Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dev Log for New Music

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stomach Cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dev Log for New Music
    Posted: May 14 2023 at 10:52
It's been nearly 10 years since I've posted on this site, but this is really where it started for me, and perhaps for that reason, its only appropriate that I return here.  

I released two digital EPs and one full-length EP between 2012-2013, which achieved very modest success. I briefly studied music composition at university from 2015-2017 but dropped out due to conflicts. I played in a few different local bands from 2015-2019, but none were successful.  Nonetheless, I released two more full-length digital LPs of my own in 2017 and 2019, the later of which was also available on CD. Since 2019, I experienced significant life changes that required me to take a break from writing and recording music. However, I continued to work on some ideas and now I can confidently say that I've made significant progress.

Despite my new responsibilities, the circumstances of my life now are far more permissive to pursue this passion given some time and conscientious effort. And to that end, consider this post to be the first of a series dedicated to documenting the progress made towards producing a new album.  I have no set template or agenda for how I will compose these posts other than I intend to do so on a semi-regular basis as time permits. I will make an effort to include clips of either audio, video, or tabs as much as possible. Moreover, I will discuss the production process, since it has undergone many changes since even just two years ago. Eventually, I will share lyrics too.

I want to share my gratitude in advance. Writing and performing prog rock is so important to me, and the time I've spent away from it has only reinforced my desire to do just that. I look forward to sharing this experience with you. 

To start with, here is a recent demo recorded in South Korea shortly before I left. It was the last song I recorded using the boss GT-6. The guitar tone is not terrible in my opinion, but the track will need bass guitar and a rerecord of the intro synth guitars. I used the GT-6 to record my last full LP in 2019 as well as an unreleased demo shortly after. It was a definitely a useful piece of equipment for the time that I had it, but it was a pain to say the least. I've since upgraded to a helix stomp XL which has sped up the writing and recording process at least tenfold. For live performance, I believe the HX will be equally, if not more, effective, given its smaller form factor.  Theoretically, it also has the capacity to switch tones automatically with cues from the DAW. This is something that I will experiment with in preparation for live shows, though stomping a few switches is hardly an issue regardless.

Tabs are include in the mediafire link, and the .GP tabs include some ideas for lyrics.

https://on.soundcloud.com/WUxbT

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/nucxi15l19o92/Tabs

Post Reply Post Reply