Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roger Waters Time Redux

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roger Waters Time Redux
    Posted: August 25 2023 at 06:20
Second release. Whadda think? I give it one generous star. Horrid.

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2023 at 06:25
I give it four stars - excellent. Much better than the Money redux.
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2023 at 06:34
Not sure what to make of it really.

Was it really necessary to remake The Dark Side Of The Moon? Ermm
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2023 at 06:38
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

If you never heard the song before, or of Roger Waters, would you still rate it four stars?
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2023 at 06:59
The song is very very dreary, much like Roger himself.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2023 at 07:00
I don't really have any issues with the more mellow approach he is taking, and maybe not even the singing style so much. The addition of strings is interesting but could have been so much more than just flourishes between the lines of the verses. I wanted more of that deep cello sound. I don't like the drums in the mix, particularly the sounds of the snare and tom-toms. I'm not actually that bothered by the instrumental break. It actually fits this style. Having said all that, it pales in comparison to the original. It's missing that raw energy that complemented the lyrics. I'd give it a 5/10. Nice for a long elevator ride.

This was better than the Money redux. That felt like he put the song in a dishwasher and added a heaping bowl of pseudo-intellectual drivel. When he took it out of the dishwasher, he dressed it up with fuzzy socks and a propeller beanie.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2023 at 07:59
Originally posted by Octopus II Octopus II wrote:

It's not really a remake.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2023 at 08:03
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

If you never heard the song before, or of Roger Waters, would you still rate it four stars?

Sure, context matters. I think that this album, since it is a "redux" version of another, doesn't make much sense on its own. Having listened to DSOTM countless times for decades, I can't possibly imagine how the redux version sounds to someone who has never listened to DSOTM. I guess I would rate it one star lower, shrugging it off as an average singer-songwriter experiment. But the point is that it isn't. Because the monumental original album exists.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2023 at 08:12
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

... Having said all that, it pales in comparison to the original. It's missing that raw energy that complemented the lyrics. I'd give it a 5/10. Nice for a long elevator ride.

This was better than the Money redux. That felt like he put the song in a dishwasher and added a heaping bowl of pseudo-intellectual drivel. When he took it out of the dishwasher, he dressed it up with fuzzy socks and a propeller beanie.

Hi,

There is only one thing that bothers me, with some of these comments ... I can't believe how we WORSHIP the GODS of antiquity, specially when it comes to the arts. None of you have (more than likely) heard 5 different versions of the 5th, and how they differ from Stokowski to Karajan to Bernstein ... and yet we sit here and contemplate how much we can lash and hit on RW because he wanted to redo a few old songs ... so what?

The interpretation is actually very nice, and stands up well, although the last part kinda falls off the surface of the song, and I think that is where (in the album) things were "adjusted" to make a transition ... which caused some of the lyrical, or musical events to have a smaller life than it originally had.

This sacred purity of the originals is really sad for me ... it says we don't appreciate music in its various forms ... we have to suck up to the GODS of the hit, instead!

Please stand up for PROGRESSIVE music ... and different interpretations, often have a new tone and idea about it all ... heck, where is the rap version of MONEY? 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2023 at 08:19
Sorry its dreadful, the whole clock, drum, instrumental intro in the first two minutes has been replaced with dreary poetry, the soaring guitar section in the middle has gone, drums are much more in front but and much slower and more boring.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2023 at 08:26
One of the most UNNECESSARY releases I have ever seen. Geek
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2023 at 08:29
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Sorry its dreadful, the whole clock, drum, instrumental intro in the first two minutes has been replaced with dreary poetry, the soaring guitar section in the middle has gone, drums are much more in front but and much slower and more boring.

Hi,

I wonder if we say that because we have heard the "original" so many times. No one answered the question how would you feel if it had never been done and this was a new song ... and maybe the issue here is that we're not capable of looking at it as a new song ... we have to "compare it" ... and as such, there are a lot of differences, but those don't necessarily make it worse, unless you have Tiny Tim doing the vocals for you ... or Pee Wee Herman!

If I listen to it as something new, my review is already listed above ... the last part is showing how the album was "transitioned" to make room for the next piece and "keep it" within a "concept" atmosphere, which the next song, for me, in that case, would not fit! But like another song later, maybe if it was sung by Roy Harper, we might enjoy and appreciate the thing better! I'm not a fan of that song, btw, but the visuals were far out in the show.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2023 at 09:28
I do find some of Waters phrasing a bit weird
Ian

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2023 at 09:30
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I wonder if we say that because we have heard the "original" so many times. No one answered the question how would you feel if it had never been done and this was a new song ... and maybe the issue here is that we're not capable of looking at it as a new song ... we have to "compare it" ... and as such, there are a lot of differences, but those don't necessarily make it worse, unless you have Tiny Tim doing the vocals for you ... or Pee Wee Herman!

If I listen to it as something new, my review is already listed above ... the last part is showing how the album was "transitioned" to make room for the next piece and "keep it" within a "concept" atmosphere, which the next song, for me, in that case, would not fit! But like another song later, maybe if it was sung by Roy Harper, we might enjoy and appreciate the thing better! I'm not a fan of that song, btw, but the visuals were far out in the show.

Oh I agree, but we do have the original and it wonderful. One thing this has done is make me go back to the original which I haven't listened to in ages due to overplay. It's still wonderful.
Ian

mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2023 at 09:31
Time to say goodbye ....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2023 at 09:35

You’re describing the essence of “redux”.
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2023 at 09:45
Nowhere Near as bad as 'Money' 

Gilmour's Best Solo (In My Opinion) was sorely missed. 

I enjoy spoken word in songs, but I am not a fan of his 'Poetry'
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2023 at 10:15
I liked it, 3/5, better than money lol (although I didn't find it bad either)
I don't think I'll be able to listen to 40 minutes of that though if all songs of the album have similar mod.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2023 at 10:17

You’re describing the essence of “redux”.

Right but I'd like the redux to make it 'better' or at least 'different but of similar quality'. Not suck.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - August 25 2023 at 10:40
Ian

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2023 at 10:25
Originally posted by Octopus II Octopus II wrote:

Maybe Roger needs the money. He should write a song about that. Oh, wait...
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>