Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gilmour dies 1973 - who will follow him

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jarvig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gilmour dies 1973 - who will follow him
    Posted: July 12 2023 at 05:43

So I have an impossible situation to solve: What would happen to Pink Floyd if Gilmour died in 1973, just as PF enters the studio to what in our universe will be DSotM? For me, Gilmour is so much a fundamental part of PF that I can’t grasp what they would sound like if Gilmour wasn’t there from 1973.

Rules for the game:

1. We say that David Gilmour dies in 1973.
  2. PF wants to continue and they want to make many good albums in the future.
  3. No matter who you ask, they will leave what they are doing now if asked to join PF.
  4. The guitarist you ask comes with “what they do” around that time - not maybe how they sound today.

I think that is really hard.

My picks:

1. Andrew Latimer (Camel): I would go with him.
  2. Don Felder/Joe Walsh (Eagles): There is something to work with here. Not perfect in any way, but could work.
  3. Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin): Crazy sh*t, but in some weird way that could work.

Jeff Beck would be my first choice. But that is how he is playing from the 80s and forward. The fusion thing he was in around early 70s would be a disaster for PF. Absolutely no Clapton. He is good, but there are zero PF vibes in him.

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2023 at 05:47
Phil Manzenera, who is David's choice for guitar in his own band and a very similar guitar player as well.
EDIT: For PF pre-1973, Steve Hillage.

Edited by Easy Money - July 12 2023 at 06:08
Jarvig View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jarvig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2023 at 05:49
Good pic. Didnt think about him. But yeah, that could work.
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2023 at 06:04
Tim Renwick of Quiver / Sutherland Brothers & Quiver springs to mind, who became a regular hired hand for PF in the Gilmour lead latter years.

When they were originally looking for a replacement for Syd they did briefly consider Jeff Beck... tho IMO his style would have been totally wrong for the PF sound.

Edited by Progishness - July 12 2023 at 06:04
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2023 at 06:33
Hi,

More than likely Chris Spedding. Tim Renwick also a good choice all, of them "friends" and showing up together in a lot of places.

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2023 at 06:57
I was going to go Dave Kilminster but he would have been 11 years old at the time so maybe a tad young.

Someone who actually played in Floyd very briefly is a certain David O'List. I've even met him and he's a nice guy.

His brief outings in various bands include Floyd, Roxy Music and Tull but probably most known for playing alongside Keith Emerson in the Nice.

Per Wiki:

While with The Nice, O'List briefly substituted for Syd Barrett in Pink Floyd in 1967.[6] "That was incredible," he recalled fifty years later. "It felt like a dream because it was on Floyd's package tour with Jimi Hendrix. I knew Floyd's music really well – so, when they asked me to play with them, it was quite easy." Asked if the Floyd considered him as a permanent replacement for Barrett, he said: "Apparently they gave it some thought. They certainly came to see me play live a few times, but I was only nineteen and still quite green in the business. I should have pushed myself more."[7]
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2023 at 06:59
^ Good shout for David O'List.

MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2023 at 07:07
Roger Hodgson - guitar player with similar style, and could sing any register. And remember, this is after Supertramp's 2nd reformation before "Crime of the Century"

4:38

David Gilmour "replaced" Roger Hodgson and played the solo on "Brother Where You Bound?" when he went solo.

https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2023 at 07:14
What a disturbing premise... Shocked
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2023 at 08:32
From a "wise after the event" perspective, I'd say Snowy White
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2023 at 08:35
^Another good shout IMO.

Let's turn this sideways and promote Roger Waters to lead guitar... then who do we draft in as a replacement bass player?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2023 at 08:53
Promoting Roger would have been (or it was?) a serious mistake, but in that unfortunate case, I'd bring in Doug Ferguson, from Camel.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2023 at 11:55
Originally posted by Heart of the Matter Heart of the Matter wrote:

From a "wise after the event" perspective, I'd say Snowy White

Hi,

Specially as he also was a part of the tours for many years going back as far as 1977, it looks like. 

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2023 at 14:52
If David died in 1973, DSOTM would still have featured his guitar because it was recorded between May of 1972 and February 1973. I hate to be a pain in the ass, but it is what it is. 

Having said that, if David had died in 1971 (DSOTM was first performed live in early 1972), I think any guitarist the band might have added would have changed the band's sound rather significantly. DSOTM, if it had materialized without David, would be guitar-wise different and compositionally different. 

The next thing to consider is who was available in 1971? This I cannot answer without a lot of research. But since this thread isn't really that serious, I'm going to assume the universe fell out of sync and in order for it to be balanced, Jimi Hendrix never died and David took his place. Hendrix joined PF in the summer of 1971. If anyone wants to take this timeline further, you're more than welcome to speculate at your leisure.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2023 at 15:02
Robin Trower? He was just about to record Bridge of Sighs.. Another Strat-meister with a bluesy lilt.. maybe a bit too bluesy and he liked a bit of boogie too.. Nice guitar sound with similarities..

I also thought of John Lees of BJH; they were just being dropped by Harvest at that time and the band could have folded before Polydor picked them up. If you listen to the 'Live' double (74) you can hear what he's capable of as a guitarist. But him and Waters working together?? i dont think so...

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2023 at 15:30
"Gilmour Dies" is enough to stop many a rock fan's heart --

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2023 at 15:50
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

If David died in 1973, DSOTM would still have featured his guitar because it was recorded between May of 1972 and February 1973. I hate to be a pain in the ass, but it is what it is. 

Having said that, if David had died in 1971 (DSOTM was first performed live in early 1972), I think any guitarist the band might have added would have changed the band's sound rather significantly. DSOTM, if it had materialized without David, would be guitar-wise different and compositionally different. 

The next thing to consider is who was available in 1971? This I cannot answer without a lot of research. But since this thread isn't really that serious, I'm going to assume the universe fell out of sync and in order for it to be balanced, Jimi Hendrix never died and David took his place. Hendrix joined PF in the summer of 1971. If anyone wants to take this timeline further, you're more than welcome to speculate at your leisure.

But you forget that Hendrix, Emerson, Lake and Palmer were formed in early 1971. Hendrix's solo on Battlefield shakes the world but in addition to the benchmark setting prog suite of Tarkus there is that amazing jass fusion track on Side Two. The album then stays in the charts for 10 years and is widely acclaimed as the greatest rock album ever.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2023 at 16:20
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

"Gilmour Dies" is enough to stop many a rock fan's heart --

"What if Gilmour had quitted 1973", less dramatic, but more or less the same premise.

Edited by Heart of the Matter - July 12 2023 at 16:22
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2023 at 17:18
Yeah I get that's the topic -
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
barbera View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2023 at 03:42
Ian Akkerman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>