Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Songs you added in your early phace, that fitted
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Songs you added in your early phace, that fitted

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Songs you added in your early phace, that fitted
    Posted: September 22 2023 at 13:12
In your early days,you might have in the early days of your prog development, added songs you thought fitted your idea as prog. But you now understand is not quite prog, yet stil important to your history as a fan of music and is stil important part to your prog playlist......stil.

I came upon this thought when Gary Wright passed away. In my early days of prog music development, Dream Weaver was part of my mindset of the sound i reccognized as prog. Similar to prog songs by Kansas and more proggy side of Styx and ELO, so not epic symp prog but art pop /sophisticated art rock.

Edited by Icarium - September 22 2023 at 14:01
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2023 at 13:37
Nights in White Satin and A White Shade of Pale are the two earliest prog songs that appealed to me back in 1967, although I had no idea both songs were destined to become prog classics in days of future passed. After all, I was only eight years old at the time and Progressive Rock hadn't even been invented yet. Smile
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2023 at 14:24
In my time, and my neck of the woods, Kansas, Pink Floyd, ELP, Rush, and others weren't called prog. So I really can't think of any song.
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2023 at 14:29
For me, that would definitely be Queen and the pre-Perry era of Journey. Those two bands harbored some of my earliest musical memories, and the former eventually led to me checking out Rush, who were probably the first full-fledged prog band I got into. And after that, it was full speed ahead Smile
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2023 at 16:33
So, I didn't really even know the term prog until probably 1972 or so, I think. It's hard to remember such an obscure moment. Mostly, in the yearly years, I was familiar with Psychedelic Music or Art Rock as descriptors. But, maybe this is the first song I ever hear that made me think about music differently.
I was 10 yrs old at the time.

Edited by JD - September 22 2023 at 16:37
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
CarrieVera View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarrieVera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2023 at 03:04
I also love the Fire song.
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2023 at 03:30
Simon Dupree And The Big Sound - 'Kites', a wonderful single from 1967. Later became Gentle Giant!

Along with Thunderclap Newman's 'Something In The Air', my favourite singles from the late 60's.  Smile
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic, JRF/Canterbury, Avant/Zeuhl

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2023 at 04:42
Toto, around 2012. Even got into a brief editing war at the time with another Wikipedia user over whether they fit the prog definition or not LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply