Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roye Albrighton for Psychedelic/Space Rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Network Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roye Albrighton for Psychedelic/Space Rock
    Posted: July 16 2023 at 03:47
ROYE ALBRIGHTON is a vocalist, guitarist, and bassist who was born on February 6th, 1949 in Coventry, West Midlands, United Kingdom. He was a founding member behind the well-known progressive rock band NEKTAR and had key writing and performance credits on numerous acclaimed albums such as "A Tab in the Ocean", "Remember the Future", and "Recycled". ROYE ALBRIGHTON only recorded one solo studio album during his career titled "The Follies of Rupert Treacle" which was released in 2002 and was written in 1998. Being a multi-instrumentalist, he decided to record the album by himself. The album has received mostly positive review amongst critics and fans, but features a different sound than what was common on most NEKTAR albums. ROYE ALBRIGHTON passed away in 2016 in Poole, Dorset, United Kingdom; leaving behind a highly respected legacy as one of the founders of the progressive rock genre.

Artist Photo:

Discogs - https://www.discogs.com/artist/579978-Roye-Albrighton
RYM - https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/roye-albrighton
Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/artist/3q1dOCoJGw6dSvIFx4enuM?si=gaEWOqZuQDqXVd61KSOB3g

The Follies of Rupert Treacle (Studio Album, 2002):
1. Sandman (4:47)
2. The Follies (6:29)
3. Rupert's Moon (6:09)
4. Pass The Fuzz (7:03)
5. You're Not Alone (3:56)
6. Treacle Star (5:01)
7. Dream (5:02)
8. Rupert's Lament (6:25)
9. Gabrielle's Bridge (7:22)
10. The Stranger (8:08)

Total Time 60:22

Line-up:
- Roye Albrighton / electric guitar, vocals, guitar synthesizer

Releases Information:
Producer, Engineer, & Recording Engineer: Roye Albrighton
Remastering: Paschal Byrne

CD Voiceprint - VP260CD (UK, 2002)

Album Cover:

Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2023 at 17:15
I see he was evaluated and rejected by Crossover sometime in the past. He'll have a fresh start with us at PSIKE, but please be patient as the team is currently at an impasse.
Prog Network View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Network Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2023 at 00:26
Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

I see he was evaluated and rejected by Crossover sometime in the past. He'll have a fresh start with us at PSIKE, but please be patient as the team is currently at an impasse.
Thanks, take your time.

Here are a few video links that might help:

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Network Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2023 at 22:23
Are there any updates on Roye Albrighton's addition to the website?
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2023 at 06:12
From: https://awesomeprog.com/pa/chart/psych (see completed artists section, he is currently on page 2, entries 11-20):

Roye Albrighton: Move

Move: 3, Gordy, earlyprog and siLLypuPPy

History:
3 months ago Gordy set section to New.
3 months ago Gordy voted Move.
3 months ago earlyprog voted Move.
2 months ago siLLypuPPy voted Move.
2 months ago Gordy set section to Move.

Presumably to Crossover, but I don't have access to the team thread in the collab zone to see what comments were made.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2023 at 06:14
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

From: https://awesomeprog.com/pa/chart/psych (see completed artists section, he is currently on page 2, entries 11-20):

Roye Albrighton: Move

Move: 3, Gordy, earlyprog and siLLypuPPy

History:
3 months ago Gordy set section to New.
3 months ago Gordy voted Move.
3 months ago earlyprog voted Move.
2 months ago siLLypuPPy voted Move.
2 months ago Gordy set section to Move.

Presumably to Crossover, but I don't have access to the team thread in the collab zone to see what comments were made.

The crossover team rejected this artist. 
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2023 at 06:23
Yes, and there haven't been any new albums as far as I know, so that's going to be the end of it for now.

And the rejection in Crossover was quite a resounding one: https://awesomeprog.com/pa/chart/crossover_prog (scroll down the page a short distance):

Roye Albrighton: Rejected

No3: Cristi_3rd, DamoXt7942 and progaardvark

History:
7 months ago Cristi_3rd set section to New.
7 months ago Cristi_3rd voted Time.
7 months ago DamoXt7942 voted Unsure.
7 months ago progaardvark voted No.
7 months ago Cristi_3rd voted No.
7 months ago DamoXt7942 voted No.
7 months ago DamoXt7942 set section to Rejected.

Edit: He died in July 2016, so I guess there is unlikely to be anything new from him to allow a re-evaluation to take place.

Edited by yam yam - October 26 2023 at 06:28
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Network Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2023 at 07:30
I appreciate the update, but I was inquiring about Roye Albrighton's acceptance or lack there of within the Psychedelic/Space Rock genre. I had already been informed that he wasn't accepted into the Crossover Prog category.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2023 at 12:38
Yes, and I think you'll find that my first post above answered that inquiry for you - giving you a copy of the votes that the PSIKE team cast (which were all 'move' to another subgenre) and the link to that team's chart history on AwesomeProg (where the PSIKE team is still referred to as psych). I suggested that this 'move' decision by the PSIKE team would most likely have been to Crossover, to which Cristi responded that they'd already been rejected there. I therefore posted the details of the Crossover evaluation here as well to show that the evaluation by them was only carried out a few months earlier than the one by the PSIKE team, and that the rejection in Crossover was a pretty strong one.

