Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite guest appearance on a prog album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2023 at 13:05
^Fripp's guitar solo on Eno's "Baby's On Fire" is notable.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2023 at 13:10
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Personally my favorite guitar solo of all time, fiery.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2023 at 13:20
Nope, and I'm an idiot for not reading the whole line!

Thanks for the eye-opener :-)

I make no promises or commitments before coffee . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2023 at 13:49
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Another favorite of mine!!  He also did amazing solos on "Another Green World," "Before & After Science" etc. 

Fripp's solo on Bowie's "Heroes" is another classic!  I saw the David Bowie Tribute show in Tucson a few months ago, and Adrian Belew played that solo perfectly!! 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2023 at 14:33
David Jackson (Jaxon) from VDGG adding some very soulful sax to Brinsley Schwartz's 'Despite it all' lp

Roy Harper- well, where do i start? The whole of 'The Nice' on Folkjokeopus and 'Hells angels' on Flat baroque and beserk lp. Jimmy Page on Stormcock, Lifemask and Valentine. David Gilmour on HQ, Unknown Soldier and Once lps. Kate Bush on Unknown Soldier and Once lps. Bill Bruford, Chris Spedding and John Paul Jones on HQ. Paul and Linda Mac Cartney on Bullinamingvase, Ian Anderson on Flashes from the Archives of Oblivion double lp.. and lots of others.

Rick Wakeman also played piano and spinett on a couple of Ralph Mc Tell's early lps.

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2023 at 14:45
Peter Hammill's appearance on Robert Fripp's "Exposure". His performance in "Disengage", "Chicago" and "I May Not Have Had Enough of Me but I've Had Enough of You" are the high points of the album for me.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2023 at 15:47
I don't think these were mentioned yet...

Mark Bolan in ELO's On the Third Day album.
Roy Harper on Pink Floyd's Have a Cigar.

Once you leave the 1970s, guest performers are rather more prevalent, particularly on avant prog albums, and later with projects like Ayreon. Some guests in recent years appear on several albums each year, like Steve Hackett and Marco Minnemann as good examples.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2023 at 16:26
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

1. EWF horns on "No Reply at All": Genesis - Abacab
2. Ben Mink, electric violin on "Losing It": Rush - Signals
3. Eddie Jobson, electric violin on "Forever Until Sunday": Bill Bruford - One of a Kind
4. Mike Oldfield, guitar on "Downwind": Gong - Downwind
5. Phil Collins, drums on 2 tracks: Mike Oldfield - QE2
6. David Gilmour, guitar on "Brother Where You Bound": Supertramp - Brother Where You Bound
7. Anthony Phillips, guitar on 2 tracks: Camel - The Single Factor
8. Adrian Belew, Max Bacon, and Chris Thompson's guest vocals: Mike Oldfield - Earth Moving

Great calls!! Clap
MoebiusStreet View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoebiusStreet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2023 at 17:21
Peter Gabriel on Robert Fripps's Exposure. This recording of "Here Comes the Flood" is the best, superior to Gabriel's own recording of it.

Edited by MoebiusStreet - May 16 2023 at 17:22
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2023 at 18:09
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

From the top of my head: Randy California (from Spirit) on guitar for Peter Hammill's Red Shift. A perfect match! (the remaster is from 2006, but the track is from 1974)

this album is a materpiece of darkness
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2023 at 18:26
Anthony Phillips on Camel The Single Factor
Simon Phillips on Camel The Single Factor
Amanda Parsons on National Health
Amanda Parsons on Gilgamesh
Robert Wyatt on Hatfield And The North
Mike Ratledge and Jon Lord on David Bedford The Odyssey Live
Mike Oldfield on David Bedford Instructions For Angels
Andy Powell on Renaissance Ashes Are Burning
Steve Walsh on Steve Hackett Please Don't Touch
Claudio Simonetti on Arsnova Biogenesis
Michael Giles on Anthony Phillips Sides
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2023 at 18:47
The late, great John Tout on Wishbone Ash's "Throw Down the Sword" (organ). 

Keyboardist and songwriter, died on May 1, 2015 in London, England. John Tout is best known for his role in Renaissance between 1970 and 1980 and again from 2000 to 2002. Prior to joining Renaissance he was briefly a member of Wishbone Ash. He also was part of Renaissance drummer Terry Sullivan's band Renaissant which released one album in 2005.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2023 at 18:54
-Anthony Phillips on Steve Hackett's Out Of the Tunnel's Mouth. The songs: "Emeral and Ash" and "Sleepers."
- On Jon Anderson's "1000 Hands" there are many guests, like Chick Corea, Ian Anderson, Jean Luc Ponty and many others.
- Martin Barre appeared as a guest on one John Wetton's song (I don't remember the album/song).
- Ian Anderson played flute with Blackmore's Night first album, as well as a live concert with Uriah Heep and PFM.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2023 at 21:36
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I don't think these were mentioned yet...

Mark Bolan in ELO's On the Third Day album.
Roy Harper on Pink Floyd's Have a Cigar.

Once you leave the 1970s, guest performers are rather more prevalent, particularly on avant prog albums, and later with projects like Ayreon. Some guests in recent years appear on several albums each year, like Steve Hackett and Marco Minnemann as good examples.

Thanks!  I believe that in the 1970s, record labels were more restrictive of where their signed artists could perform or record.  

I guess one has to differentiate between "solo" projects and "band" projects.  I was originally interested in guests artists on "band" projects, ie. Jon Anderson on "Prince Rupert Awakes." 

Eno's albums were essentially solo projects, so nearly all artists appeared as guests. 

Another favorite of mine is "Two Sides of Peter Banks!"   His guests included Jan Akkerman, John Wetton, Phil Collins, Steve Hackett, and some of his Flash bandmates!  I imagine they had a good party!
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2023 at 21:40
Eddie Jobson on Crimson's USA
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2023 at 22:13
Jade Warrior's Jon Field on Tubular Bells.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2023 at 07:14
Originally posted by Heart of the Matter Heart of the Matter wrote:

Eddie Jobson on Crimson's USA

just for the remix I think
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2023 at 07:18
PFM and Peter Hammill : The sea of memory ( live in Japan 2002)
Amorphous Androgynous & Peter Hammill : We persuade ourselves we are immortal (2020)
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2023 at 07:52
From Steve Hackett's first solo album, Voyage Of The Acolyte, on the song "Star Of Sirius", the guest on bass guitar, none other than John Gustafson! (RIP)

Edited by presdoug - May 17 2023 at 10:02
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2023 at 09:46
David Longdon (from the Big Big Train station in Nottingham) guesting on Steve Hackett's Spectral Mornings with Welsh songstress Christina Booth & Magenta. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>