Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are you going to buy the new Yes album(MttS)?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Are you going to buy Mirror To The Sky?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [10.77%]
44 [67.69%]
6 [9.23%]
8 [12.31%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are you going to buy the new Yes album(MttS)?
    Posted: June 06 2023 at 11:53
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Not that this is an argument not to buy the latest Yes album but it's interesting that it didn't even chart in the US. The last Porcupine Tree album made it to number 90. Does this mean that PT are more popular than Yes? Or maybe a more likely explanation is that most of the people who normally would buy a Yes album are older fans who have long since given up on the band and aren't interested in new material by them (not enough to put it on the BB charts anyway).
Yes is much bigger/more popular than Porcupine Tree. The difference is no one's (except for a handful of guys at PA) is longing for a new album from the band that calls themselves Yes in 2023. While Porcupine Tree fans knows - or has at least reasons to hope that Steven Wilson can still deliver the goods (for them).

I don't think it's that simple. Both bands play at about the same size venues these days.  I would say more older people know about and like Yes but more younger people know about and like Porcupine Tree. The last few PT albums charted higher than Yes. Yes is more famous overall but I think more people are into  PT than Yes right now. If you substituted everything I said about PT with King Crimson it would still make sense.
  I see your point. I don't even acknowledge this "Yes" as Yes. The latter classic band who made Roundabout, Close to the Edge and Owner of a Lonely Heart has five times as many monthly listeners as  Porcupine Tree on Spotify. Even young people listen to Yes A LOT more.

-I do love 1970's Jethro Tull an uncomparable amount more than Porcupine Tree. But if I got to choose one concert to attend to (for free, I wouldn't pay for any of them) out of the two for a 2023-gig, I'd still choose the ticket for the Porcupines. As I know (from experience) I'd be better off watching a tribute band at a local bar in regards to Tull.
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2023 at 11:21
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

No. The fact that these guys are still continuing in 2023 with only one core member left (arguably two) is just wild to me, and their modern output comes off as an empty cover version of the original band 

Arguably two? I don't think so. Downes is not a core member. I guess he's Steve Howe's long time friend, despite the fact that Steve quit Asia three times LOL. Probably these two do not argue, i imagine Geoff is not arguing with Steve LOL and they have a good working relationship somehow. Confused

Yeah, Downes was the "arguably" second one I was talking about LOL But in any case, the current incarnation of Yes just doesn't strike me as Yes anymore. The magic is gone now Cry

Why wouldn't Downes be a "core" member? He first joined the band more than 40 years ago, and Mirror to the Sky is his fifth studio album with Yes. Billy Sherwood has contributed to the band in various capacities since the early 90's, and Mirror to the Sky is his fourth Yes studio album as full member. Jon Davison has been with them for over a decade already and writes or co-writes much of the material. How many roads must a man walk down before you call him a man?

Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr ProgFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2023 at 10:48
No. These days I‘m mainly listening via Spotify and Bandcamp. Occasionally I‘ll buy vinyl releases of my favorite music (only this week I‘ve ordered the transparent blue vinyl version of the Golden Age of Music). This Yes release, albeit much better than I had thought, is not even close …
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2023 at 10:34

What's the definition of "core member"? Does it mean "old" or "important" or something else? And how is the concept applicable to the case of Yes?

The history of Yes is a history of line-up changes. The original line-up only lasted for two albums, and rarely did they make more than a couple of albums before somebody in the band moved on or was replaced by another (sometimes someone new, somtimes a returning, older member). Very different line-ups have managed to conjure up the "Yes spirit" and create good music.

Instead of focussing on who is currently in the band, why not focus on the music they are making? As the case of Heaven & Earth proved, having both Squire and White still in the band didn't help them to make a strong album. At that point, it made sense to argue that they should have just stopped. The Quest was better, but not great. Mirror to the Sky is much better, and personally I feel that it is a worthy Yes album - the best in a long, long time.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2023 at 15:53
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Not that this is an argument not to buy the latest Yes album but it's interesting that it didn't even chart in the US. The last Porcupine Tree album made it to number 90. Does this mean that PT are more popular than Yes? Or maybe a more likely explanation is that most of the people who normally would buy a Yes album are older fans who have long since given up on the band and aren't interested in new material by them (not enough to put it on the BB charts anyway).
Yes is much bigger/more popular than Porcupine Tree. The difference is no one's (except for a handful of guys at PA) is longing for a new album from the band that calls themselves Yes in 2023. While Porcupine Tree fans knows - or has at least reasons to hope that Steven Wilson can still deliver the goods (for them).

I don't think it's that simple. Both bands play at about the same size venues these days.  I would say more older people know about and like Yes but more younger people know about and like Porcupine Tree. The last few PT albums charted higher than Yes. Yes is more famous overall but I think more people are into  PT than Yes right now. If you substituted everything I said about PT with King Crimson it would still make sense.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 05 2023 at 15:55
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2023 at 10:37

Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2023 at 10:03

No. The fact that these guys are still continuing in 2023 with only one core member left (arguably two) is just wild to me, and their modern output comes off as an empty cover version of the original band 

Arguably two? I don't think so. Downes is not a core member. I guess he's Steve Howe's long time friend, despite the fact that Steve quit Asia three times LOL. Probably these two do not argue, i imagine Geoff is not arguing with Steve LOL and they have a good working relationship somehow. Confused

Yeah, Downes was the "arguably" second one I was talking about LOL But in any case, the current incarnation of Yes just doesn't strike me as Yes anymore. The magic is gone now Cry
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2023 at 08:47

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 05 2023 at 08:49
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2023 at 01:38

Rottenprogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rottenprogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2023 at 01:32
I tried giving the new album a chance but after those first two tracks were released the little interest I had in it was completely washed away. Competently made and very unchallenging music that lifts from superior material. 

I didn't get The Quest and I won't be getting this one either. 
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2023 at 21:46
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2023 at 21:20
I guess I will.
telefunk View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote telefunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2023 at 12:05
Very courageous ;-)
telefunk View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote telefunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2023 at 12:02
Yes, endless dream was pretty good!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2023 at 11:52

Originally posted by telefunk telefunk wrote:

No way. This is not Yes. Have never bought anything with clueless alternative members like Trevor Rabin, Davidson or other second rate replacements.

I enjoy the Rabin albums, especially 90125 and Big Generator. There, I said it. LOL

I would add Talk to the list. That has Endless Dream on it which is one of their best post 70s epics imo.

Yeah, Talk is a good album, I like the two I mentioned above more. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2023 at 11:44

No way. This is not Yes. Have never bought anything with clueless alternative members like Trevor Rabin, Davidson or other second rate replacements.

I enjoy the Rabin albums, especially 90125 and Big Generator. There, I said it. LOL

I would add Talk to the list. That has Endless Dream on it which is one of their best post 70s epics imo.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2023 at 11:33

telefunk View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote telefunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2023 at 11:30
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2023 at 10:51

Of course I bought it, I am a completist and must have all Yes studio albums on CD. I ordered it on the release date this time, rather than pre-ordered like I did The Quest. Honestly, I didn't expect much from it, but unlike the previous album, Mirror to the Sky has actually gotten me excited about Yes again! It's good!

Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2023 at 13:07
Four listens in it's by far the best Davison era album and might be better than Fly From Here. Very pleasantly surprised so far.

Edited by Pekka - May 20 2023 at 13:11
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>