Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Legends of Laurel Canyon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Legends of Laurel Canyon
    Posted: May 24 2023 at 17:24
Haven't We Lost Enough music legends already? So Far this year, we've lost Burt Bacharach, Tim Bachman, Jeff Beck, Harry Belafonte, Bobby Caldwell, David Crosby, Gordon Lightfoot, Keith Reid, Ryuichi Sakamoto, and now Tina Turner too, to name just a few. They're all a Long Time Gone, but their eternal music is destined to Carry On and live with us forever. So Begins the Task of putting together a tribute to the Legends of Laurel Canyon with a special emphasis on the 4 Way Street of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, one of whom is no longer with us. The music of CSN & Y has seemingly been In My Life forever with their evergreen songs constantly playing on the Radio in Our House. For What It's Worth, I believe their timeless music will Carry On through the generations with classic songs that you can Teach Your Children too. Who else but David Crosby could write a song called Almost Cut My Hair and make it sound interesting, and who can forget Crosby, Stills & Nash's very first Live appearance in front of 500,000 festival goers at Woodstock, when Stephen Stills memorably said "We're scared shirtless, man!", or something like that. Joni Mitchell was meant to be there too, but she stayed at home and wrote a legendary song about Woodstock instead. Some other notable legends of the canyon worth mentioning are:- America; Buffalo Springfield; The Byrds; the Doors; the Eagles; the Mamas and the Papas; the Monkees; Jackson Browne; Ned Doheny; Jimi Hendrix; Van Dyke Parks; Linda Ronstadt; J.D. Souther; James Taylor; Brian Wilson; Townes Van Zandt; Frank Zappa, photographer Henry Diltz and many more, including new kid in town: Jonathan Wilson.  Before I get too Carried Away though, here's Just a Song Before I Go:- Suite: Judy Blue Eyes, which Stephen Stills wrote as a tribute to his sweetheart at the time: Judy Collins. Heart

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 10 2023 at 10:04
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 21:06
Didn't Zappa, members of The Mamas and The Papas and The Monkees, Brian Wilson, and Jim Morrison have some connection to the Canyon (or at least a shopping store on Laurel Avenue) as well?

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 23:25
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Didn't Zappa, members of The Mamas and The Papas and The Monkees, Brian Wilson, and Jim Morrison have some connection to the Canyon (or at least a shopping store on Laurel Avenue) as well?

Yes, they did, but there were simply too many names to list them all in the overlong intro last night, and besides, it was around midnight by the time I'd finally done, whereas if I'd written the intro this morning, I may have remembered to give Jimi Hendrix a mention too. Embarrassed 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 00:55
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Here's a fuller list of Legends of the Canyon - from Henry Diltz's superb "California Dreaming" photographic collection - although admittedly, some of the names are Unknown Legends to me. Embarrassed

Anthony Fawcett, Barbara Rounds, Bernie Leadon, Boyd Elder, Chip Douglas, Chris Hillman, Cyrus Faryar, Dan Fogelberg, David Crosby, David Zimmer, Dewey Bunnell, Don Henley, Erik Jacobsen, Gary Burden, Gerry Beckley, Glenn Frey, Graham Nash, Hale Milgrim, Henry Diltz, Jackson Browne, J.D. Souther, Jerry Yester, Jimmy Webb, John Boylan, John Hartmann, John Kay, John Sebastian, John Stewart, Joni Mitchell, Kevin Miller, Mark Volman, Michelle Phillips, Micky Dolenz, Ned Doheny, Paul Zollo, Peter Blachley, Randy Meisner, Ray Manzarek, Renais Jeanne Hill, Richie Furay, Robby Krieger, Ron Jacobs, Rona Elliot, Russ Giguere, Russ Kunkel, Stephen Stills, Timothy B. Schmitt, Tom Rounds & Neil Young!

