Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steve Reich help needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steve Reich help needed
    Posted: August 02 2023 at 11:45
Yesterday BBC Radio 3, in its lunchtime composers lives slot, had an interview with SR, and a very moving piece was played, something with trains in the title, and the Holocaust was the theme.
It was an amazing piece.
Title please? And also, teach me about SR, what should I listen to? And what album will I find that piece on?

Thanks
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2023 at 12:08
The composition is called Different Trains and can be found on quite some editions since it is one of his better known works. I personally have the one with the Kronos Quartet: Electric Counterpoint/Different Trains (I think he might have composed it for the Kronos Quartet, but I may be mistaken about that.

Other major work: Music for 18 Musicians (also available in different versions; I have two of them). Personally I very much like his "Phases" compositions and Four Organs. Depends a bit on how experimental you like it...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2023 at 12:13
Thank you.
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2023 at 12:45
I highly recommend Reich's Variations for Winds, Strings, and Keyboards.

It appears on an album with John Adams's Shaker Loops, performed by the San Francisco Symphony.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2023 at 12:56
I have a few of his works, all are very good, my personal ranking would be

Music for 18 musicians
Sextet / Six Marimbas 
Phase Patterns / Pendulum Music / Piano Phase / Four Organs
Octet / Music for a Large Ensemble / Violin Phase
Runner / Music for Ensemble and Orchestra
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2023 at 13:11
Just played Steve Reich's Four Organs•Phase Patterns (1970) (with Philip Glass). Outstanding.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2023 at 13:32
^ Yes, I got the same. It's outstanding indeed. Saw it performed live once and that was utterly impressive (you imagine the concentration of the players!).

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2023 at 13:33
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

^ Yes, I got the same. It's outstanding indeed. Saw it performed live once and that was utterly impressive (you imagine the concentration of the players!).

Wow! When/where?
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2023 at 13:59
That must have been in 2002 in Strasbourg, during the Musica contemporary music festival. But it was not with with Reich and Glass; I don't remember the musicians. They performed a couple of other pieces by Reich (Violin Phase, a.o. - exceptional too!).

LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2023 at 11:58
Thank you all for the tips.
 Post Reply Post Reply