellent.

About half hour passed and then Les Claypool's Fearless Brigade came on. They played for over 2 hours straight through, including the entire Animals album. Les Claypool did Les Claypool things on the bass and was amazing. Show ended at 9:55 to end before the 10 pm cutoff. Altogether, nearly 3 and half hours of music in 4 hours.

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paisanojac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 19:43
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

I saw the show last night. The show was outdoors on Brown's Island which is an artificial island on the James River next to downtown Richmond. This restricts when a band can play and for a week night, that's 10 pm.

This was the first show with both Jerry Harrison and Adrian Belew (playing first) and Les Claypool's Fearless Frog Brigade. So, concert was scheduled to start at 6 pm with gates opening at 5:30. I was in line at 5:40. I was still in line when the show started promptly at 5:59.

Opening song was Psycho Killer and it sounded good (being outdoors, I could hear the show). I got in during the second song, Crosseyed and Painless. Really good show and the backing band Cool Cool Cool was excellent. In the shows earlier this year, they also opened. Adrian Belew did Adrian Belew things with his guitar. They played about two-thirds of Remain In Light. Belew sat out on a couple of numbers and then xame back and ripped through Thela Hun Ginjeet with Harrison sitting out on that.

They played a near full set at around 1 hour 15 minutes. Sound mix was excellent.

About half hour passed and then Les Claypool's Fearless Brigade came on. They played for over 2 hours straight through, including the entire Animals album. Les Claypool did Les Claypool things on the bass and was amazing. Show ended at 9:55 to end before the 10 pm cutoff. Altogether, nearly 3 and half hours of music in 4 hours.

The show in Austin, Texas was pretty much as you described for your show on the island near Richmond. Harrison & Belew with Cool Cool Cool (I'll call them C3 for short) played for one hour and ten minutes.  Claypool's FFFB played for a bit more than two hours. Both acts were great. I never in my dreams thought I'd be able to see Belew perform with a TH and do Remain In Light, so this was quite memorable for me. Remain In Light is the highest rated TH album here on Prog Archives, and Adrian's contribution on that album makes a big imprint. Jerry Harrison played guitar, keys, and voice, while Adrian Belew played guitar and voice, and he was, well......Adrian.  I've seen him perform many times and he never, ever fails to put on a show. Julie Slick on bass, of course. She's pretty much a staple in a Belew show. C3 is a large band with drums/percussion, sax, singers, etc. They complemented Jerry & Adrian quite well. After the show I splurged and got myself a Harrison/Belew RIL t-shirt.

Below you can see Harrison at center and Belew right of center.

Below you can see Julie Slick on the right. 

Claypool's FFFB is rather genre-defying and put on a great, artistic show. Claypool is a master bassist and his creativity reminds me of Adrian Belew in some ways. Never thought I'd ever see/hear one of John Lennon's sons perform, but there was Seann Lennon on guitar.  

Claypool plays to the right in the photo below:

The following Saturday I went to Dallas to see Dream Theater/Devin Townsend/Animals as Leaders with my son. 4th time for me seeing Dream Theater. Such a great band. La Brie, their singer, is starting to lose his vocal range and power. You can't sing for so many years like that and not expect the possibility of that happening. That's too bad, but oh well, he can still perform well enough.  Devin Townsend was quite interesting, and I found his personality to be quite pleasant. AAL is a heavy instrumental group with some cool song titles, like "Physical Education". 

It was a great week for me, and I hope all of you have some great shows to attend. 

Edited by paisanojac - July 26 2023 at 10:37
 Post Reply Post Reply