Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Mercury Tree's 2023 release, Self Similar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Mercury Tree's 2023 release, Self Similar
    Posted: September 18 2023 at 07:22
Don't know how this one is flying under everyone's radar but this trio of virtuosi have finally mastered the synthesis of prog metal with their fascination/experimentation with microtonal sound. Self Similar is an astonishing album--with lots of beautiful-yet-out-of-the-box music! And you can listen to it FOR FREE on Bandcamp!

Also, why is no one listening to the AMAZING debut from Oiapok--my runaway album of the year?!!!! It's "future jazz" at its most contagious! (Also available FOR FREE on Bandcamp)

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2023 at 07:36
Who do you think does microtonal better, The Mercury Tree or King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard? It seems The Mercury Tree does more in-your-face microtonal, particularly on Self Similar, which I'm listening to at the moment.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2023 at 07:44
Thanks for the info. There are many albums no one is listening to. Oiapok has 9 PA ratings. That is more ratings than the new releases from Eyeless Owl or Marco Minnemann. 

Btw, Oiapok's debut is not for free on Bandcamp. $10.66 or more for download.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2023 at 07:45
I have listened to Oiapok's Oisolün. I really like that album and regretted forgetting it for my list of tracks of the current decade thus far (2020s). I was glad to see it mentioned.

Here are the bandcamp links to the albums you mentioned:

https://themercurytree.bandcamp.com/album/self-similar

https://oiapok.bandcamp.com/album/oisol-n-first-album-release-02-09-2023

I've started on Self Similar, listening now.... Lots to like musically, but I'm not keen on the vocals, which sound generic to me of kinds of alt metal that I have not been keen on, but I may grow accustomed to them. Obviously talented. But now I'm getting more okay with them. I like Dreamwalking, and I take it back out the vocals, there is a range across the album just as there is eclecticism to the album (and I did find an instrumental). Will listen properly later.

Edited by Logan - September 18 2023 at 07:49
Two Tracks Per Many of My Fave Acts: A Youtube Playlist
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2023 at 09:23
I'll tak this moment to bring attention to Ventifacts, the collaboration between Ben Spees of The Mercury Tree and Damon Waitkus of Jack O' The Clock. With Connor Reilly of The Mercury Tree on drums.

https://ventifacts.bandcamp.com/album/ventifacts

On PA with 0 ratings. A track was included in my list of 2020's favorites. Their second album is a cover R.E.M.'s Chronic Town with just 1 rating on PA.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2023 at 10:09
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Who do you think does microtonal better, The Mercury Tree or King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard? It seems The Mercury Tree does more in-your-face microtonal, particularly on Self Similar, which I'm listening to at the moment.

I love microtones. I used to experiment with tone generators using MIDI software, and would often play around with quartertones. Two intervals in particular were the focus of my attention: 5½ semitones and 8½ semitones. These two intervals were interesting because they are harmonic. In equal temperament, 5½ semitones is approximate to the ratio 11/8, and 8½ semitones is approximate to the ratio 13/8 (compounded with 3 octaves gives integer ratios of 11 and 13, respectively). In spite of the harmonic nature of these intervals, they still have the howling wolf sound of other microtonal intervals. Because of my experimentation with these intervals, microtonal music actually sounds like familiar old friends to me.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
edefakiel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edefakiel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2023 at 11:04
Dynamic Range of 5. 

There is no way in hell I'm going to listen to this. 

Bands need to stop destroying their music with insane masterings. 

It is a shame, because even metal bands like Horrendous, Behold the Arctopus and TesseracT have released highly dynamic albums this year. Things seem to be gradually improving. 
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2023 at 15:19

Definitely The Mercury Tree. They do it with a passion--for a living, whereas The Gizz-Wizzes do it for fun: as one of their many daily diversions and experimentations.

Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2023 at 15:26

I love microtones. I used to experiment with tone generators using MIDI software, and would often play around with quartertones. Two intervals in particular were the focus of my attention: 5½ semitones and 8½ semitones. These two intervals were interesting because they are harmonic. In equal temperament, 5½ semitones is approximate to the ratio 11/8, and 8½ semitones is approximate to the ratio 13/8 (compounded with 3 octaves gives integer ratios of 11 and 13, respectively). In spite of the harmonic nature of these intervals, they still have the howling wolf sound of other microtonal intervals. Because of my experimentation with these intervals, microtonal music actually sounds like familiar old friends to me.

Thanks for that educational contribution! 

My brain and ears have gradually gotten used to musics that use microtonals because I've been listening to them for a bit. Dave Fiuczynski [The "Fuze"] with Hiromi Uehara [and elsewhere] was kind of my introduction to it--but have since encountered it a lot more--especially from Asian bands. Also, having fallen in love with Indian music back in the late 1970s [thanks to John McLaughlin, Zakir Hussein, and Usted Ali Akbar Khan], I think I was almost prepared for the microtonal world. It's the chromatic world that gives me more trouble (accessing and liking).  

Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2023 at 15:27
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

I'll tak this moment to bring attention to Ventifacts, the collaboration between Ben Spees of The Mercury Tree and Damon Waitkus of Jack O' The Clock. With Connor Reilly of The Mercury Tree on drums.

https://ventifacts.bandcamp.com/album/ventifacts

On PA with 0 ratings. A track was included in my list of 2020's favorites. Their second album is a cover R.E.M.'s Chronic Town with just 1 rating on PA.

Thanks for the heads up, Geo! I can't wait!

Drew Fisher
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2023 at 07:14
Microtonal Madness!!!
The Prog Corner
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2023 at 07:31
^ Definitely!

And that Damon Waitkus-Ben Spees collaboration is incredible! I'm listening to it for the third time through since last night!

Drew Fisher
 Post Reply Post Reply