Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums You've Regretted Buying but Now Enjoy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2023 at 01:35
'Underwraps' by Jethro Tull.

I actually quite enjoy it now.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2023 at 01:49
Originally posted by Octopus II Octopus II wrote:

Really?? I certainly achieved the first part of the equation, but I simply can't bear it... and all the more bemusing when it's situated between Broadsword and Knave in their discography... Confused
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2023 at 02:01
4 stars 1977: Pink Floyd - Animals - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4KQae9oMWs

I bought the Animals album, but in a momentary lapse of reason I gave it away to a charity shop. I do have the rather large consolation of having Roger Waters' superb version of Animals (three different ones) on DVD though. Thumbs Up

Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2023 at 02:05
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Really?? I certainly achieved the first part of the equation, but I simply can't bear it... and all the more bemusing when it's situated between Broadsword and Knave in their discography... Confused

Apparently it's going to be remixed using a real drummer for reissue in the next Jethro Tull/Steven Wilson 'book' edition series. Smile
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2023 at 02:18

Apparently it's going to be remixed using a real drummer for reissue in the next Jethro Tull/Steven Wilson 'book' edition series. Smile

and I sincerely wish all those who purchase it, every happiness...

I've just had a look and after over 1000 ratings for this site, I have only given a '1' star on 8 occasions (I really hate doing it, to be fair).... and I'm afraid, this is one of the 8.... Embarrassed
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2023 at 03:49
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

4 stars 1972: Aphrodite's Child - 666 - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9EAiJXXtc-bdbxNvRZCRs402jnbC_bxw 

I bought the "666" album, but the banshee wailing on "Infinity" scared me, ...
Do you mean the very sexy sounds? Tongue
Yes, one man's banshee wailing is another man's sexy sounds. I didn't like it, but once you've heard it, the "song" remains with you till Infinity. Tongue

And we're talking about sounds from nobody less than Irene Papas which imo doesn't make it less remarkable. Smile

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2023 at 04:17

4 stars 1972: Aphrodite's Child - 666 - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9EAiJXXtc-bdbxNvRZCRs402jnbC_bxw 

I bought the "666" album, but the banshee wailing on "Infinity" scared me, ...
Do you mean the very sexy sounds? Tongue
Yes, one man's banshee wailing is another man's sexy sounds. I didn't like it, but once you've heard it, the "song" remains with you till Infinity. Tongue

And we're talking about sounds from nobody less than Irene Papas which imo doesn't make it less remarkable. Smile

I do love Irene Papas on Vangelis' Rapsodies album though, so that kind of makes up for it. Smile
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2023 at 06:19
Hi,

I can't say that I got something that I didn't like and then started to like it ... though this had happened in my first listening to TD's Phaedra, but that is about the only one, and it wasn't bought, it was an evening in the apartment when Guy Guden played TD, Nektar and Genesis to me for the first time in 1972.

All in all, with Guy's show on the horizon, and picking up a lot of used LP's, I was able to be selective and find the stuff I wanted, and since 1972 and the Hipgnosis Ingredients on the Cereal Box, I rarely bought anything that .. I did not like or had a poor reaction to ... there was so much to get, that getting the wrong one, I would suggest that we were not listening anymore, and were expecting something we did not get ... but by that time I had already had a lot of Frank Zappa, and different, far out and weird stuff did not scare me anymore, and 200 Motels, still is, by very far, one of the best things he ever did! And check out the version at UCLA later that Gayle was able to get done ... it was even better and that choir went out of the way to love it and then some ... absolutely magnificent and you couldn't ask for more!

I don't buy by "preference", meaning that it is a sound, or something that I like ... and then find that it is not what I wanted ... since I had been already into artistic scenes via literature, the arts and film, rock music was bizarre, by rejecting so much art, after the psychedelic days ... thus my tastes were normally OK ... perfect example is Canterbury ... started with Caravan (For girls ... ) and never stopped and I had not even heard GONG then! All of it was fantastic, and you could not buy a bad album ... and I certainly was not interested in those cheap pistols.

Edited by moshkito - July 08 2023 at 06:19
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2023 at 06:31
IQ - Subterranea

I got into them in the Menel era and knew nothing about the first incarnation. With no internet I missed Ever, then saw an advert in The Independent for Subby, so bought it. It took me ages to appreciate it - who was this awful new singer?!!🤣

Edited by essexboyinwales - July 08 2023 at 06:31
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2023 at 07:37
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Hi O666, welcome back. It was ages since your last post.

Back to the topic: my one is now in my top 10: Tangerine Dream's ZEIT. 
I was expecting something like The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn when I purchased it, but it was like Saucerful of Secrets instead Big smile

Hi octopus-4 . 
I really wondered that you remember me! Thank you .
 I really "Love" ZEIT and completely agreed.

