Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite guest appearance on a prog album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Jackal3000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2023 at 20:51
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I first heard amazing fretless bassist Percy Jones on Eno's "Another Green World!"  I had to go "Who the F is THAT???"   (look at the lineup....Phil Collins!)

Good one! And funny, because I was just going to mention Eno guesting on Camel's "Raindances," AND Phil Collins guesting on Camel's "I Can See Your House From Here." Neither is actually amazing, but it's cool that they guested on Camel albums!
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2023 at 20:56
My favorite? Probably the guest appearances of Neal Morse and other ex-Beard members on Falling for Forever. B)
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2023 at 21:13
Violinist Jorge Pinchevsky guesting on Sui Generis 3rd studio album

Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Formentera Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2023 at 17:16
My favourite two albums of the 70's with 'famous' guest musicians are probably

- Chris Squire: 'Fish Out Of Water' with Bill Bruford, Mel Collins, Patrick Moraz and Jimmy Hastings

- Steve Hackett: 'Voyage of the Acolyte' with Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford, Percy jones and Sally Oldfield.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2023 at 17:37
Originally posted by Formentera Lady Formentera Lady wrote:

My favourite two albums of the 70's with 'famous' guest musicians are probably

- Chris Squire: 'Fish Out Of Water' with Bill Bruford, Mel Collins, Patrick Moraz and Jimmy Hastings

- Steve Hackett: 'Voyage of the Acolyte' with Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford, Percy jones and Sally Oldfield.

Excellent, thanks!  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2023 at 20:32
How about Rick Wakeman playing piano and minimoog on Black Sabbath's "Sabbra Cadabra", and at the opposite end of the spectrum, he was also the piano accompaniment on Cat Steven's "Morning Has Broken". 

Edited by The Dark Elf - June 15 2023 at 20:32
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2023 at 20:55
I am very happy to announce that my album 'No Absolute Time’ has been remastered and is now reissued on CD, vinyl and digital! With an African rhythm section and guests soloists Kevin Eubanks on guitar and Wally Minko on keyboards. Available worldwide at https://mps.lnk.to/JLP-NoAbsoluteTime except in the USA and Canada”

(Eubanks is a monster jazz-rock guitarist, and Minko has long been a JLP collaborator, so watch for this!)

Edited by cstack3 - June 16 2023 at 20:56
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2023 at 12:30
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I don't think these were mentioned yet...

[snip]Roy Harper on Pink Floyd's Have a Cigar.[/snip]

Not forgetting Snowy White's splendid solo on the longer version of 'Pigs on the Wing' which was made for the 8-track release of 'Animals'.

Edited by Progishness - June 24 2023 at 12:32
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote axeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2023 at 09:42
My favorite guest spot is hands down: Steve Hackett's solo on Neal Morse's "12" (from "?"). 

One of Hackett's all time best solos, IMO. I remember listening to the album and have that "Is that Hackett?moment, followed by a "that ISHackett!". It's a goose-bump wave for me. 

As far as 70s, I'd say Fripp's Frippertronics on Peter Gabriel's ("Car") album. 
-John
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2023 at 23:51
Originally posted by axeman axeman wrote:

My favorite guest spot is hands down: Steve Hackett's solo on Neal Morse's "12" (from "?"). 

One of Hackett's all time best solos, IMO. I remember listening to the album and have that "Is that Hackett?moment, followed by a "that ISHackett!". It's a goose-bump wave for me. 

As far as 70s, I'd say Fripp's Frippertronics on Peter Gabriel's ("Car") album. 

Good stuff, thanks!!  Clap
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2023 at 18:48
My favorite guest appearance on a prog album is when Mark Andrews played keyboards on Richelieu's Prayer 2012 on the album Beyond the Realms of Euphoria by Galahad.
Lumenko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lumenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2023 at 18:07
Richie Havens' appearance on Steve Hackett's album "Please Don't Touch".
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2023 at 04:36
I'm a huge fan of the late, great Peter Banks, and he was known for inviting many guests including: 

a)  Tony Kaye on the debut "Flash" LP (pity that Tony was never made a permanent band member!) 

b)  John Wetton, Phil Collins, Jan Akkerman and others on his solo LP "Two Sides of Peter Banks" 

He also was a frequent guest on other musician's projects!  What an interesting fellow, RIP Peter!  
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2023 at 05:25
James LaBrie making a guest appearance on Ayreon's Dream Theater Equation. Smile

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2023 at 18:17
Vangelis on Socrates - Phos 
Joe Walsh on Carl Palmer - LA Nights (from ELP- Works Vol One)
Carl Palmer on Mike Oldfield - Mount Teide
Maddy Prior on Mike Oldfield - Incantations
Robert Fripp on Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill
Rick Wakeman on David Bowie - Life On Mars?
Steve Walsh on Steve Hackett - Narnia
Greg Lake on Pete Sinfield - Still
Jon Hiseman on Keith Emerson - Honky Tonk Train Blues (However I can't corroborate this but I believe it was the 'United Jazz + Rock Ensemble'' that played on Emerson's cover of Honky Tonk Train Blues of which Jon Hiseman was a founder member)

martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinprog77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2023 at 02:24
Robert Frlipp  – guitar on "Fade Away and Radiate ' on Blondie Smile
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2023 at 02:55
Rick Wakeman on Black Sabbath's 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath'
Maddy Prior on Jethro Tull's -Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll: Too Young To Die
Maddy Prior on Mike Oldfield's ' Incantations'
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2023 at 09:50
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Robert Fripp on Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill

Steve Hunter performs all the guitar parts on "Solsbury Hill". Fripp has acknowledged this.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2023 at 10:46
Juergen Fritz and Helmut Koellen guested on some tracks on the lone, studio album "You Can Help Me" by German group "Jail", issued in 1976. The group released a great single called "Julie" featuring Koellen on lead vocals and guitar which I really admire.

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2023 at 12:40
I just remembered that the late/great keyboardist for Renaissance, John Tout, played guest keyboards on the mighty album "Argus" by Wishbone Ash!   Specifically, he played organ on "Throw Down The Sword." 

Edited by cstack3 - December 19 2023 at 12:41
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>