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - May 25 2023 at 07:07
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 06:59
John Mayall did a fine album dedicated to the Canyon (Mick Taylor on gtr!)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 11:27
Just ordered from the library: Canyon of Dreams - The Magic and the Music of Laurel Canyon by Harvey Kubernik.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - May 25 2023 at 11:28
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 13:33

Canned Heat & Spirit were also in that area
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 16:05
I'm amazed Brian Wilson is still with us.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2023 at 11:25
CROSBY, STILLS, NASH & YOUNG    Four pre-eminent  Legends of Laurel Canyon who formed a new  supergroup from the remains of three previous supergroups. Namely:- David Crosby (the Byrds), Stephen Stills (Buffalo Springfield) and Graham Nash (the Hollies) with Neil Young (Buffalo Springfield) being the occasional fourth member of the Crosby, Stills & Nash line-up. CSN & Y are best-known for their close vocal harmonising with heartfelt songs about Life. Love, Happiness and the American Dream. They weren't afraid to dabble in politics either, especially with songs such as "For What It's Worth", and the later songs "Military Madness". "Shock and Awe" and "Let's Impeach the President" - that last one recorded many years before Donald J. Trump came along and upset the political applecart. Crosby, Stills & Nash also inadvertently launched the genre of "Yacht Rock" - most likely a reference to the three members of CSN lounging about on a boat on the cover of their eponymously-titled 1977 album. Smile 

5 stars 1969: Crosby, Stills & Nash - Crosby, Stills & Nash - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm0sishe02U
 4 stars 1970: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Deja Vu - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mup1xIAwyKo
 4 stars 1971: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - 4 Way Street - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mOdL4eUhMyhhUMzJpVyvqjJtZyxzqvGYQ
 4 stars 1974: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - So Far - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_k8QRbpzqH-BDxKLY5GZ17XXr_0P-F63X4
 4 stars 1980: Crosby, Stills & Nash - Replay - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9L9QfdwbOg
 4 stars 1982: Crosby, Stills & Nash - Daylight Again - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nSPpUEvx2l_hvSm7ymqkgS537PrmmZDwE
 4 stars 1988: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - American Dream - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kcXNEq11uOP2Y3qtuajk5KIgiPiRek1Gg
 4 stars 1994: Crosby, Stills & Nash - After the Storm - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_n_pXhVRsVnZCNpMBRfa2RdfvXpmsPHl-8
 4 stars 1999: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Looking Forward - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nNY9Hfff5RZnB1pS0_mYNjwyxyMCUSnMM
 4 stars 2008: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Deja Vu Live - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_n3wtPZE9-vfwZKE6bODvvWnLkWCeDUMC0

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 07 2023 at 00:41
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2023 at 13:48
An acquaintance has a Laurel Canyon internet radio station and I asked if he had played MIDLAKE's album "Tales of Van Occupanther" and indeed he had.  My other favorites from this grouping would be John Stewart, America and Joni Mitchell.  I also consider Bread to be from that vintage.  Maybe Poco too?  Certain incarnations of Fleetwood Mac?

Edited by kenethlevine - June 10 2023 at 13:49
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2023 at 14:55
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

An acquaintance has a Laurel Canyon internet radio station and I asked if he had played MIDLAKE's album "Tales of Van Occupanther" and indeed he had.  My other favorites from this grouping would be John Stewart, America and Joni Mitchell.  I also consider Bread to be from that vintage.  Maybe Poco too?  Certain incarnations of Fleetwood Mac?

I like all of those artists you mentioned - although I'm unfamiliar with John Stewart - and I'd imagine Laurel Canyon Radio is one of the best radio stations in the world. Smile
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2023 at 15:28
Brian Wilson was certainly living in a different world during the time period when he was writing and recording SMILE. He certainly aimed to capture Americana however it adds an outsider music approach which wasn't totally like Psychedelic to me and in certain cases crossed into insanity not unlike the L.A. freak scene in the late 60s.

Songs like "WONDERFUL" and "WIND CHIMES" were sort of ballads but very odd as Van Dyke Parks lyrics were dreamy and captivating . In "WONDERFUL " the story of the girl being in love with her liberty and perhaps walking through the forest alone and loved by her mother and father is fascinating and luring. In a way she was a misfit and the whimsical aspect of the song crosses into dark depression.

"WIND CHIMES " is drifty, flowing, and fairly unusual in its overall expression. "Though it's hard I try not to look at my wind chimes" This song projects a kind of airy sadness and hope .

"CABIN ESSENCE" is quite different from any style of writing I heard in the late 60s. The song "SURF'S UP" is a masterpiece and it differs from the other tracks on the album.

"THE ELEMENTS FIRE ( Mrs. O' Leary's Cow) is rather insane for its time. Brian Wilson handed out LSD to the band and they wore fireman hats riding around in a fire truck tripping their minds out. This comes across sounding much like The Residents.