O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote O666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2023 at 07:39

I bought the "666" album, but the banshee wailing on "Infinity" scared me, so I regrettably gave the album away, but I'd now go to the End of the World to find it again. Ouch

Its a great album . "666"
Greenmist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2023 at 07:53
Only one i can think of is Wings of Heaven by Magnum

I had it on CD for a fair while, but hadnt listened to it in years, i remembered it being an album that wasnt very AOR, but i was wrong.

Fast forward to 2020, i found it on vinyl 2nd hand cheap, i bought it to sell on for profit, i proof listened to the record to make sure it had no skips or repeats in, then thought to myself "not AOR??, it very much is AOR, why did i remember wrongly?", then ended up buying it back on CD lol, i really love the song Wild Swan.
fredyair View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredyair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2023 at 08:34
I loved Heavy Weather by Weather Report so I dive directly into their music by buying I sing the body electric, well, to this day I regret it, same with Fandangos in Space by Carmen. I know, not the spirit of this thread but I guess after 50 years of regret I needed to vent some steam...
Long live Progresive music!
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2023 at 08:52
I have been racking my brains trying to think of a single album I have purchased and initially hated, which I have, over a period of time, come to love.... and I'm really struggling to find a good example.

I can think of quite a number I've not liked and sold on again and others I have thought were reasonably good, but grew on me significantly over time, but none have gone from one side of the spectrum to the other...

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2023 at 11:25
Originally posted by fredyair fredyair wrote:

I loved Heavy Weather by Weather Report so I dive directly into their music by buying I sing the body electric, well, to this day I regret it, same with Fandangos in Space by Carmen. I know, not the spirit of this thread but I guess after 50 years of regret I needed to vent some steam...

I had such a different experience than you with Weather Report. I first heard Heavy Weather but it did not appeal. Later I heard I Sing the Body Electric and loved it. That and the self-tiled debut are the WR albums that I care about. And I have like that Carmen.

My choice is Mr. Bungle, or as I called it Mr. Bunghole. I got Disco Volante twenty years ago, and it did not appeal. I now really like it. It was with California, that is still my fave Bungle, that it clicked. One purchase that might now appeal that I rather had regretted is Thinking Plague’s In Extremis, my first TP. TP here means toilet paper, which comes in handy for Mr. Bungh.... But I did then get the earlier albums and loved those. And I like later TP, so I should return to In Extremis. I did buy some albums back then that will never be for me, but that I have expressed before in more than one topic (hint, A Spock’s Beard, Transatlantic and three “lesser” Gentle Giant albums. I was not careful with spending back then.

LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2023 at 12:44
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

IQ - The Wake. Way back in the 80's I heard this band on the radio and it sounded interesting. Then I got the album and it felt like amateur hour compared to the best prog I was used to hearing (ELP, Yes etc). About a year later I started giving it a chance and now they are one of my fave bands. I have to say they have become a lot more polished since those early punkish days!

I bought The Wake, in the early 90s, on the strength of a review in The Organ fanzine, a heavily Cardiacs influenced fanzine and very much the home of crusty,festy,pronky,psych bands. Loved the DIY sound of The Wake from first listen. On the strength of other reviews by Marina or Sean, who run (ran?) The Organ, I also bought the first Arena album (CD), Arkana by Asgard (CD), Nucleus by Anekdoten (CD), a double Isildurs Bane album (CD), the first Porcupine Tree album (LP), several Posioned Electrick Head albums on LP, Sidi Bou Said CDs, and much more all thanks to The Organ.  

Regrets? The one and only Flower Kings CD I bought.         
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2023 at 10:17
First Album I bought without hearing.... Yes - Tales from Topographic Oceans. 

I now love it, as it is now my favorite Yes album
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2023 at 13:59
I tend not to regret getting albums that don't really appeal to me. However, there was one album that made me feel cheated after having bought it unheard: Philip Glass - Music With Changing Parts. However, a recent listen actually had some appeal, though it still didn't get on my frequent play list.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2023 at 14:41
Not progressive rock but in early 1992,  I was exposed to a snippet of Skyclad at the YMCA at Chelmsford as they were going to be the band playing there the following weekend.  I popped into Our Price at the earliest opportunity to buy it.  When I played it, I thought I may have made a terrible mistake as the first three tracks are just rubbish thrash metal.   But the fourth track, 'The Widdershin Jig'  is excellent.    
I still think the first three tracks are rubbish, but I am glad I bought it as the 4th track and the last two tracks are excellent.  
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2023 at 15:21
Altar by Sunn O))) and Boris

Boris may be my favorite artist in the world right now, but I f**king hate Sunn O))). I did not know I hated Sunn O))) until I got this album. I didn't like the album at first because of that.

It's grown on me tremendously, though, and I consider more one of the best done metal albums ever made.

I still hate Sunn O))), but the Boris here balances them out.

Edited by bardberic - July 21 2023 at 15:24
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>