Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

is this Van Der Graff or ELP?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: is this Van Der Graff or ELP?
    Posted: September 05 2023 at 04:39
Dear Sire, I have decided to catch up on albums that passed me by years ago and one such is Pawn Heart by Van Der Graff Generator which I found on Amazon Music. The first track up was something called One Theme, I think, but it sounded very much like an ELP track I cant remember the name of. Who wrote it, was it nicked, what is the ELP track?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2023 at 05:33
"Theme One" is a bonus track on some Pawn Hearts versions/ version. It was written by George Martin (of The Beatles) and later covered by Van der Graaf Generator. I guess it reminds me a bit of ELP's cover of Aaron Copland's "Fanfare for a Common Man", or a little like ELP's version of "Peter Gunn" possibly?
Just a fanboy passin' through.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2023 at 06:13
It does sound like an ELP track but I can't think of a specific one that the melody sounds like. Maybe something from Pictures at an Exhibition?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2023 at 06:14
Just discovered that Cozy Powell did a cover of this - a bit faster than the original as you might expect.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2023 at 06:26
^ What a coincidence! Only a couple of hours ago (before reading this thread), I was watching an interview with David Jackson, and the topic of "Theme One" came up. He mentioned that Cozy Powell also did a cover of this.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2023 at 10:05
Nick Magnus (keyboard player with Steve Hackett at one time) also covered it.

Theme One doesn't remind me of any ELP track (possibly Hoedown but that's a stretch) but Emerson's previous band the Nice did a track called Brandenburger (part of the Ars Longa Vita Brevis suite) in 1968. There might have been some influence there although there was a lot of organ based prog at that time.
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2023 at 15:48
The Barbarian?
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2023 at 19:13
Triumvirat??
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2023 at 19:35
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Triumvirat??

Quill!
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2023 at 19:42
It sounds a bit like a cross between History of Mystery by Triumvirat and Peaches en Regalia by Zappa.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
HarryT View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2023 at 04:04
Im amazed its not ELP or why they didnt cover it. Touch of Pictures At An Exhibition perhaps. And who knew George Martin had that under his belt?
 Post Reply Post Reply