Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - If i were to write a review about The Gathering...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

If i were to write a review about The Gathering...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If i were to write a review about The Gathering...
    Posted: August 11 2023 at 13:00
If i were to write a review about The Gathering's debut album Always on Progressive Archives.

Ive had a look at their profile on Progressive Archives, and no one has wrote a review about their debut album Always.   As i know this album very well, this is what i would write about it if i were to do so........

I guess that it is not particually surprising that no one has yet wrote a review about their debut album Always, as per say, The Gathering did not become known as a "progressive" band until the later part of the Anna Van Giersbergen or the beginning of the Silje Wergeland era.    The Gathering have regularly changed musical direction during their long career, but however on their debut album they began as a Death Metal/Doomdeath metal band.   But to regard the debut album however as just a standard Death Metal album would be to do it an unfair diservice.   As even back on this debut album they did still show signs of progressive influences.   I first heard the song Second Sunrise all the way back in 2001 when i was not yet a prog fan or even knew what Progressive Rock/Metal was.   But with this particular song i could tell that it was not a straight forward Death/Doomdeath metal song, as it has a very methodical approach and delivery, a trait often seen in Progressive Rock songs.

Another recognisable trait to this album has progressive influences, is in the length of the songs, the first 4 tracks alone all exceed 6 mins, track 1 and 2 both exceeding 7 mins.   If you are a fan of Opeth and My Dying Bride (2 bands that also have profiles on Progressive Archives), then this album may very well be right up your alley.
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2023 at 15:17
There are 6 reviews for this album at the moment.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2023 at 20:56
Don't need permission either!
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2023 at 23:20
Originally posted by Greenmist Greenmist wrote:

If i were to write a review about The Gathering's debut album Always on Progressive Archives.
If you were to, I'd say
Originally posted by Greenmist Greenmist wrote:

an unfair diservice
is butter upon bacon (and needs an extra s)
Greenmist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2023 at 00:53
Originally posted by projeKct projeKct wrote:

There are 6 reviews for this album at the moment.

I never saw any reviews for Always because none showed up on the front page of their profile, so i assumed there were none.

Quite a mixed baggage of reviews for it.    If i were to write a review for their 2nd album Almost a Dance, im afraid the review would not be very long, and i would only give it a 1 star rating.   Why would i give it only a 1 star rating?, because of the bloody vocalist on that album, he seriously cant sing for sh*t.  He sounds like a baby crying while he sings and he butchers what otherwise could have been a good album.   Its a shame Bart Smits did not stay with the band till Mandylion.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2023 at 02:25
The Gathering's debut is an album a bit ahead of its time, I guess they took notice of Paradise Lost's Gothic (from the year before) and created a more atmospheric death-doom sound. I enjoy Always more than Gothic. 
A shame that line-up did not make more music. 
 Post Reply Post Reply