FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best and Worst prog lyrics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2023 at 02:22
Worst, Porcupine Tree Fear of a Blank Planet - "An xbox is a god to me", etc
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2023 at 21:55
Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

Personally I cringe when I hear:

"How did he lose
Six Million Jews."

I'm a little curious as to specifically why... that whole track is very anti-religious.

Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

As for "Lucky Man", Lake wrote those lyrics when he was 12 and it was nothing more than a filler to begin with. It was only the magnificent first take moog solo at the end that lifts it above mediocre (and if I'm not mistaken, it is probably ELPs best known/ most popular song).

In Australia (at least), ELP's version of "Fanfare for the Common Man" became synonymous with sporting events for decades following the Montreal Olympics in 1976.

On television, I sometimes hear parts of "Karn Evil 9" played in shows set in the '70s.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2023 at 21:30
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

The best and the worst lyrics all in one song....

ELP - Still You Turn Me On

Every day a little sadder
A little madder
Someone get me a ladder 

Yeah, the backstory to those lyrics is better than the lyric itself, and it wasn't so bad as to prevent them naming a whole tour after them.

Personally I cringe when I hear:

"How did he lose
Six Million Jews."

As for "Lucky Man", Lake wrote those lyrics when he was 12 and it was nothing more than a filler to begin with. It was only the magnificent first take moog solo at the end that lifts it above mediocre (and if I'm not mistaken, it is probably ELPs best known/ most popular song).

Yes, Lakes lyrics have always been somewhat soft around the edges, however the debut does feature Lakes best lyrics (IMHO) with both "Take a Pebble" and "Knife Edge".
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2023 at 19:29
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Why do so many prog-critics complain about lyrics regarding "Fairies," "Elves" etc.??

I'm hard-pressed to think of any prog music with those lyrics! 

Because nothing screams Prog as much as Blind Guardian.

Prog, and I think Prog fans, have often been very associated with the fantasy genre generally by people. So you have things like Uriah Heep's Demons and Wizards, Hawkwind music, numerous references to Lord of The Rings (Camel with Nimrodel..., Rush with Rivendell...).

I heard someone once ask something like, "As you like Prog, does that men you are also into Dungeons & Dragons?" I think it's broad fantasy stereotype associated with Prog, and with kinds of heavy rock and power metal.... And I think the cape and costumes add to that fantasy image.

Even Van der Graaf Generator had "Necromancer". Actually, I find the association of prog with fantasy somewhat off-putting, though I'm ok with science fiction in prog.

There is quite a bit in prog-related - Queen's "Fairy Feller's Master Stroke," Uriah Heep's "Wizard" etc. 

However, the lyrics of Yes, King Crimson and Genesis, although fanciful, do not go down the rabbit hole of fantasy in the form of Dungeons & Dragons etc.   Beats the hell out of me how that started!!  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2023 at 19:12
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Why do so many prog-critics complain about lyrics regarding "Fairies," "Elves" etc.??

Prog, and I think Prog fans, have often been very associated with the fantasy genre generally by people. So you have things like Uriah Heep's Demons and Wizards, Hawkwind music, numerous references to Lord of The Rings (Camel with Nimrodel..., Rush with Rivendell...).

I heard someone once ask something like, "As you like Prog, does that men you are also into Dungeons & Dragons?" I think it's broad fantasy stereotype associated with Prog, and with kinds of heavy rock and power metal.... And I think the cape and costumes add to that fantasy image.

Even Van der Graaf Generator had "Necromancer". Actually, I find the association of prog with fantasy somewhat off-putting, though I'm ok with science fiction in prog.

Edited by I prophesy disaster - September 17 2023 at 19:16
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2023 at 18:42
I often don't pay much attention to lyrics, but the good lyrics quoted for Rush do stand out. I like the lyrics from Between the Wheels:

You know how that rabbit feels
Going under your speeding wheels
Bright images flashing by
Like windshields towards a fly
Frozen in the fatal climb
But the wheels of time
Just pass you by
Wheels can take you around
Wheels can cut you down

And I have a hard time with the lyrics in Dog Years:

In the dog days
People look to Sirius
Dogs cry for the moon
But those connections are mysterious

It seems to me
While it's true that every dog will have his day
When all the bones are buried
There is barely time to go outside and play

Dog years, it's the season of the itch
Dog years, with every scratch it reappears
Dog years, for every sad son of a bitch
Dog years, with his tail between his ears

Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2023 at 18:15
Pink Floyd:
Worst: I though I though of everything

Best: just the entirety of 'Time'
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2023 at 18:07
The ELP ladder thing has some other deeper significance. I don't remember the details but if you google it it might pop up.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2023 at 18:05
Rush (both from the song territories with the last one from the Manhatten project):

Best: "A whole wide world an endless universe yet we keep looking through the eye glass in reverse. Don't feed the people but we feed the machines. Can't really say what international means.

Worst (and from the same song): "Better people better food better beer."

Also from same album:  "All the brightest boys to play with the biggest toys."

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 17 2023 at 18:08
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2023 at 17:43
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

A little madder
Someone get me a ladder 

Yeah, that one always struck me as pretty damn bad!!  LOL

He could have used "puff adder" (One of the most widespread venomous snakes, puff adders are native to Africa and parts of the Saudi Arabian peninsula),  "bladder,"  "fatter" (certainly applied to Greg Lake) and so forth.  Those all would have been better than "ladder." 
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2023 at 16:13
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Neal Morse sings about his imaginary friend a lot. Similar to fairies and elves to me.   
LOLLOL   Classic, Richard Dawkins would be proud of you for that one !

Edited by JD - September 17 2023 at 16:13
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2023 at 16:12

A little madder
Someone get me a ladder 
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2023 at 15:18
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Neal Morse sings about his imaginary friend a lot. Similar to fairies and elves to me.   

Comparing Neal Morse's friend to fairies and elves is like comparing homepathy to magic. :)

Anyway, if you want some real prog fantasty shіt there's always Three Magicians Suite Part 1 by Banzai.

Edited by Hrychu - September 17 2023 at 15:19
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2023 at 12:51

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2023 at 11:36

Edited by Logan - September 17 2023 at 11:38
Two Tracks Per Many of My Fave Acts: A Youtube Playlist
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2023 at 11:23

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2023 at 10:56
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

LOL
this one never gets old LOL
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2023 at 10:56
“I don’t like country music, but I don’t mean to denigrate those who do. And for those who like country music, denigrate means to ‘put down.'” – Bob Newhart
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2023 at 06:09
^Nothing Oasis did is worse than 'slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball, where were you while we were getting high?"
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2023 at 02:42
Oasis
Best:
  • Cast No Shadow
  • Gas Panic
Worst:
  • Little James
  • Stop Crying Your Heart Out (the music is kickass but the lyrics are too vanilla and repetitive)
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>