Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What band should be in PA?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2023 at 09:32
Boi_da_boi_124 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boi_da_boi_124 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2023 at 12:26
I have been listening to Alice Coltrane's solo stuff, and it isn't isn't the most rocky, but her spirituality exhibited in her music is progressive enough to earn her a place in 'Jazz-Rock Fusion'.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2023 at 22:21
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

^The new benchmark for determining whether a band should be on PA: "Are they cooler than the new Yes?"
LOL

Should have said better - when I see reviewers giving 4 stars to this new album - the same amount of stars as Fragile or Ctte or Relayer or even more than Tales or GFTO I must say stop the insanity - this is a bad joke. Or a review on a learning curve- or the new benchmark- give them a trophy for still making music.

Edited by twosteves - May 27 2023 at 22:22
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2023 at 01:25
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I assumed XTC were already on PA!

If my memory is not misguiding me, they were ... long ago.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2023 at 01:31
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

^The new benchmark for determining whether a band should be on PA: "Are they cooler than the new Yes?"
LOL

Should have said better - when I see reviewers giving 4 stars to this new album - the same amount of stars as Fragile or Ctte or Relayer or even more than Tales or GFTO I must say stop the insanity - this is a bad joke. Or a review on a learning curve- or the new benchmark- give them a trophy for still making music.

True, TYE and CTTE are 9 star albums then. Evil SmileLOL
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2023 at 02:05
Originally posted by Boi_da_boi_124 Boi_da_boi_124 wrote:

I have been listening to Alice Coltrane's solo stuff, and it isn't isn't the most rocky, but her spirituality exhibited in her music is progressive enough to earn her a place in 'Jazz-Rock Fusion'.

The same can be said of McCoy Tyner, Pharoah Sanders & Lonnie Listen Smith's respective œuvres.

Revisionism now has them all coined as "spiritual jazz" - a term that was never used (not even created) back then.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
frankbostick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankbostick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2023 at 06:16
Loreena McKennitt
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2023 at 06:25
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Really? Then why were they removed?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2023 at 06:30
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I don't remember XTC being on PA. Confused
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2023 at 06:31

Not likely they were once in.

According to M@X, it's extremely difficult to remove a band once they're in

TMK, only this doom-metal band singing in Latin was removed. (forgot its name)
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2023 at 06:33
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I remember Sonata Arctica was briefly on PA. Also removed. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2023 at 07:03
Hi,

Until such a time as the definition of "progressive music" is better defined with substantial thoughts and ideas instead of fan defined preferences (guitar solo ... blue guitar ... spinning organ ... must have keyboards thing ... etc) ... then the music will not go very far beyond just another song in the FM lists ... though they will never play APP, TFTO, CTTE or some things that are a far better definition of the genre, than the bizarre, non-educated current definition ... not that you have a degree in music (they would mostly vote it all down as street crap anyway ... and college music departments still do!), but a clear understanding of the music, and WHERE/HOW it comes about ... something that the current definition  ignores and thinks that lyrics about Greek Myths are good fire for your bbq!

Honestly, I find The Grateful Dead not being listed sad. They don't fit the mold but they started something that fit ... the long cuts, which Europe took to right away, since they had a history of classical music, a lot of the better known pieces being long cuts and symphonies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Golden Earring did a long version of a Byrds song in the same vein, and Keith (instead) decided that classical music was more important for his two major groups. We can't even give him credit for composition, and think of TARKUS as just another song, because of the bad definition, when the score (in DD's hands) and fingers (Rachel's) show something that not even Rick Wakeman has done right, sticking instead to different themes on different instruments as an "example" of what "progressive " is which helped define the stupid idea of "keyboards" (instead of keyboard) as some sort of standard for what progressive had to be.

Edited by moshkito - May 28 2023 at 07:05
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2023 at 07:15
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Until such a time as the definition of "progressive music" is better defined with substantial thoughts and ideas instead of fan defined preferences (guitar solo ... blue guitar ... spinning organ ... must have keyboards thing ... etc) ... then the music will not go very far beyond just another song in the FM lists ... though they will never play APP, TFTO, CTTE or some things that are a far better definition of the genre, than the bizarre, non-educated current definition ... not that you have a degree in music (they would mostly vote it all down as street crap anyway ... and college music departments still do!), but a clear understanding of the music, and WHERE/HOW it comes about ... something that the current definition  ignores and thinks that lyrics about Greek Myths are good fire for your bbq!

Honestly, I find The Grateful Dead not being listed sad. They don't fit the mold but they started something that fit ... the long cuts, which Europe took to right away, since they had a history of classical music, a lot of the better known pieces being long cuts and symphonies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Golden Earring did a long version of a Byrds song in the same vein, and Keith (instead) decided that classical music was more important for his two major groups. We can't even give him credit for composition, and think of TARKUS as just another song, because of the bad definition, when the score (in DD's hands) and fingers (Rachel's) show something that not even Rick Wakeman has done right, sticking instead to different themes on different instruments as an "example" of what "progressive " is which helped define the stupid idea of "keyboards" (instead of keyboard) as some sort of standard for what progressive had to be.

what bad definition are you talking about? Confused Because if you don't tell us, all you wrote here makes little sense. 

Some people love to complain what bands/artists are missing from PA. Have they suggested any artist/band. probably not, but it's fun to complain I guess. Ouch
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2023 at 13:10

Not a big fan of Layuca (too Latino for me, if memory serves)
Really? I don't mind a little latin in my jazz thoguh. Not at all. But this album is so much more - and all fire. How could it not be with Azar Lawrence, Mtume, Bobby Hutcherson, Billy Hart and Buster Williams (among others) in the line up
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 13:04
As some have mentioned.....XTC, and probably solo Chick Corea and Quicksilver.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 13:54

XTC

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 16:02
Einstürzende Neubauten. (And I, as well, do find it incomprehensible that the Grateful Dead are not prog related.)

Edited by Lewian - May 29 2023 at 16:03
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 16:36
Alice Cooper, if only for this single song:

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
fredyair View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredyair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 21:38
The french duo Air. A interesting mix of ambient, electronic, avant-garde, prog, rock, pop, all at once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csxOgTlq8e0&list=PLUEMihO9lT79Rl5DlaHtUt0KHEkyCwerX
Long live Progresive music!
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2023 at 01:57

Must have been something erroneous 'tween my ears. A bit of factchecking led me to this thread.

Edited by someone_else - May 30 2023 at 01:57
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>