FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A.I. and Prog???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A.I. and Prog???
    Posted: July 21 2023 at 13:44
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Go, Joe! Clap
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2023 at 13:42

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2023 at 07:39
I've enjoyed the track (especially vocal) remover/isolator. I'm a musician. I play real instruments, but I can't stand my voice, can't find musicians, and I've thought about using AI instead, but have looked for some of my favorite singers singing my favorite songs by other bands as long as it matched.

Edited by MortSahlFan - July 05 2023 at 07:40
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
UnderGround View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UnderGround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2023 at 05:31
Originally posted by Dapper~Blueberries Dapper~Blueberries wrote:

I've seen some interesting artwork generated using AI tools, is anyone using A.I. to compose prog music?  

I rather listen to Love Beach a thousand and one times before I will say anything good about AI art.

LOL
https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com/album/zantea-chronicles-the-dream-dominator
Dapper~Blueberries View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dapper~Blueberries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2023 at 14:52

I've seen some interesting artwork generated using AI tools, is anyone using A.I. to compose prog music?  

I think someone using Ai to compose prog would be the worst thing ever. I love music and art when it has a human component in it. Even when it is bad, I can still at least respect it. AI art and music are not human, and thus I feel nothing but discontent towards (also because a lot of AI art uses art from people on the internet which is basically just stealing so that is also a net negative for AI art)

I rather listen to Love Beach a thousand and one times before I will say anything good about AI art.
D~B
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2023 at 07:34
We have to be careful with using the term AI. Nowadays it is becoming used for anything which is actually nothing more than a set of complex algorithms, for example I read about TV manufacturers saying that "the image is improved by AI", and I think that's rather BS.

True AI is that which can learn more and more by itself. As long as you keep providing it more and more data it will learn and develop further by itself.

Edited by Gerinski - July 04 2023 at 23:51
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UnderGround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2023 at 01:13
In the end, and this is the most scary, it will be very difficult to believe any musician about the originality of his/her work...
It must have been written by the musician or will have used A.I.?
https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com/album/zantea-chronicles-the-dream-dominator
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2023 at 00:52
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UnderGround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2023 at 23:36

Musical tools like Mellotron were once feared and reviled by traditional orchestra musicians, who saw the device as a threat.  Bah.  If anything, classical music is more popular and accepted now.  

Samplers and mellotron(for the musicians) its not the same threat as AI(for the most of art forms) and we will understand it better in the future...
I wish, from the bottom of my heart, i am wrong...
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2023 at 10:54
Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I thought that's what YES did for Mirror To The Sky.

Brutal!  :-)

I had the same thought and got an AI art generator to create album covers of 'man on rock outcrop on star filled night in style of Roger Dean' they weren't too bad.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2023 at 10:45
I support the use of AI in the creative process.  It is a great way to generate new ideas.  

Jimmy Page once said that he would tune his guitars to different odd tunings just to generate new musical ideas.  I've done that also.  It is very powerful.  AI is similar.

As a teacher, I haven't dealt with a tool like ChatGPT yet.  Instead of hoping my students would NOT use that platform, I would assign them to complete a paper using ChatGPT, then hand-write the answer, analyze the facts and improve it with their thinking skills.  I'll do that someday. 

Musical tools like Mellotron were once feared and reviled by traditional orchestra musicians, who saw the device as a threat.  Bah.  If anything, classical music is more popular and accepted now.  

Edited by cstack3 - July 02 2023 at 10:46
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2023 at 05:06
I did mean personality too in my thinking.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2023 at 14:21
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

Maybe AI will be able to create prog-like music - but will it have any passion?

It will but it probably won't have a personality IMHO.
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2023 at 12:24
Maybe AI will be able to create prog-like music - but will it have any passion?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UnderGround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2023 at 22:46

Musicians of the world, don't quit your day job.

Thumbs Up
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2023 at 18:24
Originally posted by UnderGround UnderGround wrote:

I used A.I. once for a couple of images for a lyric video...
That's the end for me.
I will pay a professional for Forbidden Myth's artwork for the next album and i will continue write the music and lyrics. And i will continue to collaborate with other musicians...
I believe that A.I. will destroy many of the fields of creativity and it's a shame that so many professionals will lose their jobs...

I think you are correct.  I've messed around on ChatGPT to help me write some technical articles, it is amazing how powerful it is (and it is still primitive).  

However, I still think the salvation is reasonably-priced live music.  This cannot be replaced easily with AI (they can try with recordings, holographs etc.  I don't think the public will respond to this as well as seeing a true artist making music. 

Years ago, I played as bassist to one of Bob Fripp's first Guitar Craft students, Lon Jones.  Lon just loved to play & perform, and Tulsa OK was seething with progressive artists, so I played at a number of venues, for crowds up to a thousand or more.  Never made a dime on it, didn't care.  

Musicians of the world, don't quit your day job. 

I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2023 at 06:56
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

When I was at school we had a very innovative computer class, and as a project I coded a "solo generator" that would just play random notes on a scale with random length but some side conditions respecting the rhythm and some musical "rules" that made it slightly less terrible. It didn't shake the world of music to the core to be honest, but that was in 1985 or so. With today's possibilities it should be possible to do a far better job.

A long time ago, I read something about using random noise to generate musical data. It said that a pink noise distribution is the optimum for creating interesting music. White noise creates music that is too erratic, and brown noise creates music that is too dull.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote UnderGround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2023 at 04:00
I used A.I. once for a couple of images for a lyric video...
That's the end for me.
I will pay a professional for Forbidden Myth's artwork for the next album and i will continue write the music and lyrics. And i will continue to collaborate with other musicians...
I believe that A.I. will destroy many of the fields of creativity and it's a shame that so many professionals will lose their jobs...

Edited by UnderGround - June 28 2023 at 04:00
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2023 at 10:21
Music is created in the ear of the listener.
We may have emotions when listening that have not been put into the music by the composers, and we may feel something also when listening to AI generated music.

When I was at school we had a very innovative computer class, and as a project I coded a "solo generator" that would just play random notes on a scale with random length but some side conditions respecting the rhythm and some musical "rules" that made it slightly less terrible. It didn't shake the world of music to the core to be honest, but that was in 1985 or so. With today's possibilities it should be possible to do a far better job.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2023 at 07:24
Hi,

There was, many years ago, in California, one place that had music composed artificially by a computer, and they ended up presenting it to the public and just about no one else knew the piece or who the composer was.

In the end, it wasn't until the folks found out that the music was done by a computer, that folks decided they didn't like it. The funny thing was that the music was actually very nice and very good, all things considered, but the element that hurt was the fact that we were "deceived" ... and I think that reaction naïve and very bizarre, simply because someone did not hear a few things they liked or were comfortable with.

New music, of any kind, will always be hated ... for many good reasons, but also for many wrong reasons.

I imagine the same thing will happen again .... and again ... and again .. and again.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>