The problem is that SMILE wasn't released in 1967..although people did in fact buy bootleg copies of it. Brian Wilson re-recorded the album in the 90s ( I believe?)..but it didn't do anything for me. The original Beach Boys SMILE was interesting and worthy of a listen. Some people in the past have commented the following: "I don't understand what anyone would see in this" You obviously have to like The Beach Boys...but as soon as you've said that you begin to encounter Beach Boys fans who loathe it because they find it all weirded out and disturbing in sections and long for songs about surfing and hot rods.

Brian Wilson was in a strange mindset when he wrote it and some fans cringe when they hear it. I think it's odd for the times. You can obviously tell that it's them singing but they sometimes use phase shifters and echo on their voices which creates a different affect on the album. They employ some J.S. Bach and quirky 2 minute instrumentals that are reminiscent of The Residents Tales Of Two Cities. I've played this album for people under the influence and they become thrown off and can't conclude why they recorded this kind of album. I wonder how it would have affected people in 1967 if it had been released. Danny Hutton claimed that Brian Wilson had short pieces or bits and pieces he recorded. ..but Wilson edited those bits to form a concept album. The bits fall between the songs clocking in between 3 to 5 minutes. It's more like a Rock symphony. I like it because it's unusual.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2023 at 10:13
California Dreamin' - Living the American Dream through my Laurel Canyon album collection.* Heart 

Herb Alpert (1)
America (6)
The Association (5)
David Axelrod (3)
The Beach Boys (2)
Bread (6)
Jackson Browne (4)
Lindsey Buckingham (3)
Tim Buckley (5)
Buffalo Springfield (3)
The Byrds (10)
Cher (2)
Chocolate Watchband (1)
Eric Clapton (15)
Country Joe & the Fish (2)
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young (6)
David Crosby (1)
Crosby & Nash (1)
Christopher Cross (1)
The Deep Six (1)
Delaney & Bonnie (2)
The Doobie Brothers (10)
The Doors (9)
The Eagles (5)
The Electric Prunes (2)
Mama Cass Elliot (1)
Fleetwood Mac (12)
Dan Fogelberg (1)
Glenn Frey (2)
David Gates (4)
Andrew Gold (3)
The Grass Roots (1)
Grateful Dead (4)
Jimi Hendrix (6)
Don Henley (2)
Judy Henske & Jerry Yester (1)
Iron Butterfly (6)
It's a Beautiful Day (2)
Jefferson Airplane (9)
Jefferson Starship (5)
Kaleidoscope (3)
Paul Kantner & Grace Slick (2)
Carole King (13)
John Lennon (1)
Love (4)
The Lovin' Spoonful (6)
The Mamas & the Papas (2)
Dave Mason (3)
Michael McDonald (3)
Scott McKenzie (1)
Buddy Miles (2)
Joni Mitchell (4)
Moby Grape (1)
The Monkees (5)
Maria Muldaur (1)
Music Emporium (1)
Stevie Nicks (4)
Nilsson (6)
Peanut Butter Conspiracy (2)
Gram Parsons (2)
Poco (6)
Quicksilver Messenger Service (5)
Bonnie Raitt (1)
Lou Rawls (1)
Linda Ronstadt (15)
Leon & Mary Russell (1)
Sagittarius (2)
Carly Simon (9)
Grace Slick (1)
Sly & the Family Stone (6)
Spirit (5)
The Standells (1)
Starship (1)
Stephen Stills (1)
The Stills-Young Band (1)
The Stone Poneys (2)
Strawberry Alarm Clock (1)
The Sunshine Company (1)
R. Dean Taylor (1)
James Taylor (3)
The Travel Agency (1)
We Five (1)
Jimmy Webb (6)
Bob Weir (1)
Brian Wilson (2)
Jonathan Wilson (3)
Wilson Phillips (2)
Bobby Womack (9)
Neil Young (15)
The Zodiac: Cosmic Sounds (1)

* Number of CD's in brackets

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 17 2023 at 11:48
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2023 at 06:59
Gone Too Soon - 120 Lost Legends of the CanyonBroken Heart

