Best metal bands that are not prog metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best metal bands that are not prog metal
    Posted: July 12 2023 at 06:58
Doom metal ... one of my favorite genres. Here's a recent release that I really like. Tagged it as prog-related on first listen, but I might upgrade it eventually. It's quite epic!

IncogNeato View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IncogNeato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2023 at 06:51
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ Yes, to me the debut album sounded pretty much like a somewhat darker Rock 'n Roll album (second track even features harmonica throughout) with heavy guitars. The opening track sounded a lot like Doom Metal, and is often referred to as the first Doom Metal track in history. But for the album as a whole, it does not sound particularly "metal" to these (young, 80s-primed) ears. Even Deep Purple were heavier or as heavy on albums like In Rock or Machine Head.

Oh. for sure. Hearing something already established after our ears have been primed over long periods of time will not have the same effect as hearing something that was brand new in the context of the rest of the world at the time.

Black Sabbath themselves consider themselves to be simply a hard rock band. Because things like heavy metal and doom metal did not exist. But they also would not exist today without Black Sabbath.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2023 at 06:41
^ Yes, to me the debut album sounded pretty much like a somewhat darker Rock 'n Roll album (second track even features harmonica throughout) with heavy guitars. The opening track sounded a lot like Doom Metal, and is often referred to as the first Doom Metal track in history. But for the album as a whole, it does not sound particularly "metal" to these (young, 80s-primed) ears. Even Deep Purple were heavier or as heavy on albums like In Rock or Machine Head.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IncogNeato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2023 at 05:50

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ Having listened to the Black Sabbath debut album again today, I think that “Heavy Rock” describes it much better than “Heavy Metal”. 

It all comes directly from the Blues seems to me--  you had rock 'n roll that led rapidly to "Psychedelic Rock" which spawned Art & Progressive rock that gave way to Heavy rock which finally led us to the Sabbath debut which to me is the first full-fledged 'Heavy metal' LP.  

The question is what was it about Rock that led to so many iterations of itself.   You don't see that very often in musical forms except maybe 20th century classical.

Is that really true though - did the Sabbath debut come from Art/Prog Rock? I'm not an expert on Black Sabbath, but listening to the debut it seems more likely that it emerged independently, from non-prog heavy rock.

Sabbath evolved from blues rock and Ward added that jazz undertone...it's been very well documented. Art rock? Not that I can hear...
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2023 at 03:10
Behemoth. :p
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2023 at 00:53

^ Having listened to the Black Sabbath debut album again today, I think that “Heavy Rock” describes it much better than “Heavy Metal”. 

It all comes directly from the Blues seems to me--  you had rock 'n roll that led rapidly to "Psychedelic Rock" which spawned Art & Progressive rock that gave way to Heavy rock which finally led us to the Sabbath debut which to me is the first full-fledged 'Heavy metal' LP.  

The question is what was it about Rock that led to so many iterations of itself.   You don't see that very often in musical forms except maybe 20th century classical.

Is that really true though - did the Sabbath debut come from Art/Prog Rock? I'm not an expert on Black Sabbath, but listening to the debut it seems more likely that it emerged independently, from non-prog heavy rock.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IncogNeato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2023 at 18:34
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

Originally posted by IncogNeato IncogNeato wrote:

A few bands that are not on ProgArchives (I don't think) that push the boundaries of metal...

Oxxo Xoox from France (very atmospheric doomy-metal, unique vocals)
Igorrr (From France) (Breakbeat/metal/baroque combination?)

Both of these bands are amazing!!

I was tempted to mention related acts Ricinn, Corpo-Mente, and Whourkr, but I don't know if they still qualify as metal.

I don't know either...but now I need to hear them. Big smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IncogNeato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2023 at 18:29

I mean, you're not wrong. "Heavy Metal" as a genre tag didn't really exist when that debut came out. In perspective, though, it was one of the darkest, "heaviest" things to ever come out to date back then.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2023 at 14:23

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2023 at 13:39
Originally posted by IncogNeato IncogNeato wrote:

A few bands that are not on ProgArchives (I don't think) that push the boundaries of metal...

