Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Napoleon is talked out of invading Russia …

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Napoleon is talked out of invading Russia …
    Posted: July 13 2023 at 18:44
…how does European and world history unfold?

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2023 at 03:20
We would discuss this in French.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2023 at 05:40
Or in Russian; they had plans to invade the French Empire even before Napoleon made his trip. 
And Europe would have become the Greatest Democracy of the World, of course.
Only Great Britain would have remained independent - nobody wanted them, because they always drive on the wrong side of the road...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2023 at 05:49
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

We would discuss this in French.

ClapLOL
Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2023 at 05:51
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Or in Russian; they had plans to invade the French Empire even before Napoleon made his trip. 

Kees, you've been watching too much of The Great!

Only Great Britain would have remained independent - nobody wanted them, because they always drive on the wrong side of the road...

LOL

Drew Fisher
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2023 at 06:22
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Hi,

We'll just have to wait for the new movie to find out! Tongue
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2023 at 07:56
Napoleon may not have been the sole designer of his jacket, but I believe he had a hand in it.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2023 at 11:26

Kees, you've been watching too much of The Great!

Nah, I'm twisted enough of my own account. But that series looks quite interesting, of what I read about it - will try to lay my hand/eyes on it. Thanks.

That the Russians wanted to invade the French Empire somewhere in 1810 (or maybe 1811) is a fact. Had Napoleon married Anna Palovna instead of Marie-Louise, we maybe would be discussing this in French, but in the end the Sixth Coalition saved you from this. Or, probably more accurate, the things that happened a century later are more responsible for the fact that we discuss things in English, here. Anyway, Europe was quite a mess in the early 19th century and the French Empire had many enemies; with or without the Russian campaign, I'm not sure if things would have been that different.

Maybe an other question could be of much more importance: How would European and World history have unfolded if Napoleon had decided to contemplate the beautiful landscapes of Elba from 1814 onwards till his - always untimely - death in 1842, accidentally overrun by a goat while picking flowers?

Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2023 at 12:22

Maybe an other question could be of much more importance: How would European and World history have unfolded if Napoleon had decided to contemplate the beautiful landscapes of Elba from 1814 onwards till his - always untimely - death in 1842, accidentally overrun by a goat while picking flowers?

Does this question mean to imply that you think Waterloo was some kind of key nexus in World/European history?

Drew Fisher
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2023 at 13:30
Ah, no, I wasn't thinking that, but I can see why you ask, and indirectly maybe I do... Mine is mostly a layman's view on these historical things, but I actually think that that 7th Coalition War was just a last belch of Napoleon against an unstoppable movement of creating nation-states based more on culture and identity than on territorial conquests. The coalitions were maybe already an expression of that. Without the 7th Coalition War France might still have been a monarchy, but probably a weak one. That might be the biggest thing to have led to a different evolution in Europe, but probably also a minor thing in the bigger scheme of things (the creation of Nation-States, industrialisation, etc.).

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2023 at 21:25

Does this question mean to imply that you think Waterloo was some kind of key nexus in World/European history?

Hi,

Can't say ... but Napoleon's loss at Waterloo, also had a lot of other issues around it ... for one thing, the Spanish were also involved, which might suggest that there was a lot of animosity towards him already by that time. 

A lot of this is in the "SHARPE" series with Sean Bean. The enemy were the French the whole time, and while I do not know Spanish history much, the series seems to suggest that the Spaniards were very important. The series kinda ends with Waterloo, even though there are a couple more episodes.

The weird thing is Napoleon supposedly thinking of going right, and then going left ... and then ... I'm guessing that his troops were spread out way too much, even though, supposedly, he had more than anyone else.

Edited by moshkito - July 21 2023 at 07:51
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2023 at 22:25
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,
We'll just have to wait for the new movie to find out! Tongue

I saw previews today, it looked the best of the fall films.   Joaquin Phoenix has played brutal emperors before, (though he looks nothing like Bonaparte) I'm sure he'll give a very interesting performance.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2023 at 23:08

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2023 at 23:42
Proggers aren't the only finicky folks.  

Post Reply Post Reply