1937-1999: David Ackles (62)
1946-1971: Duane Allman (24) - The Allman Brothers Band
1947-2017: Gregg Allman (69) - The Allman Brothers Band
1941-2016: Signe Toly Anderson (74) - Jefferson Airplane
1931-2017: David Axelrod (85)
1938-1999: Hoyt Axton (61)
1942-2018: Marty Balin (76) - Jefferson Airplane; Jefferson Starship
1929-2019: Hal Blaine (90)
1943-1981: Mike Bloomfield (37)
1941-1982: David Blue (41)
1944-1987: Curt Boettcher (43)
1935-1998: Sonny Bono (62) - Sonny & Cher
1939-2008: Delaney Bramlett (69) - Delaney & Bonnie
1947-1975: Tim Buckley (28)
1942-1987: Paul Butterfield (44) - The Paul Butterfield Blues Band
1951-1997: Randy California (45) - Spirit
1936-2017: Glen Campbell (81)
1941-2010: Captain Beefheart
1923-2012: Ed Cassidy (89) - Spirit
1942-1981: Harry Chapin (38)
1943-1989: John Cipollina (45) - Quicksilver Messenger Service
1944-1991: Gene Clark (46) - The Byrds
1946-1993: Michael Clarke (47) - The Byrds
1942-1972: Brian Cole (29) - The Association
1944-2021: Commander Cody (77) - Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen
1931-1964: Sam Cooke (33)
1941-2023: David Crosby (81) - Crosby, Stills & Nash; The Byrds
1937-2019: Dick Dale (81)
1943-1999: Rick Danko (55) - The Band
1936-1973: Bobby Darin (37)
1944-2020: Chris Darrow (75) Kaleidoscope; Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
1945-2009: John Dawson (64) - New Riders of the Purple Sage
1937-2012: Doug Dillard (75) - The Dillards
1940-2007: Denny Doherty (66) - The Mamas & the Papas
1941-2019: Dr. John (77)
1942-2019: Daryl Dragon (78) - Captain & Tennille
1938-2005: Spencer Dryden (66) - Jefferson Airplane; New Riders of the Purple Sage
1941-1974: Mama Cass Elliot (32) - The Mamas & the Papas
1923-2006: Ahmet Ertegun (83)
1947-2012: Chris Ethridge (65) - International Submarine Band; Flying Burrito Brothers
1951-2007: Dan Fogelberg (56)
1941-1990: Tom Fogerty (48) - Creedence Clearwater Revival
1939-2015: Kim Fowley (75)
1948-2016: Glenn Frey (67) - The Eagles
1942-1995: Jerry Garcia (53) - Grateful Dead
1945-1979: Lowell George (34) - Little Feat
1939-2014: Gerry Goffin (75)
1931-1991: Bill Graham (60)
1941-1980: Tim Hardin (39)
1943-2001: George Harrison (58) - The Beatles
1940-2012: Levon Helm (71) - The Band
1942-1970: Jimi Hendrix (27) - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
1936-2022: Judy Henske (85)
1943-1981: Bob Hite (38) - Canned Heat
1945-2012: Davy Jones (66) - The Monkees
1943-1970: Janis Joplin (27) - Big Brother & the Holding Company
1941-2016: Paul Kantner (74) - Jefferson Airplane; Jefferson Starship
1940-2009: Larry Knechtel (69) - Bread
1929-1999: Curtis Knight (70)
1952-1997: Nicolette Larson (45)
1945-2006: Arthur Lee (61) - Love
1940-1980: John Lennon (40) - The Beatles
1943-2006: Dennis Linde (63)
1943-1986: Richard Manuel (42) - The Band
1939-2013: Ray Manzarek (74) - The Doors 
1940-2009: Dewey Martin (68) - Buffalo Springfield
1939-2012: Scott McKenzie (73)
1942-2004: Terry Melcher (62)
1947-2008: Buddy Miles (60)
1946-2008: Mitch Mitchell (62) - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
1943-1971: Jim Morrison (27) - The Doors
1936-2001: Fred Neil (65)
1942-2021: Michael Nesmith (78) - The Monkees
1947-2017: Penny Nichols (69)
1941-1994: Harry Nilsson (52)
1937-2000: Jack Nitzche (63)
1940-1976: Phil Ochs (35)
1927-2022: Mo Ostin (95)
1946-2004: Bruce Palmer (58) - Buffalo Sprngfield
1946-1973: Gram Parsons (26) - International Submarine Band; The Byrds; Flying Burrito Brothers
1950-2011: Dan Peek (60) - America
1935-2001: John Phillips (65) - The Mamas & the Papas
1942-2014: Larry Ramos (72) - The Association
1933-2006: Lou Rawls (72)
1945-2003: Noel Redding (57) - Fat Mattress; The Jimi Hendrix Experience
1941-1967: Otis Redding (26)
1941-2020: Helen Reddy (78)
1947-1979: Minnie Riperton (31) - Rotary Connection
1943-2019: Elliot Roberts (76)
1945-1988: Barbara Robison (42) - Peanut Butter Conspiracy
1949-2014: Rick Rosas (65)
1920-2012: Ravi Shankar (92)
1944-1979: Judee Sill (35)
1945-2015: P.F. Sloan (70)
1939-2021: Phil Spector (81)
1946-1999: Skip Spence (52) - Moby Grape
1939-2008: John Stewart (68)
1948-2015: Dallas Taylor (66)
1939-2022: R. Dean Taylor (82)
1942-2019: Peter Tork (77) - The Monkees
1933-2001: Ronald Townson (68) - The 5th Dimension
1938-1990: Gary Usher (51)
1937-1994: Dino Valente (57) - Quicksilver Messenger Service
1945-2012: Bob Welch (66) - Fleetwood Mac
1941-2015: Cory Wells (74) - Three Dog Night
1944-1973: Clarence White (29) - The Byrds
1943-1972: Danny Whitten (29) - Crazy Horse
1943-1970: Alan 'Blind Owl' Wilson (27) - Canned Heat
1946-1998: Carl Wilson (51) - The Beach Boys
1944-1983: Dennis Wilson (39) - The Beach Boys
1944-2014: Bobby Womack (70)
1944-2002: Zal Yanovsky (57) - The Lovin' Spoonful
1946-2021: Rusty Young (75) - Poco
1944-1997: Townes Van Zandt (52)
1940-1993: Frank Zappa (52) - The Mothers of Invention
1947-2003: Warren Zevon (56)

