FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums You've Regretted Buying but Now Enjoy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2023 at 02:01
4 stars 1977: Pink Floyd - Animals - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4KQae9oMWs

I bought the Animals album, but in a momentary lapse of reason I gave it away to a charity shop. I do have the rather large consolation of having Roger Waters' superb version of Animals (three different ones) on DVD though. Thumbs Up

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2023 at 01:49
Originally posted by Octopus II Octopus II wrote:

'Underwraps' by Jethro Tull.

I actually quite enjoy it now.

Really?? I certainly achieved the first part of the equation, but I simply can't bear it... and all the more bemusing when it's situated between Broadsword and Knave in their discography... Confused
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2023 at 01:35
'Underwraps' by Jethro Tull.

I actually quite enjoy it now.
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2023 at 19:24
One year for Christmas, I asked Santa for "Trout Mask Replica" by Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band on CD, which at the time was over $100.00. After listening to the album in its entirety, I was filled with regret. I contemplated all the other albums I could've gotten that totaled the exorbitant price of that one CD. Now, I absolutely adore "Trout Mask Replica."

Edited by Magog2112 - July 07 2023 at 19:25
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2023 at 18:50
PFM—Jet Lag. Didn't like it very much when I got it back in the day. I listened to it again in the early 2000's and found it quite interesting and enjoyable.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2023 at 18:01
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

4 stars 1972: Aphrodite's Child - 666 - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9EAiJXXtc-bdbxNvRZCRs402jnbC_bxw

I bought the "666" album, but the banshee wailing on "Infinity" scared me, ...

Do you mean the very sexy sounds? Tongue

Yes, one man's banshee wailing is another man's sexy sounds. I didn't like it, but once you've heard it, the "song" remains with you till Infinity. Tongue
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2023 at 17:39

4 stars 1972: Aphrodite's Child - 666 - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9EAiJXXtc-bdbxNvRZCRs402jnbC_bxw

I bought the "666" album, but the banshee wailing on "Infinity" scared me, ...

Do you mean the very sexy sounds? Tongue

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2023 at 16:58
While it would be FAR easier for me to name albums I liked at first and now regret ever owning, here are five that I didn't like at first but now love:

1. Moody Blues: Seventh Sojourn - At first it seemed far too quaint, pastoral and simplistic, but it's really grown on me over the years. Especially after hearing the story of dwindling inspiration (thus the desert album cover), it's now become one of my favorites.

2. Steve Hackett: Please Don't Touch - I wanted it to be like Voyage of the Acolyte, but it wasn't, so I almost dumped it. Now it's my favorite Hackett solo album.

3. Rick Wakeman: The 6 Wives of Henry VIII - "What's all the fuss about?" I wondered after first hearing it. After many years of half-hearted listening, it slowly but surely grew in significance.

4. Steve Howe: Beginnings - Like everyone else, Steve's vocals put me off at first. Still, this album is so strong instrumentally/compositionally that now they no longer bother me.

5. Barclay James Harvest: Caught in the Light - It's over 70 minutes and takes its time getting there, but it's one of their only albums where everything works. While it could stand a little editing (and I don't mean the guitar solo on "Forever Yesterday"), I'd be hard pressed to eliminate even one track. If only they had retired after this album...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2023 at 16:29

I bought the "666" album, but the banshee wailing on "Infinity" scared me, so I regrettably gave the album away, but I'd now go to the End of the World to find it again. Ouch

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2023 at 16:14

Actually, if talking about my whole life, there're more than hundred of them.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2023 at 15:51
All of them......I never liked music but now I do LOL
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2023 at 15:49

There have been not so few I had got rid of and became very fond of afterwards, for instance Nursery Cryme and Foxtrott.

Edited by David_D - July 07 2023 at 15:51
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2023 at 14:16
Henry Cow, "Western Culture". My tastes are changing and, what was once eww to my ears is now, that's pretty good!
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2023 at 10:35
I guess the most obvious one for me was ELP's Love Beach.
I can vividly remember, we were playing in Belleville and I knew it was coming out while we were there, but didn't know what it was called or anything about it other than 'New ELP'. So release day comes and I head the the record store. First shock...the cover (no D'uh), has ELP gone reggae ???  Ok, I buy my copy and head back to the bar. I ask them if I can listen to an album on their DJ system and they say sure. I put on the phones and listen through. I shook my head and put the LP back in the jacket where it probably sat for a month or more before pulling it out again. Still had an issue with side one, but Memoirs started to grow on me. These days I listen through the glaring short comings and just enjoy the parts that show there is ELP there, even if it seems they were disinterested in doing the project.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2023 at 09:46
Chocolate Kings by PFM
I think I even sold the LP.  I came back to it later on CD, and fondly remembered it.  Great record!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2023 at 07:38
I'm not sure if regret is the right word but I definitely didn't care much for these when I first heard them. 

King Crimson - Islands and ToaPP
Marillion - Clutching At Straws
Yes - Tormato ( I remember buying this on vinyl around 1986 because it was not available on cd or cassette)
Genesis - Wind And Wuthering

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 07 2023 at 11:53
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2023 at 07:37
Hi O666, welcome back. It was ages since your last post.

Back to the topic: my one is now in my top 10: Tangerine Dream's ZEIT. 
I was expecting something like The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn when I purchased it, but it was like Saucerful of Secrets instead Big smile
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2023 at 07:03
Fish - Sunset on Empire .
In first meet with this album , I faced to boring Hard Rock album that sang by my hero Fish but now I really love it. Thee are too many things that I didn't mention in this album. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2023 at 04:26

4 stars 1969: Renaissance - Renaissance - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5bzS0rC_F4

I bought Renaissance' eponymous debut in the late 1970's, expecting to hear Annie Haslam, but it didn't sound anything like the band I knew and loved, so I took it back and asked for a refund, but I Love the album now from the original Kings and Queens of Symphonic Prog. Thumbs Up

Hi,

This is the original version of the band with Jane Relf on vocals, and it is a bit more pop oriented, but still very good, specially for the time and place. The 2nd generation has Annie on vocals, and it appears that some of the players were all linked to the keyboard player John Hawken, who ended up helping Spooky Tooth and then Strawbs later. The sad note here is that John stayed with ST only for their tour as they disbanded right after the tour ... John Tout replaced him and helped establish the symphonic side of Renaissance that we know well. 

Something like that ... 

The important thing to remember here, is how (at times) we seem to be attached to sounds and things we like and something different will not take place. The original Renaissance, was quite a departure for Keith Relf and his friends. Jane Relf was his sister. We "followed" it since it was after The Yardbirds ... and of course, we were expecting some bombastic stuff, and got something else, and it wasn't until we finally heard the next generation of Renaissance (Prologue) that we realized that there was something new in the air. 

In those days, since there was no "media" to detail every detail of their personal lives, you tended to follow members of the group and where they went, to find new things ... and some worked and some were oddballs ... but some stuff ended up being really fine.

Edited by moshkito - July 07 2023 at 04:32
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2023 at 02:43
Believe me or not, even if I kept the album, I didn't like SEBTP until Trick Of The Tail happened. 

Zeit was a different story since I bought it after Ricochet & Stratosfear, expecting more of the same. I now love it.

Although I didn't like Octopus and Pawn Hearts, I never regretted buying them, because I knew there was something in there I didn't get/grasp at the time (the mid-70's), but realized I'd one day get it.
So every second year or so, I spun them to see if I dug them or not.
Turns out that for GG, it would be 15 years and for VdGG , 20 years

Edited by Sean Trane - July 08 2023 at 02:43
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>