0 [0.00%]
3 [7.89%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [13.16%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reactions to Mirror in the Sky
    Posted: May 23 2023 at 16:26
This seems to be a divisive album, so we have every option at hand. Vote, and please share your thoughts.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2023 at 16:32
annoyingly uneven, predictable and rather generic Sleepy
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2023 at 16:37
^ I have to agree with uneven.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2023 at 16:51
Excellent, but it was very tempting to vote for A Masterpiece! 
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2023 at 17:42
I listened to the whole thing on the weekend while I was working in the kitchen. Usually I have music on that keeps me boppin' around. It was so forgettable I can't even remember half of what I heard and recall zoning out to think about other things. That NEVER happens when I'm working in the kitchen. This album lacks any heart/soul/emotion, pick the term of your choice and I'm sure I'll only listen to it one more time, in about 5 years, as a curiosity.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2023 at 19:49
It's bland. Very unremarkable and unmemorable. I had it on headphones as I worked. I streamed it through my music service, which has an autoplay feature after the album is done. Songs from the autoplay drew my attention compared to any from the Yes album. I often use autoplay as I work, and when a song draws my attention as I work, it's a good indicator of something I should explore further. Yes definitely failed in that regard.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2023 at 21:36
I didn't buy it yet. I was going to but then noticed it was sold out. Go figure.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2023 at 21:38
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

It's bland. Very unremarkable and unmemorable. I had it on headphones as I worked. I streamed it through my music service, which has an autoplay feature after the album is done. Songs from the autoplay drew my attention compared to any from the Yes album. I often use autoplay as I work, and when a song draws my attention as I work, it's a good indicator of something I should explore further. Yes definitely failed in that regard.

Yes isn't for everyone. I remember trying to turn my uncle, who was a huge Pink Floyd fan, onto Yes but he wouldn't take to them. Oh well. Not everyone likes the same thing. That's just reality.
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 03:24
I don't know if I want to listen to it. Maybe i'll check it when I've some free time and mood.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 03:55
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Yes isn't for everyone. I remember trying to turn my uncle, who was a huge Pink Floyd fan, onto Yes but he wouldn't take to them. Oh well. Not everyone likes the same thing. That's just reality.

It's not that Yes isn't for me. The Yes Album is one of my all time favorites. There's such a lack of energy and originality in this release. Even the most memorable bits of music feel like they were borrowed from previous Yes songs.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 04:03
How many more threads or polls are we going to get about this album?
This is what I said elsewhere:
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

It could be a lot worse (e.g. The Quest), and I think this album will find its admirers, but in my opinion it is lacking a lot of originality. Only the title track is interesting, both composition wise and the playing; the orchestrations sometimes a bit cliché, but at other moments quite interesting. The closing track is a nice guitar-voice Yes-kind of ballad, which is OK. It actually also shows that Davison has a good voice, as long as he's avoiding the higher pitched outings.
The rest of the album is really lacking in the song writing department and in the originality of playing: many melodies, riffs, vocal harmonies are just formulaic Yes ripp-offs and make you think of earlier works (which may be a recommendation to some...), lyrics are so-so to cringy and especially Luminosity is a good example of mediocrity.
So, imho, the best is at the end of the album, but you'll have to plow through a safe-playing, formulaic and uninspired Yes-tribute band during the first four tracks.

The second CD is superfluous: the first track is too full of different ideas, which makes it inconsistent, the two other tracks are rather uninteresting Steve Howe pop-rock ditties.

So, I won't buy it, but I must say that the title track of the album is not unpleasant to listen to, and the only one that shows that this band that calls themselves "Yes" might produce some above average music in the future...

So, to me it is a poor album with one good track.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 04:04
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Most people just are not into the music of this Yes line-up, it's not that they don't like Yes in general. 

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 05:51
An improvement from The Quest indeed, but still missing strength, inventiveness and certainly is quite unremarkable. I guess YES is a differente band now, and not part of the elite of progressive rock, as they used to be. Without Steve Howe's guitar, nothing on it would make me think is worth a penny.
Progfan1958 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progfan1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 07:27
I think it's rather good album, their best since "Fly from Here".  Is it a masterpiece ?  Not at all, but it's definitely an enjoyable listen, for the most part. Some songs though, tend to sound like Steve Howe solo album tracks with guests.  There is also not enough highlighted keyboard work from Geoff, and Steve tends to add widdly guitar bits just to fill time.
Progfan1958
"Peace to you all"
"La paix est avec vous"
"Pax vobiscum"
"Al salaam a'alaykum"
"Vrede zij met u allen"
"Shalom aleichem"
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 07:53
Howe is a legend but I can’t stand the singers voice or the horrendous lyrics. The rhythm section is trying to be squire and white but who needs plagiarism we need originality . I don’t know what the keyboardist is trying to do. He sounds exhausted & not engaged. I’ve been watching Jon Anderson with band geeks and they sound very good- including the legend JA. I believe this is about money- many people & their families need money. It will continue when Howe passes too. In a recent interview Howe restated he will never play with JA again -things happened years ago-   one was JA wanted to be paid more then anyone else in the band. 
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 08:10
For me when Squire passed on so did Yes. This is just a cheap imitation. Not even interested when there are literally hundreds of new releases every month that are more innovative, more interesting and more contemporary than anything Yes has done in a long time.

Some of us distinguish between music and brand names and that's all Yes is at this point.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 08:15
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

How many more threads or polls are we going to get about this album?

There were other threads predating the release of the entire album, so I think this may be a good opportunity to discuss the actual thing (not just expectatives) now that it's available for everybody to listen to.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 09:58
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 10:33
My least favorite version of Yes, but I think it is a pretty good album. Slightly better overall than The Quest and much better than Heaven and Earth. I call them Yes-Lite now.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 11:03
Having just listened to it on Spotify, I would say this is an acceptable release and an improvement on the prior album. I would rate it around 3 out of 5, maybe 3.5. The longer track is the best one of the album. I didn't care for the bonus tracks and would have recommended that the band save them for a box set.

I still think Davison was a better singer when he was with Glass Hammer. I think he's trying too much to be like Jon. I don't like his higher-pitched voice and would prefer him sing more at his natural pitch.

I think the production is top-notch; this mix sounds well. I feel some of the instrumental sections could have been expanded on in several songs as they were sounding like interesting ideas. It seems this version of Yes insists on sitting somewhere between 90125-era Yes and their classic period. If they dropped the idea of "making singles" and expand on the music ideas, this would have been a nicer listen.

That's my two cents. Take it with a grain of salt.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>