Work in progress.....

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 03 2023 at 13:08
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2023 at 09:49
 A-Z of Laurel Canyon Artists

THE 5th DIMENSION     This is the dawning of the Age of Aquarius and it's Up, Up and Away for the first band in our stroll down Laurel Canyon Boulevard, so Let the Sunshine In for the lovely Soul-Pop of Marilyn McCoo, Florence LaRue, Billy Davis, Jr., Ronald Townson & Lamonte McLemore, Individually & Collectively known as the 5th Dimension. Heart

4 stars 1968: The 5th Dimension - Stoned Soul Picnic - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lYuZfACVdOXTTBTbMdgZcT0bB9yWsonq4
 4 stars 1969: The 5th Dimension - The Age of Aquarius - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lFx1yzwB2YskPWcm8GdBtMpiq9WElozcM
 4 stars 1971: The 5th Dimension - Loves, Lines, Angles & Rhymes - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_new96cIb9yZMpsVKLg4tQ1JQ6ZLvgwY0s
 4 stars 1972: The 5th Dimension - Individually & Collectively - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nmJXkwRxwK1Fsb2ve51sMw94T0Czjws5o
 3 stars 1973: The 5th Dimension - Living Together, Growing Together - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nRUXOKmjKfNu9QE6fuWtEp9gjbHHpR0ZI
 4 stars 1974: The 5th Dimension - Soul & Inspiration - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoNvCAQ0f_3DLVenBZYAIfN-WHjcbrW7J
 3 stars 1978: The 5th Dimension - Star Dancing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W99ZKQBY0P0
 3 stars 1979: The 5th Dimension - High On Sunshine - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgR0UFxvNtM
 3 stars 1995: The 5th Dimension - In the House
 5 stars 1999: The 5th Dimension - The Very Best of the 5th Dimension - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mvVvaIkD7DrNVbg-OBgYeQQFZJrogbAR4

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 21 2023 at 10:45
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2023 at 16:19
A-Z of Laurel Canyon Artists  (400+ artists; 4000+ albums)

4 stars 1968: Afterglow - Afterglow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpXcdOjl35k

3 stars 1975: Karen Alexander - Isn't It Always Love - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl8Kfvrg5tk
 3 stars 1978: Karen Alexander - Voyager