I hope that clears things up for you.
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2023 at 12:44
We have Roye Albrighton on the jazz rock/fusion chart for evaluation, so I'm assuming that's where PSIKE moved him to (although I'm on that team as well, and don't seem to remember that happening). I'll have the team give him a listen, but personally speaking, I think he would have been a better fit for crossover.
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Network Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2023 at 13:20
Thanks for the updates. Please let me know if you require any further information concerning Roye Albrighton. 
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2023 at 13:54
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

We have Roye Albrighton on the jazz rock/fusion chart for evaluation, so I'm assuming that's where PSIKE moved him to (although I'm on that team as well, and don't seem to remember that happening). I'll have the team give him a listen, but personally speaking, I think he would have been a better fit for crossover.
Wow, I'd never even considered that possibility! Embarrassed According to Gary Hill, writing in Music Street Journal in 2003: "It seems that the album was considered by Roye Albrighton to be a bit of an experiment to show just what was possible with the synth guitar. He felt that the songwriting here was to take the back seat to the demonstration of an instrument with which he was smitten".

Listening to the album now on spotify, and it certainly has some quite mellow jazzy textures in places on most of the tracks, but whether that's enough to get him the nod in JR/F remains to be seen. It certainly sounds like a progressive rock album of some form or another to these ears, though a difficult collection of music to assign to any one sub genre. He's on Proggnosis as 'Prog (Uncategorized)'.

Edit: Another band that Roye Albrighton featured briefly in was Snowball, a German based multinational outfit that we have on the site in JR/F, and whose first album 'Defroster' he contributed guitar and vocals to. It sounds quite similar overall in terms of both style and jazz content to 'The Follies Of Rupert Treacle', so maybe there is hope yet...

Edited by yam yam - October 26 2023 at 14:30
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2023 at 14:36

Excuse me for being ignorant, but what's PSIKE? I looked it up on Google and it said PSIKE is in Istanbul, although I'm sure that can't be right. Confused
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2023 at 14:40
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Excuse me for being ignorant, but what's PSIKE? I looked it up on Google and it said PSIKE is in Istanbul, although I'm sure that can't be right. Confused

It's the collab team that evaluates the psych, krautrock, electronic, and raga suggestions for the site. But hey, maybe the name came from the place in Istanbul LOL
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2023 at 14:44

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

It's the collab team that evaluates the psych, krautrock, electronic, and raga suggestions for the site. But hey, maybe the name came from the place in Istanbul LOL
Okay, thanks.  Thumbs Up I feel like a right Turkey now. Embarrassed
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2023 at 14:56
^ Psychedelic Indo-Raga Krautrock Electronic
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2023 at 15:20
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

^ Psychedelic Indo-Raga Krautrock Electronic

I thought it was just an XTREME KraZy spelling of psyche(delic). But now I learned it also has a hidden meaning!
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2023 at 16:26
A bit of background info for newer members here:

The PSIKE team was created in late 2014, when admins agreed that some genre teams who had a lower volume would benefit from being merged with other low volume teams of the same style.

Post Rock and Math Rock were merged to a single team managing the Post Rock/Math Rock sub genre, and Psych/Space Rock, Indo Prog/Raga Rock, Krautrock, and Prog Electronic were merged into a single team after the departure of Philippe, a collaborator who had managed the Indo/Krautrock team and the Prog Electronic team for quite some time.

As far as the creation of PSIKE was concerned, the original teams had low membership and relatively small volume, and the styles of the four sub genres are all relatively similar. While not as connected as Post Rock and Math Rock, they exist in the more psychedelic sphere of prog rock, and therefore it was not difficult to envisage the teams responsible for them working as a single unit.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Network Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2023 at 00:51

After relistening to the album today I can see the album's jazz rock/fusion influences. There are several moments that come together to shape the essence of a jazz-inspired release. Thumbs Up
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2023 at 03:41
Hi,

Not sure this album fits as "progressive" ...  in the end, it is just magnificent material that is really pretty and the guitar work is outstanding. it could, easily, fit into some label like "Easy  Listening", but it's creativity and design is far more than a simple tune, and the work, is, indeed, exceptional, when one considers the incredible number of copy bands that get added along just to keep up with all the Joe's out there!

The funny thing is not hearing Roye ... he was such an incredible, and expressive, singer who obviously believed his material and worked it into a perfection that you're not going to find easily. In this particular album, Roye doesn't sing, and we're left to simply enjoy a guitar ... and it's not thrashing, but it certainly tears up the work ... but it also shows the material that he might have been hoping NEKTAR could take on, but was obviously out voted. 

I was thinking that there should be a spot/area for artists like this ... they are already in the progressive realms, but another side of them, which might have been a look at a future (as an example) is all of a sudden not as important as the previous work. I find this a very logical and nice step for Nektar and if I was in that band, I would even consider doing some of this stuff in concert. You can also see some of the bass work that Roye might have wanted to try, which Mo was not able to do it, or learned as yet.

Oh well ... life ... it all goes to dust sooner or later! Rupert Treacle ... I tip my hat ... you deserve it!

PS: Not sure I would call this "jazz-rock" fusion ... it is, like NEKTAR much more rock-rock fusion than it is something with jazz thoughts in it. From day 1, Roye and Nektar were a lot more about "rock" than anything else. It's the day in the life of a preacher, and it is an odyssey ... to dust and a grave, sadly enough. This album deserves more, but it likely won't be accepted because it doesn't sound like all the other stuff already added to the library of lists.

Edited by moshkito - October 27 2023 at 03:57
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>