I was tempted to mention related acts Ricinn, Corpo-Mente, and Whourkr, but I don't know if they still qualify as metal.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2023 at 11:22
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2023 at 10:41
Originally posted by bardberic bardberic wrote:

The thing is that classic heavy metal largely grew out of progressive rock, as it was a huge contribution to the development of the genre. In this regard, most of the 80s heavy metal bands are closely related to the heavier progressive rock bands, and it's almost futile to search for one without prog leanings. The closest really are Black Sabbath (who I don't understand why are on this site in the first place) and Judas Priest, imo.

As the genre began moving away from its hard/blues/psychedelic rock roots and intro the more modern styles, the prog rock elements began being stripped away. So more modern metal styles are less prog-related, typically, then the classic metal material.

This is largely true, as Philip S. Walker notes on Warhorse's Red Sea 
"...Heavy Rock as a style grew out of Progressive Rock sometime in the early 1970s. The trend setters were Deep Purple and Black Sabbath" .

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IncogNeato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2023 at 09:22

TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2023 at 09:18

Oooooooo (aka caterpillar) from France (just ... fun strange stuff)
Pin-Up Went Down (from France) (related to above act, childlike and operatic vocals in one song, brutal in the next)
Xanthochroid (from California) (cool concept metal in vein of Wintersun)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IncogNeato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2023 at 06:56
Love seeing all this Doom mentioned...huge fan!

bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2023 at 21:08
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by cold103 cold103 wrote:

It's ok with me if they're more hard-rock than metal Smile

if you are ok with this then definitely High Tide and Budgie. an example track each:

High Tide:

9_GE9zTW5j8

Budgie:

plkPikPwmTY

Nice recommendation with High Tide. I completely forgot about them. Quite possibly the earliest example of traditional heavy metal there is, predating even prog rock. Their album Sea Shanties should be of particular note.

Frankly, I would not even call Budgie hard rock - I consider them to be bona fide 70s traditional heavy metal But they're also heavy progressive rock, as well. They even made it to this site. So I wouldn't exactly call them non-prog.

Edited by bardberic - July 10 2023 at 21:13
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2023 at 20:45
The thing is that classic heavy metal largely grew out of progressive rock, as it was a huge contribution to the development of the genre. In this regard, most of the 80s heavy metal bands are closely related to the heavier progressive rock bands, and it's almost futile to search for one without prog leanings. The closest really are Black Sabbath (who I don't understand why are on this site in the first place) and Judas Priest, imo.

If you like Black Sabbath, you could try their closely related, but late blooming cousin, Pentagram:

As the genre began moving away from its hard/blues/psychedelic rock roots and intro the more modern styles, the prog rock elements began being stripped away. So more modern metal styles are less prog-related, typically, then the classic metal material.

Maybe try some stoner rock/doom - bands that borrow heavily from Black Sabbath, but utilize more modern techniques. Kyuss and Sleep are good starting points.

Edited by bardberic - July 10 2023 at 20:53
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2023 at 14:59
Iron Maiden, Metallica and possibly Megadeth are not generally considered prog metal so those would be my suggestions. Judas Priest and Black Sabbath would be two more. For a more recent band I would say maybe Evanescence and also Within Temptation. Maybe pretty much any goth metal band too.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 10 2023 at 15:01
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terramystic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2023 at 14:25

Originally posted by terramystic terramystic wrote:

What about AFT (Automatic Fine Tuning)? Self titled album from 1976 sounds very close to prog metal.

That's because it was, and before Schenker or Roth or Malmsteen did the classical/metal thing.

Yes, totally ahead of time.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2023 at 15:39
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ (I understand you wanting people to check out your site which you have put so much effort into and I appreciate and for which I wish recognition, longevity and success). What I meant was sometimes people are looking for recommendations, or just what you think best or favourites, and they might give examples in the original post, and some will just say, maybe try this, and link to a huge number of albums or post what are sometimes called laundry lists of albums -- throw everything in rather than being more selective.

Yes, wanting to "plug" my website is undeniably always part of my motivation. But I also take care to only do so when it is appropriate, which I think is the case here. The list shown is the result of many prog fans tagging releases over the years, expressing their vote on how good a release is (the rating) and how progressive it is. 

Now, what makes it really unpersonal is that it is aggregated into average ratings and values. If I were to break it down into top-10 lists for each individual user that participated, it would probably have much more of an appeal. Still a far cry from actual hand-picked recommendations, but definitely useful to some users.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>