4 stars 1977: Gregg Allman Band - Playin' Up a Storm - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_k3Rg46fAvhWRUTTPMnqO8wRg5BtO94yZQ
 4 stars 1977: Gregg Allman & Cher - Allman & Woman: Two the Hard Way - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhS4kbJVnTw 
 4 stars 1988: Gregg Allman Band - Just Before the Bullets Fly - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz6cAheObZch1vs01bFYlqnvt9NBYIRwH
 4 stars 1997: Gregg Allman - One More Try: An Anthology - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtsnk7TmNySPVsiqi9sQKF-soWW6aTqaA
 4 stars 1997: Gregg Allman - Searching for Simplicity - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lwnyywe6Q6k482eWt7nJUSOlZrXFB0uPw
 4 stars 2015: Gregg Allman - Live: Back in Macon, GA - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kNN_j8Vrs-kC_6S_53Au3ITeaqlxSmREk

4 stars 1976: Herb Alpert - Just You and Me - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL68B84665ABEC44F7
 4 stars 1977: Herb Alpert & Hugh Masekela - Herb Alpert & Hugh Masekela - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lfipwrf0OuzUB1C2k95VsYtdCA4VHL1vI
 4 stars 1978: Herb Alpert & Hugh Masekela - Main Event Live - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_k27IRfoGhB2KdSyYvgYaOQbPrIfd2akRA
 4 stars 1985: Herb Alpert - Wild Romance - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABikMY9Y5eg
 4 stars 1988: Herb Alpert - Under a Spanish Moon - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY0Ku73Aguc
 4 stars 1989: Herb Alpert - My Abstract Heart - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL390A5217B6236341
 4 stars 1996: Herb Alpert - Second Wind - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUfqL2I3n_k
 4 stars 1999: Herb Alpert - Colors 
 4 stars 2011: Herb Alpert & Lani Hall - I Feel You - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi7ZNP8laAc
 4 stars 2013: Herb Alpert & Lani Hall - Steppin' Out - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nTiufVAcMwNFx95N9t9kDHgM9juofA_RI
 4 stars 2015: Herb Alpert - Come Fly with Me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rTjmsnbTTM
 4 stars 2017: Herb Alpert - Music Volume 1
 4 stars 2018: Herb Alpert - Music Volume 3: Herb Alpert Reimagines the Tijuana Brass - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_l_b_enl-8OwJxXDI9GtTyXEtjiprlsZiA

4 stars 1968: The American Revolution - The American Revolution - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lBKNLFMg4iLio8veh0LQuHYK-lMjxRuQ0

4 stars 1968: The Animated Egg - The Animated Egg - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGwDgf-zOdicxnSIEygNqXOQ_eovAe9ZM

4 stars 1966: The Association - And Then... Along Comes the Association - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nmBNR6fQoplGIYnYznBANlgKv5KOcrxd0
 4 stars 1969: The Association - Goodbye Columbus (soundtrack) - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_n5fIFH9LunO4iy0eL-heymkx8XdszZ7kc
 3 stars 1972: The Association - Waterbeds in Trinidad - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lWpJAtUwl0vwj6QWsSwe_Ry4hYrr1avzQ

4 stars 1968: The Astral Projection - The Astral Scene - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C3PqGWnSz0

3 stars 1968: The Asylum Choir - Look Inside the Asylum Choir - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUlwt0uIOigf4GMme4gErK-H4ni8ofuOe
 3 stars 1971: The Asylum Choir - Asylum Choir II - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz6cAheObZcglXI7Dlfq7mDuzN1HlxvIb

4 stars 1970: David Axelrod - Pride - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YipIAI3AkXM
 4 stars 1972: David Axelrod - The Auction
 4 stars 1977: David Axelrod - Strange Ladies - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFUt3J9vtxo
 4 stars 1980: David Axelrod - Marchin' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyp1W2r92xE
 3 stars 1993: David Axelrod - Requiem: The Holocaust - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mckx2cNpDMBlyiQGt5TF3Qp18fNL_f6x8
 3 stars 1995: David Axelrod - The Big Country - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKz7557iWbw 
 5 stars 2004: David Axelrod - Live at Royal Festival Hall - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nnVehDxCiDNFEw3uNHGF9EbSMVNns7M2w
 5 stars 2005: David Axelrod - The Edge: David Axelrod at Capitol Records 1966-1970 - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lBpgPsCCeUnHWdEXqYhc8ElyQBuOuWI2E

3 stars 1963: Hoyt Axton - Greenback Dollar - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL8xJXxJ7Rw
 3 stars 1965: Hoyt Axton - Hoyt Axton Sings Bessie Smith - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kaW8JK2PI6GbBoScwc_HhT4owDKwosNkA
 3 stars 1980: Hoyt Axton - Where Did the Money Go - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i39lTPiBDYI

