Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New guy here - Regarding "self promotion"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasternWind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New guy here - Regarding "self promotion"
    Posted: September 11 2023 at 16:50
Hi!

Im new here and this is my first post. I will be straight and let you know that my main reason for coming here is not to "self promote" per se, but rather to ask for genuine input from others here to get some feedback on my music.

I realize that this might not at all be what this forum is for and may even be prohibited. Is there a specific place here on the forum where this sort of thing is encouraged? I am genuinely looking for feedback, specifically on mix and that that sort of thing, less so about composition/songwriting... 

If Im out of line please let me know before I even start such a thread...

Oh, also... Since Im unsure of what exactly qualifies as "prog" im also concerned that my stuff might be wrong in that regard as well. I think it's progressive in part at least, but sure ain't no Zappa you know... 

I already feel like I may be out of my depths here haha :P
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2023 at 18:21
You may want to go to gearspace.com for feedback about your mixes. There are people there that would tell you how to improve. Here we could just comment on the composition. Good luck.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2023 at 19:02
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2023 at 19:08
Originally posted by EasternWind EasternWind wrote:

Hi!

Im new here and this is my first post. I will be straight and let you know that my main reason for coming here is not to "self promote" per se, but rather to ask for genuine input from others here to get some feedback on my music.

I realize that this might not at all be what this forum is for and may even be prohibited. Is there a specific place here on the forum where this sort of thing is encouraged? I am genuinely looking for feedback, specifically on mix and that that sort of thing, less so about composition/songwriting... 

If Im out of line please let me know before I even start such a thread...

Oh, also... Since Im unsure of what exactly qualifies as "prog" im also concerned that my stuff might be wrong in that regard as well. I think it's progressive in part at least, but sure ain't no Zappa you know... 

I already feel like I may be out of my depths here haha :P

Welcome to PA, I think you'll fit right in!
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2023 at 19:16
As a fellow musician (kind of) who has released a demo and asked people to review it, use the 'Music and Musicians Exchange' subforum. Don't concern yourself with what's prog, just make the music you want to make, an experiment. If you like prog, that'll probably come out in the music. Not a lot of people respond to the posts there though (very sad). I want to try and make it my goal to listen to as many of them as possible. To help new artists and such...

Edited by Frets N Worries - September 11 2023 at 19:17
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
EasternWind View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasternWind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2023 at 14:19
Thanks for the answers everyone! I'll check out that subforum for sure :) Im gonna work a bit more on my song and I'll post it later. I also think getting some feedback on composition might be good, although Im a bit stubborn when it comes to taking notes on that front haha... I get that I won't get a lot of response to it but just a little bit of input would be helpful so im gonna hope for that :) 
 Post Reply Post Reply