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - May 14 2024 at 07:55
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2023 at 08:24

DAVID ACKLES    An unknown legend to many of us here I'm sure, but if you're a fan of the unsung genius of singer-songwriter/pianist David Ackles, then you're in good company, as Elvis Costello, Elton John & Phil Collins have all declared themselves fans of his too. David Ackles was originally from Rock Island, Illinois. He moved to the Laurel Canyon community of Southern California in the mid sixties and signed up with Jac Holzman's Electra Records where he recorded three albums. David Ackles never managed to gain commercial success during his brief time in the spotlight and he hardly ever performed live. After recording one last album with Columbia Records in 1973 he disappeared from the music business altogether into a lifetime of obscurity. The stuff of which legends are made..... David Ackles - 1937-1999 Broken Heart

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2023 at 06:47

GREGG ALLMAN    The leader of the Allman Brothers Band alongside his brother Duane Allman (1946-1971) who tragically ascended the Highway to Heaven on his motorcycle at the tender age of 24. Gregg Allman (1947-2017) was a Southern Man from the country music capital of Nashville, Tennessee. Gregg and brother Duane were drawn like moths to a flame towards L.A's free-loving Laurel Canyon community in the late 60's where they formed the short-lived band, Hour Glass. The brothers moved again to Jacksonville, Florida, where Southern Rock legends, the Allman Brothers Band, were born at the tail end of the sixties. The sylvan retreat of Laurel Canyon soon beckoned again and Gregg returned to the leafy boulevard of dreams - away from the hurly-burly of rock stardom - where the sweet summer breeze blows through the jasmine of the mind. Gregg married Cher there in 1975 - his third of seven wives - and their tempestuous marriage lasted just long enough for them to record an album together: the aptly-titled, Allman & Woman. Smile

4 stars 1977: Gregg Allman Band - Playin' Up a Storm - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_k3Rg46fAvhWRUTTPMnqO8wRg5BtO94yZQ
 4 stars 1977: Gregg Allman & Cher - Allman & Woman: Two the Hard Way - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhS4kbJVnTw 
 4 stars 1988: Gregg Allman Band - Just Before the Bullets Fly - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz6cAheObZch1vs01bFYlqnvt9NBYIRwH
 4 stars 1997: Gregg Allman - One More Try: An Anthology - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtsnk7TmNySPVsiqi9sQKF-soWW6aTqaA
 4 stars 1997: Gregg Allman - Searching for Simplicity - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lwnyywe6Q6k482eWt7nJUSOlZrXFB0uPw
 4 stars 2015: Gregg Allman - Live: Back in Macon, GA - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kNN_j8Vrs-kC_6S_53Au3ITeaqlxSmREk

4 stars 1969: The Allman Brothers Band - The Allman Brothers Band - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH7JQxOxEQg
 4 stars 1970: The Allman Brothers Band - Idlewild South - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7do0xV7T4U
 5 stars 1971: The Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0T4JDLN5mI
 4 stars 1972: The Allman Brothers Band - Eat a Peach - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO00NGenqrY
 4 stars 1973: The Allman Brothers Band - Brothers and Sisters - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X8xeKF0CDU
 3 stars 1975: The Allman Brothers Band - Win, Lose or Draw - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz6cAheObZcjw3-CZmWdJZVVlPOv0sPLr
 5 stars 1976: The Allman Brothers Band - Wipe the Windows, Check the Oil, Dollar Gas - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzKFxVkdVd26e6NTm-qSE1RMgUOFg2rfB
 4 stars 1979: The Allman Brothers Band - Enlightened Rogues - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_k2xWmhj0Io_JlHtQ2pTmQmAxaL7oiqIYY
 3 stars 1980: The Allman Brothers Band - Reach for the Sky - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nDh6f5N-afBddppys_q0VbdbYB2KWsuYI
 4 stars 1981: The Allman Brothers Band - Brothers of the Road - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kjRJPlZVma5CsFMC0ZD4gdgfm3IKI29Bs
 4 stars 1990: The Allman Brothers Band - Seven Turns - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mctMkeZAOpMsU4u1GvqsgfURsjKH8d7qk
 4 stars 1991: The Allman Brothers Band - Shades of Two Worlds - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_k-KxIckY9gJUGupv-JUvd_BPuTzhq6R5g
 5 stars 1992: The Allman Brothers Band - An Evening with the Allman Brothers Band: First Set - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kYCn2VrUQgZPYXRYa3C2VpQRlQehBaSu0
 4 stars 1994: The Allman Brothers Band - Where It All Begins - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lVqKxQWAn3pS2aKDqZqE5irsSBGgPtQwY
 5 stars 1995: The Allman Brothers Band - An Evening with the Allman Brothers Band: Second Set - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1Su9AP0tObfwY0rX1-lPaX2idpMbxate
 4 stars 2000: The Allman Brothers Band - Peakin' at the Beacon - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lGDVmspgjiizYBG8MB1SO7kdSK9a0X51w
 4 stars 2003: The Allman Brothers Band - Hittin' the Note - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_k4Lclcl575cylPjb7-2-jbd8IodQhufKs
 4 stars 2004: The Allman Brothers Band - One Way Out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4HSDU_pEws

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 04 2023 at 10:46
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2023 at 03:45
MONTEREY POP     A documentary concert film of the legendary Monterey Pop Festival in 1967, filmed by D.A. Pennebaker. Featured artists in order of appearance:- Scott McKenzie; The Mamas & the Papas; Canned Heat; Simon & Garfunkel; Hugh Masekela; Jefferson Airplane; Big Brother and the Holding Company; Eric Burdon and the Animals; The Who; Country Joe and the Fish; Otis Redding with Booker T. & the M.G.'s; The Jimi Hendrix Experience; The Mamas & the Papas; & Ravi Shankar. Monterey Pop was one of the big three music festivals of the late-1960's, with Monterey being the wedding; Woodstock the divorce; and Altamont the funeral. Ouch 

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 20 2023 at 06:34
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2023 at 17:12
LAUREL CANYON    A nine-episode mini-series presented in fifteen parts (well, it is psychedelic). Laurel Canyon takes you on a journey thru' history and song 1965-1974, exploring the inner workings of the burgeoning music scene that exploded out of this area north of Hollywood in the mid-1960's. Featured legendary musicians and groups include:- The Byrds; The Mamas and the Papas; Buffalo Springfield; CSNY; The Doors; Frank Zappa; Carole King; The Eagles; Gram Parsons; Love; Jackson Browne; the Monkees and Canadians Neil Young & Joni Mitchell, plus music industry giants such as David Geffen; Elliot Mintz; Jim Ladd; Ron Stone; & Paul Rothchild. You'll see the famous Canyon Country Store; Love Street; the Tom Mix cabin; the Houdini Estate, and all of the other places made famous by the likes of Jim Morrison, Cass Elliot, John Lennon and many others. The series also touches on some of the darker elements that were lurking within the shadows such as the murderous Manson Family and the inevitable evils of heroin and cocaine that crept into the scene, causing havoc and destruction. There's always something new to learn and discover about the music coming out of Laurel Canyon. The stories are endless and sometimes surprising and even downright shocking, but always entertaining. Smile 

Laurel Canyon Episode 1: California Dreaming - http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh4DUhhXfvM
Laurel Canyon Episode 2: Love Street - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvdu40B7cRc
Laurel Canyon Episode 3: The Kirkwood Bowl, Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPSgUB1PHY0
Laurel Canyon Episode 3: The Kirkwood Bowl, Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVSdJdhHWzk
Laurel Canyon Episode 4: So You Want to Be a Rock 'n' Roll Star - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlBWTaNP5pM
Laurel Canyon Episode 5: People Are Strange - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b78BOkfpLYs
Laurel Canyon Episode 6: Our House, Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jInTyokshjE
Laurel Canyon Episode 6: Our House, Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbYmUstyiX4
Laurel Canyon Episode 6: The Frank Zappa Conclusion - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZBe9wIPuFU 
Laurel Canyon Episode 7: This is The End, Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22EhY8AAeRU
Laurel Canyon Episode 7: This is The End, Part 2: Malice in Wonderland - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc3INBRX9Bs
Laurel Canyon Episode 8: Outtakes/Analysis, Part 1: Jim Morrison - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZfYMGOXxa8
Laurel Canyon Episode 8: Outtakes/Analysis, Part 2: Cass Elliot / Manson Murders - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVEYDrcKvfQ
Laurel Canyon Episode 8: Part 3: The Many Motives of Mr. Manson - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geBH7Db4In4
Laurel Canyon Episode 9: Outtakes/Analysis: Abigail's Story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFLubLLeuUU
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>